Academy Award Question

pc_loadletterpc_loadletter Posts: 164
edited February 2008 in The Porch
sorry, i know this is OLD news, but ed not getting an award nomination is still bothering me. someone had posted on here saying the reason ed didnt get a nod is because guaranteed was not played during the film. it was just little cuts here and there with ed humming (thats what i heard.... ive never seen the movie YET). makes sense. BUT remember in 98 when miss misery and my heart will go on were both nominated? neither of them were played at all during either film until the closing credits. is this a new rule or did the academy actually snub ed????? lol
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• and the academy award for "best comedy act" goes to....

THE 10CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    None of Into The Wild's songs were good for Best Original. It also did not qualify for Best Original Score.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LongRd. wrote:
    None of Into The Wild's songs were good for Best Original. It also did not qualify for Best Original Score.

that was sarcasm, right? far behind and guaranteed were two songs that should have been nominated.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    that was sarcasm, right? far behind and guaranteed were two songs that should have been nominated.
    No, that wasn't sarcasm.
    I think Jay-Z did a better job with American Gangster even though that wasn't a soundtrack. I'm not even a Jay-Z fan.

I liked ITW at first but the more I listen the more I realized Eddie did a half-ass job on it.
    He probably saw a pre-screening,
    went into studio the next day and recorded the entire during that week.
    Sorry, but that's how I feel about that album.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LongRd. wrote:
    No, that wasn't sarcasm.
    I think Jay-Z did a better job with American Gangster even though that wasn't a soundtrack. I'm not even a Jay-Z fan.

I liked ITW at first but the more I listen the more I realized Eddie did a half-ass job on it.
    He probably saw a pre-screening,
    went into studio the next day and recorded the entire during that week.
    Sorry, but that's how I feel about that album.

That is a such a narrow view of the subject. While that may have been the case (the album was recorded quickly) it certainly does not come across that way. Sure the songs are short, but lyrically speaking Ed has out done himself. Most film critics agree that Ed's songs were an integral part of the films flow and theme.

I respect your opinion, but you are seriously in the minority here...
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • I read something official that said the reason Guaranteed didn't qualify to be nominated for Best Song was "it was too song-based". Now what the heck does that mean? It's a song, right? I'm still confused about that one.
    ...And he who forgets will be destined to remember.

...I swear I never took it for granted. Just thought of it now.
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    I read something official that said the reason Guaranteed didn't qualify to be nominated for Best Song was "it was too song-based". Now what the heck does that mean? It's a song, right? I'm still confused about that one.
    This is a category in which the voters involved routinely hand out awards to Disney films for songs written by Phil Collins and Randy Newman.

No more needs to be said.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I read something official that said the reason Guaranteed didn't qualify to be nominated for Best Song was "it was too song-based". Now what the heck does that mean? It's a song, right? I'm still confused about that one.

I think that was for Best Score, which would make sense - a collection of songs isn't really a score (at least not in the Academy's eyes).

As for no Best Song nomination, there's probably countless of reaons, but it likely just boils down to the fact that the Academy didn't feel that the soundtrack was Oscar worthy.