Riot act

xsmytxxsmytx Posts: 162
edited October 2009 in The Porch
So today I met with a friend who works for epic and while talking about the Philly shows coming up,we started talking PJ albums. I told him I heard songs from Riot Act off boots, but never listened to the album in full. So him working for epic, we went to his office and he dug thru some albums and then he handed me Riot Act. Nice I thought!! Well no, not exactly. After listening to it, I thought WTF happened?
It sounded like an album that was a clutter of B-sides that were in their demo phase. I thought that they could of had Mike go off on a bunch of parts(the parts he does are SICK!), and something was missing from Jeff. It's just a very strange album! Not as bad as I expected but seriously WTF Happened?? I really like You Are off of it.
What do you think is a better album?
Riot Act or S/T?
Sorry to all the Riot Act fans! Hopefully it grows on me!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    I like every Pearl Jam album, obviously some more than others, but then I remember Orwell, all animals are equal but some are more equal than others. Riot Act appeared to have some experimental tacks on it that appear to come out of left field, but I think they stand up against the other material.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's a very moody and atmospheric album.. not for everyday, but it really hits the spot when appropriate.
  • It's a very moody and atmospheric album.. not for everyday, but it really hits the spot when appropriate.
    Riot Act does not complete me.....

actually...

Riot Act blows.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's a very moody and atmospheric album.. not for everyday, but it really hits the spot when appropriate.
    Riot Act does not complete me.....

actually...

Riot Act blows.........
    Meh.. it used to be my favorite.. Cant Keep, Save You, You Are and Green Disease are still awesome and favorites of mine.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,065
    Every album and every song a band puts out is going to be what you make out of it.... I like to consider myself a true fan just for the fact every direction Pearl Jam takes on their records I go with it cause that's my favorite band. When other bands drop new albums sometimes I'm not into it cause their not my favorite band so whatever, in the end it's all about the music the band is feeling. With Riot Act and Binaural there was a different vibe going on with the music cause that was a different time in the bands life as is our own and those are two of my favorite albums from PJ.. If you ever watch that 9 munute clip about Back Spacer Eddie talks about making excessive records and what not.. Maybe it's becasue every album they have brought out was during another phase in my life as their own which is why every album means something to me... I was growing as they were growing as a band...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Attaway77 wrote:
    Every album and every song a band puts out is going to be what you make out of it.... I like to consider myself a true fan just for the fact every direction Pearl Jam takes on their records I go with it cause that's my favorite band. When other bands drop new albums sometimes I'm not into it cause their not my favorite band so whatever, in the end it's all about the music the band is feeling. With Riot Act and Binaural there was a different vibe going on with the music cause that was a different time in the bands life as is our own and those are two of my favorite albums from PJ.. If you ever watch that 9 munute clip about Back Spacer Eddie talks about making excessive records and what not.. Maybe it's becasue every album they have brought out was during another phase in my life as their own which is why every album means something to me... I was growing as they were growing as a band...

great post.
  • WO83886WO83886 Posts: 61
    I'd give it time. Like all PJ albums. One listen will not do the job. After my first listen to Binaural I was not feeling it. After a few more and ultimately a couple weeks later I loved it and still do. Riot Act is the same way. Ten, Vs, Vitalogy are albums that are just so good right off the bat. Riot act makes you delve deeper. It grows on you and you ultimately grow with it and it becomes f'n awesome.
    1/2 full and can't keep are really good. Give them time and they will be favorites. I really like Thumbing my way and I am mine a lot. Green disease and Get Right songs that I did not like at all at first listen but now really enjoy. I think Ghost and Save You are tragically underrated. Solid rock songs and wish we got it more live. Good choruses and some room for Mike to absolutely wail.
    Love boat captain is beautiful and All or None make this album at least decent by itself. That song is fukin great.
    I do like the other songs with the exception of help help. Not a big fan.

Take some more uninterrupted time with it. Maybe you wont change your mind, but its so worth it if it does. It'll make the live versions of those songs much better experiences.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    1998 - 9/16 Mansfield
    2000 - 8/29 Mansfield, 8/30 Mansfield
    2003 - 7/2 Mansfield, 7/3 Mansfield, 7/11 Mansfield
    2004 - 9/28 Boston, 9/29 Boston
    2005 - 9/1 Gorge, WA
    2006 - 5/24 Boston, 5/25 Boston, 5/30 Washington D.C.
    2008 - 6/28 Mansfield, 6/30 Mansfield
    2009 - 9/30 Universal City(L.A), 10/1 Universal City(L.A), 10/6 Universal City(L.A), 10/7 Universal City(L.A)
    2010 - 5/3 Kansas City, 5/10 Boston
    2011 - 9/3 East Troy, 9/4 East Troy
    2012 - 9/2 Philly
    2013 - 7/19 Wrigley Field, 10/15 Worcester, 10/16 Worcester, 10/25 Hartford
    2016 - 4/8 Ft. Lauderdale, 5/1 MSG, 8/7 Fenway Park
    2018 - 8/18 Wrigley Field, 9/2 Fenway Park, 9/4 Fenway Park
    2021 - 9/26 Dana Point
    2022 - 9/3 Ottawa
    2024 - 9/15 Fenway, 9/17 Fenway

• the riot act is primo pearl jam.
  • Attaway77 wrote:
    Maybe it's becasue every album they have brought out was during another phase in my life as their own which is why every album means something to me... I was growing as they were growing as a band...

Wow...I can't begin to tell you how much this statement rings true with the majority of music in my life. But not as true as it does with each and every single Pearl Jam album. Riot Act is definitely a favorite of mine just based upon the crap that I was going through in my life. All or None...just wait until after the guitar solo and hold onto your seat for Eddie's vocals. There is some raw emotion there. Gets me everytime. LBC...what a great tribute to such a horrible tragedy. And Save You...extremely underrated.
  • Not my favorite PJ album, but I think Thumbing My Way has one of the most beautiful melodies Eddie has ever written. Save You is a classic PJ album 2nd song, up there with Hail Hail and Got Some. LBC, Cant Keep, You Are, 1/2 Full, and All Or None are all songs that I feel rate right up with the best they have recorded. And the sessions produced the best B-side they've done in years in Down. I think the albums downfall is that it is a little long, they could have made a really great 11 song record 7 years ago!