a serious man

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810041776/info
anyone see this yet?
i love, love, love coen brothers' films....really look forward to it. seems from the reviews it has the usual quicky coen stamp on it. 8-)
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    It does look good. Haven't seen it advertised over here yet though.

Bought Burn after reading on sat and watched it sat night - so funny, funnier 2nd time round.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Claireack wrote:

Bought Burn after reading on sat and watched it sat night - so funny, funnier 2nd time round.

i find all the coen films get better and better with repeated viewings, even if most of em are fantastic on first viewing!

a serious man just opened here friday. i don't like going opening weekend, too busy, but thought maybe someone has seen it. love to hear opinions. as i am off for pj this coming weekend :mrgreen: , got to wait until the following sunday, matinee with hubby... 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• piaget77piaget77 Posts: 156
    It's incredible. One of their best. See it as soon as you can.
    piaget77 wrote:
    It's incredible. One of their best. See it as soon as you can.

exactly what i want to hear!
    AWESOME!
    i will be seeing it ASAP, but that just happens to be 11.08. i am also hoping that by then it opens at our "favorite" theatre. it is playing locally, but would prefer our fave place. besides, i have a gift card there too. 8-)

awesome, awesome, awesome to know it's so good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I saw a cinema trailer for this last week .... it looks fantastic .. when it's got the Coen stamp on it I go see it

Oh Brother Where Art Thou is in my top three of favourite films of all time
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    anyone see this yet?
    i love, love, love coen brothers' films....really look forward to it. seems from the reviews it has the usual quicky coen stamp on it. 8-)

The user reviews absolutely killed it..the majority gave it Fs and yet it says B- overall, but that's yahoo for you..loved 'Burn After Reading,' but this does seem like one of those insider boring flicks..let us know what you think..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    stargirl69 wrote:

Wow, in your top 3 really? Anyway, an extremely fun movie..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    The Champ wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

Wow, in your top 3 really? Anyway, an extremely fun movie..

:):) Yep it is :):) .... I had no burning desire to see it when it first came out,but went along with friends and absolutely loved it .... I went to see it a number of times then bought it on dvd and the soundtrack :):)
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    The Champ wrote:
    anyone see this yet?

The user reviews absolutely killed it..the majority gave it Fs and yet it says B- overall, but that's yahoo for you..loved 'Burn After Reading,' but this does seem like one of those insider boring flicks..let us know what you think..

yes, but critics loved it. i tend to agree with the NY Times more than any other, and they rave about it.....so all systems go for me there. 8-) i find more often than not, i love coen brother flicks.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Claireack wrote:

I laughed harder during the last scene of Burn After Reading than at any movie in recent memory.

"what'd we learn here?"
    "i dont know sir."
    "i dont fuckin know either."
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    This lot are usually pretty good with their reviews. And 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=136614
    nuffingman wrote:
    This lot are usually pretty good with their reviews. And 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=136614

good read. :)
    i've not read any bad ink on it yet.

and this:

You can bet, whatever you think, the Coens would disagree with you. Who cares? Watch, puzzle, rewatch and, most importantly, enjoy yet another beautifully constructed and shot Joel and Ethan show. And if we see a more exciting final shot of a movie this year, we’ll eat our yarmulke.

i like.
    :mrgreen:

i can't wait to see this flick!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• gonna watch this now...woohoo. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Claireack wrote:

I laughed harder during the last scene of Burn After Reading than at any movie in recent memory.

"what'd we learn here?"
    "i dont know sir."
    One of my favourite movies of all time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    anyone see this yet?

It does look quirky and interesting. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Claireack wrote:

"what'd we learn here?"
    "i dont know sir."
    One of my favourite movies of all time.

i love the people who hate burn after reading. they don't know what they're missing.

"uhh...osborne cox"
    "yes"
    "uhh...we have yooouuuur shit."
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I saw it, I gotta be honest, I didn't like it that much. I enjoyed it more after the movie was finished when I reflected on it.

But that's just me. I know many will like it though.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Very somber movie!
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Very somber movie!

understatement!

seriously, it had moments that i laughed out loud, but you bet.....serious stuff. and the ending....:wtf: :| :shock: well done! i liked it. didn't love it, but liked it a lot....i prefer my coen brothers flicks to be more irreverent.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Very somber movie!

understatement!

seriously, it had moments that i laughed out loud, but you bet.....serious stuff. and the ending....:wtf: :| :shock: well done! i liked it. didn't love it, but liked it a lot....i prefer my coen brothers flicks to be more irreverent.

My girlfriend got depressed while watching it....she left the room while I watched the last hour of the movie.
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    Huge Coen brothers fan. I saw this movie a couple weeks ago and thought it was just alright. It was kind of slow, but I still enjoyed it, just not as much as some of their other movies.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • I watched this last night. It was a tad bit depressing, although I believe that the story was meant to be a semi-modern day retelling of the Book of Job.
    That being said, the ending was horrible. Just horrible.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    As a Jew, I can completely relate to this central theme of this movie. I find it so frustrating that our religion has no answers to the questions others have answered. Who are we to know if there is a heaven and hell? Who are we to possibly understand God's plan?

As far as the movie's ending: SPOILER ALERT?

The movie ends with a lot of loose ends: What were his doctor's results? Did the tornado destroy the son and his school? Will the prof get tenure?

How else could the Coen's end the movie? They sort of play God because these questions are left unasnwered and you, like the central character, are left hanging without a single clue as the what happens at the end (of the movie and of life).
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Love what you took away from the movie David. I was left at the end with nothing more than a feeling of "wtf?!?" However, this put it into a great perspective. Thanks!
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    "Gimme that fucker."
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think i lost a lot of this movie not being jewish ...
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited February 2010
    Watched it this past weekend. I didn't know what to think of it initially when it ended. After I reflected on it though, I began to understand more....but the ending kind of pissed me off as I was left with a lot of questions. But, I think that was the intention of the Coen brothers....to leave it up to the viewer.

But I would've like to have an affirmation of his doctor results.

All in all, I liked it. But his wife annoyed the shit out of me.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Love what you took away from the movie David. I was left at the end with nothing more than a feeling of "wtf?!?" However, this put it into a great perspective. Thanks!

thanks for Love, love.