1 month after Backspacer release,how did it do? Did it sell?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2009 in The Porch
So its been a little over a month since the release of Backspacer. I think the album stayed on the top 10 chart for 2 weeks, and who knows its position now, but its clear it isnt raking in a ton of sales.

So overall do you think the album was a success? Did the press for Target, the commercial, the Rock Band content, having the album in a major shopping center, help the band all that much?

In the recent Spin article Stone said "Its been awhile since people said, 'I gotta go buy this new Pearl Jam'. If no one likes it I will be shocked"

And Ed said "alot of what we're doing right now, is getting new ranks of kids coming in".

So, did people say "I gotta get this new PJ album"? Is this album an underground hit? Is obviously isnt a hit sales wise, but is it big on the radio?

Has the band been getting new ranks of kids coming into the fold and liking the band, as Ed said they were hoping?

Is this still the same old "cult fan" band its been since 1994, or, is Pearl jam the new big thing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 'Cult' fanbase of 1994 era? If you consider being the biggest band in the world circa 1994 being a 'cult' fanbase...then sure.

Backspacer is doing fine sales wise considering the sales environment. The Fixer has been their biggest hit since 'Last Kiss'. All in all, I think things are going great for the band...it will all depend on how their next single does for it to reach gold status.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    beats me, but this is the first album since i've been a fan that i heard other people listening to. my neighbhor woke up to BS 3 mornings last week (could hear it in my bedroom) and it was blasting in the parking lot at best buy when i went yesterday. that's unusual.
  • beats me, but this is the first album since i've been a fan that i heard other people listening to. my neighbhor woke up to BS 3 mornings last week (could hear it in my bedroom) and it was blasting in the parking lot at best buy when i went yesterday. that's unusual.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing. My roommate (who is not a Pearl Jam fan by any means) is always asking for me to put on the new PJ album. Definitely seeing/hearing more non-hardcore PJ fans talking about it.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    beats me, but this is the first album since i've been a fan that i heard other people listening to. my neighbhor woke up to BS 3 mornings last week (could hear it in my bedroom) and it was blasting in the parking lot at best buy when i went yesterday. that's unusual.

its because its a great album
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Yes. It is working. I own and operate my own music school. I teach over 50 students a week (ages 6-15 mainly, and some old heads :twisted: ) Anyhow, for myself, I was like "I HAVE to get this record, and not just download songs, but buy the CD itself. I have said for several years now that the only way bands will be able to sell CD's is to give the fans something tangible extra with the item itself that you cannot download or get for free, something special. And the backspacer package is ALL THAT!! The extra concert downloads did it for me. Rock Band download is great for kids.

I teach these songs to every kid I can now. I will have to post some videos of their versions! They are loving it, and many have gone out and bought the CD themselves. So IMO it is working. Seeds are being sown. It is working short term and long term.

I think it will rise in the charts again. This philly series should be a big wave of exposure and promotion.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Yesterday I even saw a commercial on a German TV station playing Got Some in the background... :?
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • I don't know how it did in the number of albums sold...but "THE FIXER" closed the final game of the Yankee v. Angels series last night..."ALIVE" was the opener!! GO PJ! It's definitely catchin on. I just wish my local radio stations would play more of the album, like "JUST BREATHE". I never knew how the radio works the songs...I know they have to pay to play them, but do they also have to buy rights to begin with?
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited October 2009
    yes..i saw a commercial in Greece TV that have the fixer and last night i was watching sport channel with some matches result and the music was ALIVE!!!
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

Yeah I've noticed the same thing. My roommate (who is not a Pearl Jam fan by any means) is always asking for me to put on the new PJ album. Definitely seeing/hearing more non-hardcore PJ fans talking about it.

I have a few friends that mentioned buying it and liking it, and these are people that haven't paid much attention to PJ in 10 years. There seems to be a lot more positive word of mouth buzz around this album.
  • beats me, but this is the first album since i've been a fan that i heard other people listening to. my neighbhor woke up to BS 3 mornings last week (could hear it in my bedroom) and it was blasting in the parking lot at best buy when i went yesterday. that's unusual.

I have a few friends that mentioned buying it and liking it, and these are people that haven't paid much attention to PJ in 10 years. There seems to be a lot more positive word of mouth buzz around this album.
    alot of people just remember them from mtv unplugged only
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Yes. It is working. I own and operate my own music school. I teach over 50 students a week (ages 6-15 mainly, and some old heads :twisted: ) Anyhow, for myself, I was like "I HAVE to get this record, and not just download songs, but buy the CD itself. I have said for several years now that the only way bands will be able to sell CD's is to give the fans something tangible extra with the item itself that you cannot download or get for free, something special. And the backspacer package is ALL THAT!! The extra concert downloads did it for me. Rock Band download is great for kids.

I teach these songs to every kid I can now. I will have to post some videos of their versions! They are loving it, and many have gone out and bought the CD themselves. So IMO it is working. Seeds are being sown. It is working short term and long term.

I think it will rise in the charts again. This philly series should be a big wave of exposure and promotion.

Why would you have kids playing BS songs? Teach them songs from Ten, Vs. or Vitalogy. Or how about Zep , the Stones , the Who, etc... Backspacer songs will not be remembered in a few weeks. They're just not that good.
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i think they waited too long for the second single to drop. it's been awhile since the fixer debuted and there's so many stronger songs to pick from for round 2.