Les Paul Special v Worn SG - quick feedback needed

Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi

I'm looking for a first guitar for my son to learn on. I'm looking at a used LP Speical, burgandy with black pickguard from the mid 90s. Has P90s and a super low action. Is in pretty nice condition. The store want $699 with a flight case. I'm comparing it with a New (2009) Worn SG for $699 with no case.

I was origingally going for the SG because of it's lightweight body but I've never played one. I broke fingers and bacame a bass player so for the last 15 years I've really been out of the loop with guitars but I used to own a '69 LP Goldtop (I dropped it and smashed the headstock and it died) so I have a soft sport for Les Pauls.

The quick feedback is needed becasue I'm flying out on Thursday (It's Wednesday). Anyone have any advice?

Cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you reaaly have to play them to be able t odecide. Some of the worn SG's are OK and some aren't. And it depends a lot on what the mid 90's guitar is like? I have a 1995 LP Speacial in TV yellow with P90s which is an awesome guitar, but i like big necks with 11 guage strings. I would just buy the one that feels right (and super low actions are not always the best measure of a guitar)
  • I'd have him try them out, if possible. Otherwise, I'd say go with the SG. Yeah, cases are kinda important, but I think you can get a variety of tones with the SG where with the Special, you can't, really. Plus, with the SG's lightweight, it won't turn him off as much (I know I was turned off from Les Paul's after playing a Les Paul Mahogany).
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Both guitars I've tried feel pretty good. I know what you mean about the quality of the worn SGs - I've played three here in NYC and liked only one. One felt like a cheap copy of a gibson and the other appeared to ahave a bent neck - but one is really nice. A worn flying V I tried was appalling.

Apart from the weight difference the LP Special felt really good but with stuffed fingers on my left hand, I couldn't make tham wail and it's just been too long between plays for me.

I was never into the LP Studio or Special when I was playing, I had a deluxe, as did a few friends, but the price seemed pretty reasonable. I have never researched the line so I don't really know what to look out for on them.

I just want to start my kid off on a Gibson if possible. The weight and sound was the reason for the SG interest.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm a P90 man, so I'd go with the special.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V