hey, i wanna take the vinyl plunge..

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited November 2009 in The Porch
can anyone recommend something under 200 that can be hooked up to home stereo?
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Can't recommend any certain turntable, but make sure your home system has an amplified input for a phonograph. If not, you will need a turntable with a pre-amp built in. Most Tuners don't have a phono input these days.

Here is a decent place to check different types of turntables. You can find one you like cheaper elsewhere but it is a good reference site.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Turntables

I am still contemplating what I want to get as well.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fisher-Pric ... tronics_R2

This is a joke - but not really. . . . I have one of these and it's pretty cool....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    edited October 2009
    just picked one up works great ...
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=4710

under 100..

would also like to add to say away from " Crosley " i first bought the one that looks like a suitcase sucked bad ...
    Post edited by Jokertt14 on
  • http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/architectandbuilder/vinylsetup001.jpg

pioneer pl-12 belt drive turntable
    pioneer sx-737 stereo receiver
    pioneer floor speakers

ALL for under $200

shure V15 type IV cartridge/needle..... PRICELESS

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/architectandbuilder/vinylsetup002.jpg
    jokertt14 wrote:
    150.00- all manual .. kinda sucks

under 100.. full auto .. the one i'm rocking with .. 3 year replacement warranty ..

would also like to add to stay away from " Crosley " i first bought the one that looks like a suitcase sucked bad ...
  • This one is excellent. It's a little over $200, but it has a built in preamp so all you need to do is plug this in and your good to go.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 382&sr=8-2
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    This one is excellent. It's a little over $200, but it has a built in preamp so all you need to do is plug this in and your good to go. [/quote]

What if one doesn't have a preamp?
  • MAS wrote:

then your receiver has to have a phono input. the vast majority of amps/receivers haven't been made with phono inputs for a while.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    When you say receiver, do you mean stereo?
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    jokertt14 wrote:

under 100..

would also like to add to say away from " Crosley " i first bought the one that looks like a suitcase sucked bad ...

for the sony lx 250 - i dont recommend this one - I bought this as a cheapo temp turntable and it REALLY SUCKS. Its a belt drive (more like rubber band), no Tracking force adjustment - actually, no way to adjust anything on this one - basically a needle and outputs.

Dont waste your $ on cheapos like these, they will ruin your expensive PJam records!

i've never tried the 350 model, but by the specs, it looks much better.
  • MAS wrote:
    This one is excellent. It's a little over $200, but it has a built in preamp so all you need to do is plug this in and your good to go.

What if one doesn't have a preamp?[/quote]

If your turntable has no preamp but your audio system has a phono input, it will work fine. If you just have a regular AUX input, you won't hear much even if you put the volume at maximum; you'll need to buy a separate preamp.
    My audio system had no phono input so I chose to buy a turntable with a built-in preamp. I got a DENON DP-29F and I'm really satisfied with the sound.
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    MAS wrote:

then your receiver has to have a phono input. the vast majority of amps/receivers haven't been made with phono inputs for a while.

what is the differnce? My stereo receiver has inputs for phono - but i can plug the RCA's into any of the inputs and it will work as long as the receiver has the correct one selected.

I have heard about this too, but what is the difference between phono inputs or CD/radio/aux inputs? I have my computer hooked into "AUX2", so when i want to listen to my playlist or iPod, i just plug it in the earphone jack
  • MAS wrote:
    When you say receiver, do you mean stereo?

amplifier - what you plug your speakers and components (cd player, turntable, etc.)

they're also commonly called receivers/tuners because of their am/fm radio reception.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    IGotShit76 wrote:
    MAS wrote:
    This one is excellent. It's a little over $200, but it has a built in preamp so all you need to do is plug this in and your good to go.

If your turntable has no preamp but your audio system has a phono input, it will work fine. If you just have a regular AUX input, you won't hear much even if you put the volume at maximum; you'll need to buy a separate preamp.
    My audio system had no phono input so I chose to buy a turntable with a built-in preamp. I got a DENON DP-29F and I'm really satisfied with the sound.[/quote]

You can also try a low impedance pickup, thats what Im using with no preamp
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Dan CDan C Posts: 206
    Vinyl is not like CD.

With a CD player the componenets are mass manufactured and very cheap, and as it is all digital, a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a zero.

Whilst you can get away with a cheap CD player, the same can not be said for vinyl.

If you have a crappy table, motor or tone arm, the noise will be picked up by the needle. If you have a crap needle, noise will be passed into the cart etc..

Each stage of the process is important, and good quality will cost you cash.

I think the rule for this stuff is buy the abolute best you can afford, and buy something that is upgradable.

That way when you need a new needle or cart you can either replace it for an equivalent cart, or choose to upgrade it to a better one.

Its also advisable to get turntable with an adjustable counterweight on on the tone arm, which will allow you to set the arm up for different carts which may require different pressure settings.

The output from a turntable is very small as electrical signals go. You will need either a Phono preamp, or your amp will need phono in.

Some tables have phono preamp built in. If this is the case you can plug it in to a standard Auxilary input on an amp.
    PJ Sydney 1998-03-09, 2003-02-11, 2003-02-14, 2006-11-07, 2006-11-08, 2006-11-18, 2009-11-22, 2014-01-26
    EV Sydney 2011-03-18, 2011-03-19, 2014-02-11, 2014-02-13
  • gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    Elzar wrote:
    MAS wrote:

what is the differnce? My stereo receiver has inputs for phono - but i can plug the RCA's into any of the inputs and it will work as long as the receiver has the correct one selected.

I have heard about this too, but what is the difference between phono inputs or CD/radio/aux inputs? I have my computer hooked into "AUX2", so when i want to listen to my playlist or iPod, i just plug it in the earphone jack

your turntable must have a built in preamp then.

if your tt has no built in preamp and you have no phono input on your receiver you will get a very low sound from your turntable, like you will have to turn it up full to even make out the slightest sound. if this is the case, you need to buy a preamp from any online audio store or a radio shack/circuit city. the signal from a tt without a preamp is low level, thats why you have to crank it to barely hear it, a preamp turns that signal into line level. like most things, you will get what you pay for. ive had cheap preamps that come with a nice little hiss that can be heard when you dont have music playing :lol: , so spend a little on a nice one.

hope this helps
    This post is © by gfraser
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I went to a good local record place that also sells used turntables. They had a bunch of Technics turntables for about $80, and I also bought (and you need) a phono pre-amp to boost the volume enough for a receiver to get a decent signal.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • PrlJam27PrlJam27 Posts: 346
    I've got this old turntable hooked up to my newer receiver without a phono input. To hear it I gotta max out the volume, and even then its not that loud. I'm assuming from what I just read here, is that I need to add an external preamp to make it sound right.

Now I have no idea what that even is. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need?
    PrlJam27 wrote:
    I've got this old turntable hooked up to my newer receiver without a phono input. To hear it I gotta max out the volume, and even then its not that loud. I'm assuming from what I just read here, is that I need to add an external preamp to make it sound right.

Now I have no idea what that even is. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need?

its cheap but it will get you there http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2541471
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    PrlJam27 wrote:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Stor ... 8Ta38Qahr0

I have found this a great resource to find information. The prices aren't bad, but some things can be found cheaper on other sites.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    Unless your trying to be a DJ or scratch with your records .. u don't need to get these high end models there talking about ..
    there just way more confusing .. if your just looking to put the record on and play it .. u don't need one of these high dollar units that lets upgrade or change this or that ...
    its way more then u need to start off with u can always upgrade in the latter years after doing your own research ....

**its really easy to pick out the best one on the market and act like u have one ..**

look for something with auto pick up at least that way when the LP is over the arm and needle with return its self .. peace good luck ;)

stay away from the Usb .. and the crosley brand ..
    jokertt14 wrote:
    Unless your trying to be a DJ or scratch with your records .. u don't need to get these high end models there talking about ..
    there just way more confusing .. if your just looking to put the record on and play it .. u don't need one of these high dollar units that lets upgrade or change this or that ...
    its way more then u need to start off with u can always upgrade in the latter years after doing your own research ....

**its really easy to pick out the best one on the market and act like u have one ..**

look for something with auto pick up at least that way when the LP is over the arm and needle with return its self .. peace good luck ;)

i have to agree with you for the most part but if you really want to enjoy vinyl for what it is, a superior format, you have to spend a little for a good set up. if you want to just fire a record on and listen to music then go with low end gear, but if thats what you really want, you might as well just go with a cd because it will sound better.

a system doesnt have to be high end but should be at least mid range, otherwise your just wasting your money.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    gfraser wrote:

i have to agree with you for the most part but if you really want to enjoy vinyl for what it is, a superior format, you have to spend a little for a good set up. if you want to just fire a record on and listen to music then go with low end gear, but if thats what you really want, you might as well just go with a cd because it will sound better.

a system doesnt have to be high end but should be at least mid range, otherwise your just wasting your money.

That begs the question. What is the least expensive unit (either used or new) that will still show off the superiority of Vinyl?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Dan CDan C Posts: 206
    jokertt14 wrote:

DJ turntables are very different to "listening turntables".

For starters DJ turntables are about manipulating the platter and tracking the groove.

On a DJ turntable you usually want 4.5g on the cart, which over time will eat away your precious vinyl.

On a listening turntable you dont want much more than 1.5g which will give the vinyl longer life.

Anti skate mechanism helps prevent wear of the inner wall of the groove.

Auto pickup is just more bits flapping around on the turntable to make noise in my opinion, and you will pay more for auto pickup at the expense of quality somewhere else on the turntable.

You can get a player for cheap, but in reality it will be quite noisy and hard on your vinyl.

My recommendation if you want to get something that is not totally crap, but not spend a mint, would be either the Rega P1 or the Pro-Ject Debut III.

The Debut III is decent bang for buck, and very minimal, but minimal = less noise.

There are no conveniences on these tables
    Eg you have to lift the platter to change the belt from 33 1/3 to 45
    No auto pickup etc.
    PJ Sydney 1998-03-09, 2003-02-11, 2003-02-14, 2006-11-07, 2006-11-08, 2006-11-18, 2009-11-22, 2014-01-26
    EV Sydney 2011-03-18, 2011-03-19, 2014-02-11, 2014-02-13
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Shazam -- he just beat me to it:

Pro-Ject Debut III in Piano Gloss Black

but it's mid $300s
    [sic] happens
  • interesting... I'd like to buy one soon too...
    -- rafa
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    I have the $99 Sony model. Works okay I guess...But, I dont have anything else to compare it to...What do the experts think?