Boy in runaway helium balloon

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    CNN:
    The kid is alive and at home.

They should bitch slap both parents :twisted: ..great that the kid is safe ...

They spent the last 2 hours talking about this only to discover the kid in a box in the attic.
    Hooray for "news". hahahaha! :lol:
    it's worse than Geraldo and Al Capon'es vault!!! :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    dcfaithful wrote:
    This thing spread like wildfire, now didn't it?

That's the double edged sword of the internet/24 hr news cycle age. :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Thank God he's safe.

So, who set the balloon off?
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    The kid knew he F'ed up big time.... he is 6 and it's only natural that he might hide to avoid the consequences...

You all read way too much into this stuff.... ;)

This was best case scenario.... though imagine if he was on that balloon and landed safely in it... Oprah would of had a field day with this
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • I agree that his parents should pay the bill for this search.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    they're on to something though... home made baloons you say?

looks like might be able to make it to the philly shows after all! ;):)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    I agree that his parents should pay the bill for this search.

Agreed!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    mca47 wrote:

Agreed!

Let the news channels pay for it. They milked this for everything it was worth. reminded me of OJ's low speed chase. :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    The news channels were disgusting. And I'm disgusting because I watched a lot of it.

The parents are freaky though and I saw some video where the kid says, "We did this for the show." Was this really some kind of weird planned thing? Is this crazy family gonna be on the Today Show tomorrow?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    imalive wrote:

Let the news channels pay for it. They milked this for everything it was worth. reminded me of OJ's low speed chase. :roll:

Yeah, it was pretty disgusting.

That said, if a little kid called 911 and an ambulance and fire crew came to the house and found out it was a prank...guess who pays for it? The parents.

I see no difference.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Well, now that everyone is safe.. how cool of a story would this kid have had if he was on the balloon and did land safely after all of that!
  • imalive wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

Agreed!

Good point so why don't they split it then with the media. :lol:
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6UONWCq7A

I love the kid's honesty when ratting out the parents. They obviously planned this whole thing. "You guys said that...um...we did this for the show."
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    How could they put that little boy in danger like that??? Another example of 'Great Parenting'!!! :x

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • how does the kid hide for that long? If my son was missing, I would check every inch of my house.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • The kid knew he F'ed up big time.... he is 6 and it's only natural that he might hide to avoid the consequences...

You all read way too much into this stuff.... ;)

This was best case scenario.... though imagine if he was on that balloon and landed safely in it... Oprah would of had a field day with this
    I wish they would put Oprahs dumbass in a helium balloon......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Don't blame the media. This was a news worthy story... a 6 year old in a runaway balloon that travelled at 30 MPH for 50 miles... at 7,000 feet. Unknown outcome... That is NEWS. And what would any of you have done... if the station you were watching switched back to regular programming and broadcast 'General Hospital'? You'd change the channel to find the continuing story.
    Now, the follow on crap is media hype... yes. But, it is no longer news and moves into gossip.
    By the way... in my dangerous, unfounded, gross speculation... I think it was a hoax perpetrated by media whores who used their own children to get air time. I call it the 'OctoMom Syndrome'... the more you are on T.V.... the more you want to be on T.V., so you concoct ANYTHING to get there.
    I admit, i could be wrong... I'm guessing i'm right.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Cosmo wrote:
    Don't blame the media. This was a news worthy story... a 6 year old in a runaway balloon that travelled at 30 MPH for 50 miles... at 7,000 feet. Unknown outcome... That is NEWS. And what would any of you have done... if the station you were watching switched back to regular programming and broadcast 'General Hospital'? You'd change the channel to find the continuing story.
    Now, the follow on crap is media hype... yes. But, it is no longer news and moves into gossip.
    By the way... in my dangerous, unfounded, gross speculation... I think it was a hoax perpetrated by media whores who used their own children to get air time. I call it the 'OctoMom Syndrome'... the more you are on T.V.... the more you want to be on T.V., so you concoct ANYTHING to get there.
    I admit, i could be wrong... I'm guessing i'm right.
    i think that youtube video said it all...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Colorado police have publicly said that they will not charge the family,because if they did so, tehy were afraid othe rparents might be hesitant to call 911 or report a child missing, wary that it might cost them thousands if it turns out the kid is just hiding. Now if it turns out to be a hoax, something "for the show" then a fine should be the elast of the parents concerns, as they should be spending a decade in jail for endangering the lives of all the rescue workers. Now there's a video of teh takeoff, and it looks obvious that the kid is not in it. There's no passenger box attached
  • I wish they would put Oprahs dumbass in a helium balloon......

"Up, Up, an Awa-a-a-a-ay in my beautiful ballooooon..."
    "May you live in interesting times."
    Colorado police have publicly said that they will not charge the family,because if they did so, tehy were afraid othe rparents might be hesitant to call 911 or report a child missing, wary that it might cost them thousands if it turns out the kid is just hiding. Now if it turns out to be a hoax, something "for the show" then a fine should be the elast of the parents concerns, as they should be spending a decade in jail for endangering the lives of all the rescue workers. Now there's a video of teh takeoff, and it looks obvious that the kid is not in it. There's no passenger box attached
    I understand the concern of the Police Department.
    But, if it does indeed turn out to be a hoax put on by the adults to get on 'Good Morning, America' and the 'Today' show... then, they need to face the consequences. I'd start with the bill for the operational costs of a National Guard UH-60 and Colorado State Police Bell Jet Ranger for a start. Add the cost of the ground pursuit and emergency personel... as well as cops on the scene... that'll do it. I don't thing the Colorado Tax payers need to be funding a publicity stunt for media whores.
    And it's not like they can't afford it... they can use the money they waste building bullshit electronics to chase down goddamn tornadoes to pay the fines.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cosmo wrote:
    Colorado police have publicly said that they will not charge the family,because if they did so, tehy were afraid othe rparents might be hesitant to call 911 or report a child missing, wary that it might cost them thousands if it turns out the kid is just hiding. Now if it turns out to be a hoax, something "for the show" then a fine should be the elast of the parents concerns, as they should be spending a decade in jail for endangering the lives of all the rescue workers. Now there's a video of teh takeoff, and it looks obvious that the kid is not in it. There's no passenger box attached
    I understand the concern of the Police Department.
    But, if it does indeed turn out to be a hoax put on by the adults to get on 'Good Morning, America' and the 'Today' show... then, they need to face the consequences. I'd start with the bill for the operational costs of a National Guard UH-60 and Colorado State Police Bell Jet Ranger for a start. Add the cost of the ground pursuit and emergency personel... as well as cops on the scene... that'll do it. I don't thing the Colorado Tax payers need to be funding a publicity stunt for media whores.
    And it's not like they can't afford it... they can use the money they waste building bullshit electronics to chase down goddamn tornadoes to pay the fines.

what do you mean IF it turns out to be a hoax. the boy said when asked why he didnt come out of his hiding place when called cause he was told not to. his father couldnt shut him up quick enough.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    what do you mean IF it turns out to be a hoax. the boy said when asked why he didnt come out of his hiding place when called cause he was told not to. his father couldnt shut him up quick enough.
    I'm giving Daddy Douchebag the benefit of the doubt until the cops reveal their results.
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'm giving Daddy Douchebag the benefit of the doubt until the cops reveal their results.

i saw the tape so hell get no benefit of any doubt from me.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    good!
    The sheriff says no charges had been filed yet, and the parents weren't under arrest. He said he expected to recommend charges of conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, making a false report to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant.

Some of the most serious charges each carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091018/ap_ ... alloon_boy
    If any station decides to give these assholes a reality televison show, I'm declaring a full on, bin Laden class Fatwa on their asses.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,867
    Now the media is saying they had a deal with a show that "blurs the line of entertainment and news"...

Daily Show? Colbert? What the hell does that mean?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Cosmo wrote:
    Apparently the balloon couldn't support the weight of the child and all it would have took was an extra 30 lbs to keep the balloon from rising more than a few feet, something daddy douchebag should have known all along.
  • ah, the youtube/cnn interview is a classic douche-chill moment. sucks getting caught in a lie. maybe they should have picked an accomplice who was a better liar :)

10407-bigthumbnail.jpg
    ah, the youtube/cnn interview is a classic douche-chill moment. sucks getting caught in a lie. maybe they should have picked an accomplice who was a better liar :)

10407-bigthumbnail.jpg

pfft. what they shoulda done was do a stunt that didnt involve their child. if youre gonna fuck up parents do it on your own dont involve the kids. the little tykes have a habit of being truthful exactly when you dont want them to be. :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say