guitar through a bass amp

walterfwalterf Posts: 46
edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
hello, i wanted to know if any of you play a guitar through a bass amp? i have a hartke 1415 bass amp and just started to play my guitar through it, i use a grunge box for distortion. it has a pretty good sound. also am i goin to ruin the amp by playin my guitar through it?

thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• walterf wrote:
    hello, i wanted to know if any of you play a guitar through a bass amp? i have a hartke 1415 bass amp and just started to play my guitar through it, i use a grunge box for distortion. it has a pretty good sound. also am i goin to ruin the amp by playin my guitar through it?

thanks
    i know plenty of people that play guitar through marshall bass heads. they give you more low end and are not so treble-ey. i have never tried it because i like a nice midrange-ey tone so it is not something i have any interest in. as far as i know the only way you can damage the amp is if you are using a bass head plugged into a guitar cab and the ohms on the head and cab do not match up. i am in no way an authority on this by the way, that is just what i have heard.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • walterf wrote:

thanks
    i know plenty of people that play guitar through marshall bass heads. they give you more low end and are not so treble-ey. i have never tried it because i like a nice midrange-ey tone so it is not something i have any interest in. as far as i know the only way you can damage the amp is if you are using a bass head plugged into a guitar cab and the ohms on the head and cab do not match up. i am in no way an authority on this by the way, that is just what i have heard.

Yeah, you would have to really try hard to damage a bass amp with a guitar signal itself. Bass amps can handle insane signal levels, so you shouldn't have any problem... especially if it's a combo amp and not a head/cab setup. Fewer options for making a mistake with the signal flow.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Oh hell yeah my Gib. Sg w/p90s sound killer through my buddy's ampeg cabinet!
    Run and tell the angels that everything is awwwwrigghhtttt...-Dave Grohl, Wembley Stadium
    If it's illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail! -Kurt Cobain
  • I use a Peavey TNT 130 Bass amp as a cabinet for my Fender Roc Pro. Really brings out the lower strings and makes for some powerful sounds.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • The old Fender Bassman amps of the 50's and 60's were some of the best guitar amps ever made. The original Marshall amp was modeled on a 50's Fender Bassman circuit.
  • The old Fender Bassman amps of the 50's and 60's were some of the best guitar amps ever made. The original Marshall amp was modeled on a 50's Fender Bassman circuit.
    +1
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy