Options

Was my mom ripped off?

Comments

• Options
    I still have no reply from the 10c, but I called up the company who sold the guitar..

I expressed my concern that if I wanted to, I could purchase 100 of these same exact guitars with the same exact autographs in the same exact spot. The manager got the tech guy on the phone and ripped him a new asshole for the guitar being on the site.

He assured me its one of a kind, and was taken off the site within a matter of minutes.

I guess thats good news?

Later on i'll post close up pics of the autographs.

EDIT: 400th post, NICE!

I thought that could be the case.

Keep us updated. Did you get any kind of authentication with the Guitar?

There should be a provenance provided w/ where it came from and when it was auto'd and who previously owned it.

I think you got a great Christmas gift, can't wait to see some pics.
    the Minions
  • Options
    A while back I sent a picture of my autographed copy of Ten to the Ten Club and received confirmation that it was a fake. Hopefully you won't receive the same news.
  • Options
    I still have no reply from the 10c, but I called up the company who sold the guitar..

I expressed my concern that if I wanted to, I could purchase 100 of these same exact guitars with the same exact autographs in the same exact spot. The manager got the tech guy on the phone and ripped him a new asshole for the guitar being on the site.

He assured me its one of a kind, and was taken off the site within a matter of minutes.

I guess thats good news?

I still see it on the website and I can still add a bunch to my cart.
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    Gangstacro wrote:
    I still see it on the website and I can still add a bunch to my cart.

the link to the item in post 1 still works, yes, but if you go to the home page and look through the memorabilia link (which is where i found it yesterday), it's not there anymore...and a search for pearl jam yields no results

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    The company your mother bought the autographed Pearl Jam guitar and drum head from is listed with the Better Business Bureau.

here's the link

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=100047032

I seriously doubt they are in the business of selling bogus autographs.

Looks like the company has an A rating.
    This may ease your mind some.

It still doesn't mean the autos are real, but... It's like having insurance if you want to get a refund.

Contact them if the company gives you any shit. (the BBB)
    But I'd be willing to say this company is striving to establish an honest reputation. Which is really hard to do in the memorabilia business. Everyone wants to rush to judgement on authenticity. (they should actually..no argument ..it's a cutthroat business)

Just use some common sense. Pearl Jam has actually dropped thousands of autos through the years. They have also signed many guitars for charity functions. They did it for the WM3 in Memphis on the Binaural tour.

The Galveston is a $250 guitar, so bunches of these guitars can be bought for cheap and sold "signed" by the band at bonafide charity events. PJ is known for this. Request this type of information from the company if they haven't provided it.

Don't let the naysayers get you upset and have a Happy Holidays

That honestly doesn't mean anything. I used to work for the BBB and being a member of the BBB doesn't mean they are reputable. It USED to, but not anymore.

All it means is you pay for a year to be a member, then if anyone has a complaint, you have the chance to respond to it, and the complaint gets filed without leaving a red mark on your record. The BBB is almost useless. It's a company, not a watchdog.
    I shit and I stink. I'm real, join the club.

A friend, he called, I didn't mention a thing. The last thing he said was, "Be sound". Sound. I contemplated an awful thing, I hate to admit. I just thought those would be such appropriate last words. But I'm still here.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    yes sir all the autographs are fake..there are absolutely no bonafide autographs on the market anywhere.

Nobody ever signed anything ...everything is fake.

Even MasterFramer's boobs are fake:D

after watching the HBO special via the link provided in this thread on the problem of fake sports memorabilia autographed items/signatures, it's truly astonishing to think about just how many fake signatures are circulating out there, no doubt overshadowing the few legitimate signatures. the honest sports memorabilia seller featured in the special said it best: "how can you compete when you're selling a legitimate autograph for $2000 and someone on eBay is selling a fake for $200, and people are snatching up the $200 items without a second thought?". it's clearly buyer beware, and clearly if it's too good to be true it likely is,...
    I know for sports autographs, there are companies that will authenticate the autograph for you. You send them the item, they analyze it and then determine if it is real or not. I'm not sure if they do musicians' autographs but it wouldn't hurt to look into it.

once again, i call attention to the HBO special linked above, and suggest you watch it and pay particular attention to the "legitimate" authenticator from Brooklyn who apparently was THE choice for the fake signature duplicators when it came to authenticating their fake merchandise,...this guy authenticated 100% of the items sent to him, never rejecting a single fake. that's not to say there aren't honest, reputable authentication companies out there, but again, it's buyer beware even when it comes to trusting an authenticator's opinion.

I guess thats good news?

if that puts your mind at ease, then who is anyone else to question you; however, a final word from the 10C would be VERY helpful in this situation, at least that's my thought for your benefit. i think due to the holidays there might be a delay in hearing back from the 10C, but i think it would be in your interest to wait and contact the 10C again perhaps by phone until you resolve the issue with them. your hard work and efforts would be rewarded with a definitive answer from them, i'd think.
    UndieTaker wrote:
    That honestly doesn't mean anything. I used to work for the BBB and being a member of the BBB doesn't mean they are reputable. It USED to, but not anymore.

All it means is you pay for a year to be a member, then if anyone has a complaint, you have the chance to respond to it, and the complaint gets filed without leaving a red mark on your record. The BBB is almost useless. It's a company, not a watchdog.

absolutely agree.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    UndieTaker wrote:

That's Bullshit!!!!

You don't just get accepted by the BBB by paying an annual fee. You have to have so many referrals and submit business plans and statements. Then they come on a do an inspection themselves.

Our company had to jump through hoops to get listed, then got 2 complaints within 60 days and got pulled from the BBB listing.

Think before you start spouting bullshit
    the Minions
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    That's Bullshit!!!!

You don't just get accepted by the BBB by paying an annual fee. You have to have so many referrals and submit business plans and statements. Then they come on a do an inspection themselves.

Our company had to jump through hoops to get listed, then got 2 complaints within 60 days and got pulled from the BBB listing.

Think before you start spouting bullshit

OMG, people are arguing about the credibility of the BBB!!.....a true sign of the apocalypse!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    OMG, people are arguing about the credibility of the BBB!!.....a true sign of the apocalypse!

Yeah really this has jumped from a dumb conversation to an ammazingly idiotic absurd conversation.

I just hope the guitar is legit.
    the Minions
  • Options
    Yeah really this has jumped from a dumb conversation to an ammazingly idiotic absurd conversation.

You have a skill in this area...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    You have a skill in this area...

yeah because I always get into arguments with the same set of pricks.

you...for example
    the Minions
  • Options
    heard anything from 10c/kat/sea?

• Options
    My bet is that this guitar is legit....2 reasons

1) The company's primary service is selling regular, non-autographed instuments. There is nothing obvious on the main page that they are selling autographed memorabilia, Autographs are just one of many choices that you can select for each instrument. If you are in the business of mass-producing fakes, why bother selling unsigned things.

2) The Pearl Jam guitar for $2600 (NO LONGER ON THE SITE) is small potatoes, there are many other signed guitars for prices well above $10k. Selling fakes that are pictures, baseballs, cds are relatively cheap both for the cheater and for the dupe. They target the largest fan base, the regular joe collector who is happy with the COA and even if it is a fake as long as it dupes his or her friends, whatever, it makes a nice conversation piece.

Going to the trouble of faking a guitar, which targets a much smaller group of more serious collectors comes with 2 major problems. First, your target is going to be much more wary, they are not going to part with $10,000+ so easily, even you, not likely a major collector, who got the item as a gift was concerned, hence you checked the website for some extra assurance. ?Fakers don't want to be tracked so easily.

The other problem with faking large, expensive objects is storage. Why fake guitars that will take longer to sell instead of pictures or posters which are easire to mass-produce, quicker to sell and more cost effective to store in large quantities.

It's sad that in everything we do nowadays our moments of excitement and joy are quickly followed with long periods of concern and scepticism of everyone.

I say Merry Christmas and enjoy that awsome present!
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Looks pretty good.I got a signed copy of PEARL JAM from my wife last christmas.Everyone looked pretty legit except for Stone's.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    For the past few weeks, my mother has been talking about how excited she is to give me my Christmas gift just to see the look on my face.

Christmas came, and I was given an electric guitar signed by Pearl Jam, along with a drumhead also signed.

I am now on the website where the guitar was purchased, and im kinda nervous that my mom was duped. They still have the exact same guitar in stock, and it has the autographs in the same exact spot, same goes for the drum head.

I've always been a believer in getting things autographed in person, but this was a gift to me (which I love by the way.. I was absolutely floored when I saw it in person)...

I just hope to God its not a fake..

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/product-p/vt-10372.htm
    Awwwww. What a great Mum you have :)

I hope it is all legit, but either way, your Mum got you an amazing, heartfelt gift and even (in worst case scenario) if you do find out the sig's are fake......DON'T tell your Mum!!!!! I imagine she's really happy with herself for getting them for you - don't spoil that feeling for her :)
  • Options
    bump hoping to hear some results back from the 10c

• Options
    I Have Collected Pearl Jam Autographs Since 1991 And I Have All The Different Variations Of There Signatures And This Guitar Is 100% Fake. If I Was You I Would Return It And Get My Money Back!!

But Do Want You Wish It's Your Guitar.... Good Luck And Happy New Year!!
  • Options
    I Have Collected Pearl Jam Autographs Since 1991 And I Have All The Different Variations Of There Signatures And This Guitar Is 100% Fake. If I Was You I Would Return It And Get My Money Back!!

But Do Want You Wish It's Your Guitar.... Good Luck And Happy New Year!!

You have different variations yet you are convinced these are 100% fake by looking at them on the internet???

Am I the only one that can see the contradiction of this premise???
    the Minions
  • Options

I've always been a believer in getting things autographed in person,

yeah I'm the same way. My buddy showed me an autograph of Michael Jordan one time and was all like "how did you get this?" "my dad bought it online" he replied. I just rolled by eyes.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Who cares if they're real or not? They are exact replicas, and you have a certificate (valid or not) claiming they are real. The guitar looks sick. Whether or not the signatures are real should only matter if you plan on reselling it, which I assume you will not. Enjoy your memorabelia.
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    bump hoping to hear some results back from the 10c

i suppose it depends on whether anyone will be in at 10C's office tomorrow or whether they'll be back at work on the 7th BUT i believe 10C will respond to the original email sent to them with regards to the legitimacy of the guitar, eventually. out of respect/privacy to the buyer, 10C might not post the response here, but if they do respond it would be nice to hear what their answer is.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    You have different variations yet you are convinced these are 100% fake by looking at them on the internet???

Am I the only one that can see the contradiction of this premise???

every single post you've made in this thread has contained what you've termed as a "contradiction of this premise" but the argument used above, which seems to be the more-recurring one you've thrown out there, takes the cake.

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i suppose it depends on whether anyone will be in at 10C's office tomorrow or whether they'll be back at work on the 7th BUT i believe 10C will respond to the original email sent to them with regards to the legitimacy of the guitar, eventually. out of respect/privacy to the buyer, 10C might not post the response here, but if they do respond it would be nice to hear what their answer is.

i'm not asking the 10c to post their answer here, i'm asking the OP. he seemed willing to do so

• Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    i'm not asking the 10c to post their answer here, i'm asking the OP. he seemed willing to do so

agreed, and i support your bumping the post. i would like to see a potential 10C answer shared in some form or another with those interested in hearing about it.

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    every single post you've made in this thread has contained what you've termed as a "contradiction of this premise" but the argument used above, which seems to be the more-recurring one you've thrown out there, takes the cake.

Look man

I just don't understand why you are hell bent on claiming them to be fake.

I'm not claiming them to be legit.

I just can't understand how people are going out of their way (based on mostly paranoia) to claim they are fake. Especially since PJ has signed 100's of guitars for fans and charity.

I think it's obvious this company purchases bonafide memorabilia and resells it at incredibly high prices.

But I could be wrong. At least I'm not being a complete douche and telling this guy his guitar is a total fake with no basis of proof.
    the Minions
  • Options
    Look man

I just don't understand on why you are hell bent on claiming them to be fake.

I'm not claiming them to be legit.

I just can't understand how people are going out of their way (based on mostly paranoia) to claim they are fake. Especially since PJ has signed 100's of guitars for fans and charity.

I think it's obvious this company purchases bonafide memorabilia and resells it at incredibly high prices.

But I could be wrong. At least I'm not being a complete douche and telling this guy his guitar is a total fake with no basis of proof.

i suppose the only thing i'm "hell bent" on is making sure a fellow PJ fan and board member isn't being rippe off for $2600+,...i'm not out to burst his bubble, i don't think anyone that's posted here is out to do that.

it's been said before, several times, but the ORIGNAL post asked for opinions, and opinions have been/are being expressed freely, with one based on paranoia (i'll let you decide) and several others based on first-hand knowledge of signatures obtained in person.

with regards to the company in question, as i don't have all the necessary information about them to call them a "bona fide memorabilia dealer" i can't speak to that; however, there's been more than 1 red flag raised about them, in my humble opinion,...

as for the "douche" comment, coming from someone with a "Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics...you may win the argument but you are still a retard." profile signature, i think it's fair to say you're the ONLY one who's taken this thread as a personal attack, thereby making personal attacks on others posting their opinions, in some cases well-justified opinions. while others have spoken from first-hand knowledge of signatures obtained, discussed NOTICEABLE irregularities with the signatures on the guitar, expressed concern about COAs and their worth/validity (or lack thereof, AND lack of proof of any validity), etc. you've been out to BASH anyone and everything that represents an HONEST debate and questioning of whether in fact the item is legit at all! why is that?

• Options
    That's a really expensive present! Enjoy it..For your mom's sake I hope it is not fake or she never founds out..
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i suppose the only thing i'm "hell bent" on is making sure a fellow PJ fan and board member isn't being rippe off for $2600+,...i'm not out to burst his bubble, i don't think anyone that's posted here is out to do that.

it's been said before, several times, but the ORIGNAL post asked for opinions, and opinions have been/are being expressed freely, with one based on paranoia (i'll let you decide) and several others based on first-hand knowledge of signatures obtained in person.

with regards to the company in question, as i don't have all the necessary information about them to call them a "bona fide memorabilia dealer" i can't speak to that; however, there's been more than 1 red flag raised about them, in my humble opinion,...

as for the "douche" comment, coming from someone with a "Arguing on the internet is like the Special Olympics...you may win the argument but you are still a retard." profile signature, i think it's fair to say you're the ONLY one who's taken this thread as a personal attack, thereby making personal attacks on others posting their opinions, in some cases well-justified opinions. while others have spoken from first-hand knowledge of signatures obtained, discussed NOTICEABLE irregularities with the signatures on the guitar, expressed concern about COAs and their worth/validity (or lack thereof, AND lack of proof of any validity), etc. you've been out to BASH anyone and everything that represents an HONEST debate and questioning of whether in fact the item is legit at all! why is that?

No you don't understand my point...

I'm saying that you and others coming here and claiming this item is "100% Fake" is irresponsible and you are seriously jumping to conclusions.

I'm not a handwriting expert so I'm not making any sure claims about the handwriting analysis side of the issue.

Remember some people here have also stated they believe the autos to be authentic.

So really it's all about opinions right??? Let's be happy about it and let the OP tend to his business.

You always like to have the final word though..... don't you?

Looks like one theory has been shot down. We now know this company only had one of these for sale . Remember...Someone had the opinion that the guitar was fake because the company had more of them?

Well, it turned out to be a mistake (like I said originally) they just forgot to take the listing off their internet site.

Give it a rest man...give it a rest...
    the Minions
  • Options
    No you don't understand my point...

I'm saying that you and others coming here and claiming this item is "100% Fake" is irresponsible and you are seriously jumping to conclusions.

I'm not a handwriting expert so I'm not making any sure claims about the handwriting analysis side of the issue.

Remember some people here have also stated they believe the autos to be authentic.

So really it's all about opinions right??? Let's be happy about it and let the OP tend to his business.

You always like to have the final word though..... don't you?

Looks like one theory has been shot down. We now know this company only had one of these for sale . Remember...Someone had the opinion that the guitar was fake because the company had more of them?

Well, it turned out to be a mistake (like I said originally) they just forgot to take the listing off their internet site.

Give it a rest man...give it a rest...

i understand your point/s. you simply haven't explained how, when the post asked for opinions, whether for or against the item being real/fake, how expressing those opinions is "irresponsible"? wasn't the actual point of this thread to gauge the opinions of others so as to determine whether a strong case could be made in either direction? the ironic thing is that this post has shown that the ONLY thing a strong case can be made for is that one CAN'T make a strong case either way lol

BUT...

wouldn't it be nice to know, either way, what the 10C has to say about the issue? do you really want to give it a rest after all your hard work :P who knows, you might be right after all, the signatures might be authentic lol

p.s. i think you're confusing the "final word" theory with the ability to discuss issues head-on without the need for hurling insults :)

• Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    i understand your point/s. you simply haven't explained how, when the post asked for opinions, whether for or against the item being real/fake, how expressing those opinions is "irresponsible"? wasn't the actual point of this thread to gauge the opinions of others so as to determine whether a strong case could be made in either direction? the ironic thing is that this post has shown that the ONLY thing a strong case can be made for is that one CAN'T make a strong case either way lol

BUT...

wouldn't it be nice to know, either way, what the 10C has to say about the issue? do you really want to give it a rest after all your hard work :P who knows, you might be right after all, the signatures might be authentic lol

p.s. i think you're confusing the "final word" theory with the ability to discuss issues head-on without the need for hurling insults :)

OK, I'm not strangest tribe, I'm his brother-in-law posting this while we watch bowl games. I remember back in the early 1990 that QVC had a grunge night where they had all these supercheap guitars for sale for like $900 all autographed by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc. they also sold autographed posters, pictures, and other stuff. Anyone else remeberthis? Maybe that helps? I almost bought a Cobain auto poster but it was for $300 and that was way too much then. May have been after he offed himself.
    the Minions