Philly Subway Issue!!!

being shovedbeing shoved Posts: 24
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Just thought everyone should be aware of the pending strike. You may want to make a back up plan if they shut down the Broad Street Line.

SEPTA Strike Could Affect World Series

Getty Images SEPTA’s largest union voted unanimously Sunday to authorize a walkout less than a week before the Phils play their first home game of the World Series potentially affecting thousands of commuters.

In fact, if the walkout comes at the end of the week, it could wreck plan for about 8,000 fans trying to get to and from Citizens Bank Park. The first home game is Saturday and the Eagles and Phillies both play home games on Sunday.

"This is no joke. This is no hoax," said Willie Brown, president of Transportation Workers Union Local 234.

4,700 bus drivers, subway and trolley operators will strike if negotiations beginning Monday with SEPTA's management fail.

“We’ll negotiate for the rest of the week as long as we can, but this is our last week for working without a contract,” said Brown.

Workers have been without a contract since March 15. Both union officials and managament have talked on-and-off for several months but haven't been able to reach an agreement. Key issues they disagree on are wages, pension benefits and job security.

The union wants a wage increase of four percent each year and an increase in pension benefits from $75 to $100 for each year of service, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Management has offered two-percent wage increase but only in the last two years of a four-year contract. They also want to increase health coverage but are offering no increase in pension benefits.

While the strike would affect subway, trolley and bus service in the city, commuter rail service would continue to operate because those workers are represented by a different union.

The strike would also shutdown the crucial Broad Street Subway line into the South Philadelphia Sports Complex. Next Sunday the Eagles are scheduled to play the New York Giants at the Linc at 1pm. World Series games are scheduled Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

The last SEPTA strike in the city was in 2005. The 7-day walk out halted buses, subways and trolleys.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    You beat me to it. . . I was just about to post this:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... _ahea.html
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    Well that would totally suck. I better bring comfortable walking shoes b/c nothing is stopping me from making my way down to the Spectrum!
  • blkkatsblkkats Posts: 30
    URthekey wrote:
    Well that would totally suck. I better bring comfortable walking shoes b/c nothing is stopping me from making my way down to the Spectrum!

I agree - my hotel is out by the Airports, but only 3 miles. I will walk if I have to!

07/12/2003 - Hershey Stadium - York, PA

10/31/2009 - Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    bring in the scabs!!!!
  • deskilladeskilla Posts: 279
    Dammit.... popeye chicken is down the road from spectrum, subway made it easy
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    here's the plan

if you are driving to the show, you need to stop at the downtown orange line stations and pick up anyone with PJ gear on and drive them to the spectrum.

you will also need to drive anyone with PJ gear on back to the city after the show.

in return, we'll buy you a beer at the show. since you will be the DD, we will drink that beer for you. :lol:

ok, ok, the passengers will split the parking bill
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Just thought everyone should be aware of the pending strike. You may want to make a back up plan if they shut down the Broad Street Line.

SEPTA Strike Could Affect World Series

Getty Images SEPTA’s largest union voted unanimously Sunday to authorize a walkout less than a week before the Phils play their first home game of the World Series potentially affecting thousands of commuters.

In fact, if the walkout comes at the end of the week, it could wreck plan for about 8,000 fans trying to get to and from Citizens Bank Park. The first home game is Saturday and the Eagles and Phillies both play home games on Sunday.

"This is no joke. This is no hoax," said Willie Brown, president of Transportation Workers Union Local 234.

4,700 bus drivers, subway and trolley operators will strike if negotiations beginning Monday with SEPTA's management fail.

“We’ll negotiate for the rest of the week as long as we can, but this is our last week for working without a contract,” said Brown.

Workers have been without a contract since March 15. Both union officials and managament have talked on-and-off for several months but haven't been able to reach an agreement. Key issues they disagree on are wages, pension benefits and job security.

The union wants a wage increase of four percent each year and an increase in pension benefits from $75 to $100 for each year of service, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Management has offered two-percent wage increase but only in the last two years of a four-year contract. They also want to increase health coverage but are offering no increase in pension benefits.

While the strike would affect subway, trolley and bus service in the city, commuter rail service would continue to operate because those workers are represented by a different union.

The strike would also shutdown the crucial Broad Street Subway line into the South Philadelphia Sports Complex. Next Sunday the Eagles are scheduled to play the New York Giants at the Linc at 1pm. World Series games are scheduled Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

The last SEPTA strike in the city was in 2005. The 7-day walk out halted buses, subways and trolleys.

good find?