For anyone who has been close to the stage...

State of MindState of Mind Posts: 282
edited October 2009 in The Porch
do you think it would be a better experience to be front row but off to either side or to be back a few rows and be seated more in the middle of the stage? Would that make a difference regarding the sound or being able to see the whole band? If you could choose between those two options, where would you sit?

And I'd love to hear about any experiences people have had sitting up close!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• do you think it would be a better experience to be front row but off to either side or to be back a few rows and be seated more in the middle of the stage? Would that make a difference regarding the sound or being able to see the whole band? If you could choose between those two options, where would you sit?

I've been 2nd row dead center and front row in front of Mike. As far as sound goes, I think it's the same. As far as the show goes - There is nowhere on this planet I'd rather be than in front of Mike fuckin' McCready. Even if that means a few rows further. I've had a large variety of seats and I honestly cannot tell a difference anywhere on the floor in sound if you're in the first 10 or so rows.
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    If I am going to be in the first few row...I want to be RIGHT in front of Mike.
    :D

In San Diego. I had 5th row in front of Stone and I came across a guy that had 3rd row in front of Mike...I begged and begged to swap, and we did...plus a wad of cash.
  • i was in the 6th row in calgary in '05 (thank you 10c). lost my fucking shit at a rock concert that night, eh ev?
    12/07/93 Seattle; 12/09/93 Seattle; 06/01/03 Mt.View; 10/05/04 St.Louis; 03/18/05 Seattle; 09/04/05 Calgary; 09/05/05 Edmonton; 07/15/06 SF; 07/18/06 SF; 04/05/08 Santa Cruz (EV); 07/12/08 LA; 10/01/09 LA; 07/11/11 Oakland (EV); 09/03/11 PJ20; 09/04/11 PJ20; 07/19/13 Wrigley; 11/19/13 Phoenix; 11/23/13 LA1; 11/26/13 Oakland; 10/3/14 St.Louis; 04/11/16 Tampa; 04/13/16 JAX; 8/5/16 & 8/7/16 Fenway
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

In San Diego. I had 5th row in front of Stone and I came across a guy that had 3rd row in front of Mike...I begged and begged to swap, and we did...plus a wad of cash.

If Stone reads this ... he will cry. :cry:

:mrgreen:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    jimed14 wrote:

He'd probably want to be in front of Mike too.
  • do you think it would be a better experience to be front row but off to either side or to be back a few rows and be seated more in the middle of the stage? Would that make a difference regarding the sound or being able to see the whole band? If you could choose between those two options, where would you sit?

It would be a dream come true to be able to have seats right in front of Mike!
    Front row would be also amazing no matter where the seats were.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • My brother and I were 2nd row, little left of center at the Ed Sullivan show 3 years ago. Ed was right in front of us the whole show, a few times in arms reach. It was a short set, but the best concert experience I've had to date with any artist.
    Also, the fans who were chilling with us on the baking hot blacktop all day were amazing people. I never got to thank the girl who organized our "honor system" list, which made it possible for someone like me, with member number that's not as good, to get solid seats.
    If, by some chance you're reading this, Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwamCGQU7_s
    I'll ride this wave ... 
  • I was super lucky to be front row twice this summer. Calgary in front of Mike and Vancouver in front of Ed. Typically my seats are far back and I'd say yes the sound is different. Not necessarily better just different. The intensity is something I can't explain and I would take that over sound any day. Mike is so fun to watch up close and Ed is just mesmerizing.
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Posts: 543
    Another vote from someone that has been up front.

Mike's side pretty much > *
  • kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    veteran of around 50 shows, front row several times back in the GA days when I had to fight through the whole show not to have my feet taken out from under me. Once in row 1 in seats (not that I've ever really sat at a PJ show) right in front of Ed in '03, 2nd row in front of Stone in '06 & a few times in front of Mikey 3-5 rows back. In front of Mike is THE place to be!

Peace,
    KJ
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    I like to be infront of Jeff. This gives you a great view of Eddie and Stone (He always looks across the stage anyway) and of Mike. Jeff really gets into it and interacts with Mike all night. This way you've also got a good chance of getting a pick from either of them. Hopefully the Perth GA wont be too insane as I'll be taking my 11 year old step son to his first ever show - it will blow his brain to be in this spot and will be a great place to be to see Liam Finn and Ben Harper.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    I think the band should just let me dance around the stage like that guy from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573

So now we know why Stone was pissed off in SD! (see other thread) :lol:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • If I am going to be in the first few row...I want to be RIGHT in front of Mike.

Still can't believe you did that, I will never forget that San Diego show, fifth row, Mike's side was so incredible!!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I like it between Ed and Jeff :mrgreen:

Front row (never been seated in the pit, just GA front row), middle, slightly to the left... That's where I like to be.
  • Definitely anywhere between in front of Ed to in front of Mike. Much more fun on that side.

Sound is usually the same everywhere.

Absolute favorite is probably 2nd or 3rd row right in front of Jeff. I prefer it to row 1 even. The best of all worlds! Amazing!!
  • Amazing! My whole body is tingling just reading these stories of you all being front row! :lol: Even if I never win the lottery, I can live vicariously through all of you. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Amazing! My whole body is tingling just reading these stories of you all being front row! :lol: Even if I never win the lottery, I can live vicariously through all of you. Thanks so much for sharing!
    ditto
    and anywhere within the first 10 would be just fine with me
  • If I am going to be in the first few row...I want to be RIGHT in front of Mike.

Mike is a lot of fun, but I have actually done the opposite twice :)

I'm a Stone guy. If I can catch the groove he and Matt lay down together, I enjoy the show so much more. From the looks of this tour, he is giving his all too.

As to the far wings, I had 3rd row in Atlanta (Lakewood) on the siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide and couldn't even see Mike because of the speaker rack. Sucked. If you have the option, go 5 rows back in front of Ed.
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    I was front row for the Madrid gig a few years back. Mike side all the way baby!!!
  • I scored a front row ticket last summer (with my work bonus) to Mansfield II..in front of Stone...and while Mike is more active and throws handfulls of picks..while Stone throws none!!(Stone you bastard! you couldn't just toss one my way! :mrgreen: ) but i will say your chances for an Ed encounter are better on the Stone side as it seems Ed will be more prone to come over and pick up Stones slack (as far as interacting with the fans goes) that's how i got to shake his hand during a Mike solo! :D:D:D

but either way...if you're up that close who gives a fuck what side you are on?!?! it's going to be one hell of a night NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! i know it was one of the best nights of my life! i pray one day to return!(crossing fingers for Philly lotto!!)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Hope you didn't literally mean 'sitting up close'.

I've been front row for GA over here and its just the best thing on the planet.
  • redrock wrote:
    I like it between Ed and Jeff :mrgreen:

Front row (never been seated in the pit, just GA front row), middle, slightly to the left... That's where I like to be.

Diiirrrty Rita!!!! :D
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,284
    I've been front row for a lot of the shows but to me the best sound quality is 4th 5th row range dead middle there you get it all ,had 4th row dead center Hartford 08 great great sound 8-) ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jimed14 wrote:

He'd probably want to be in front of Mike too.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,863
    I've been front row for a lot of the shows but to me the best sound quality is 4th 5th row range dead middle there you get it all ,had 4th row dead center Hartford 08 great great sound 8-) ..
    8-)8-)

lucky enough to have been close several times

dead center is my favorite, but being in the first few rows in front of Mikey is a totally different experience
    you forget that the band is on stage and get lost in McCready's playing and jumping around
    he sure does make some funny faces

anyway, if you are lucky enough to be up close, any spot is good
  • Ive been front row about 15-17 times...Ive also been a few rows back in on all three areas- there is NOTHING like beeing right in front of mike. His interaction with the crowd, seeing the intensity on his face, watching his hands move, the eye contact- all amazing. No where better than front row any side.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com