Buying new guitar..suggestions??

Backspacer17Backspacer17 Posts: 6
edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want an LP copy but im not sure which brand to go with. I hear Epi's LP's are almost the same as a Gibson, and I hear Agile's AL3000 is better than an Epi's LP and you get a bigger bang for your buck. Do you think I should save a few hundred bucks and buy an Agile or go with an Epi?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    The epi's are a very decent guitar at a fair price. The weak part of the epi is the pickups. They're pretty microphonic and can give you some serious feedback in certain live situations.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • I have one of the Epis from the late 90s which generally have a pretty bad reputation. I just changed the (crappy!) pickups and now I'm quite satisfied with it. It's nothing fancy but it does a decent job.
  • In the Les Paul clone arena, there are two guitars that stand out to me: Pretty much all the ESP guitars, and the PRS SE single-cut. I own an Epi Les Paul myself, and the pickups are definitely the weak spot with those. But a pair of Seymour Duncan pickups will fix that pretty easily (and pretty cheaply, too).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Buy the Epi, put a set of Duncan Antiquity PUs in her, pay a good guitar tech to install the pickups and set the guitar up (should cost you about $100 just for the PU install and a real set-up...remember, this guitar will need quite a bit of set-up work....even with my Gibsons, I pay $40 for a real set-up before I even try to use them) and you will be golden........enjoy yourself!!!! :)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Custom 77 is the way to go! If you haven't heard of this company than shame on you :shock: They make some seriously nice LP "clones". I use the "" because I can't really even consider them clones. My friend owns one and I have to say hands down it is just as good as a Gibson LP, if not, better. Don't be fooled by their price. They're so cheap because they only advertise through their site and nowhere else. This is the place to go! I will probobly buy one of their guitars within a month or so. :twisted:
    http://www.custom77.com/html/custom77_Eng.html
    Run and tell the angels that everything is awwwwrigghhtttt...-Dave Grohl, Wembley Stadium
    If it's illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail! -Kurt Cobain
  • I would like to buy an epi but theres so many other brands out there that im sure are 10 times better they just are not a popular brand. Like jamesmonzo1 said a Custom 77 is an excellent brand to buy a copy LP from. Im thinking about the 77 but the only thing is, Im not sure if i can find one to mess around with before i buy one off the internet cause no one knows about them!! Haha
  • Naw, I've played custom 77's many times before. they just don't like to advertise. Sucks because they could make some serious cash :twisted:
    Run and tell the angels that everything is awwwwrigghhtttt...-Dave Grohl, Wembley Stadium
    If it's illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail! -Kurt Cobain
  • Might be worth considering Reverend also...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    Personally, I would save up a bit more and get a Fender Telecaster. The Tele is my favorite guitar by far. The sound, the feel, it's just all so great.