Recording and mastering question

Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Posts: 621
edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a Tascam 424 MKIII 4-track recorder. Call me old school but I love analog. Anyway, I want to know the best way to master my 4-track recordings? Now I realize that I will not have a Professional quality sounding CD when finished, but I want something at least 16 bit or as close as possible that has enough quality that I would be happy to hear. I currently am mastering to a cheap Pioneer CDR burner; it sounds decent, but I am hoping for a little bit better quality. I have done some research and know my options are DAT, Computer via Protools, Cubase or other programs or a really good CDR mastering recorder. I am looking for the best sound, yet at a price I can afford. I have looked into a Tascam DA-30 DAT recorder, a Tascam CDR-W700, a Tascam CDR-W900, Alesis Masterlink etc, and obviously the computer route which I'd prefer to avoid if possible based on my current computer setup. I know I could spend thousands of dollars and get great computer based equipment to record like the pros, but I am trying to use the equipment I have and love and get as close to the sound that I want as possible with limited expenses. All in all I realize that I am limited at 3-3/4 speed recording (which is the fast speed on my recorder), and I realize it's what you put into it. I do have a Sterling Audio ST59 condenser mic, an ART Tube Preamp/Compressor for vocals and or instruments, a vintage 1972 Fender Twin Reverb silverface amp, and a Digitech RP-350 for guitar sounds. I just was curious on the best format and way to make my recordings sound as full and professional as possible for what I am working with? (side note, I am experienced enough with my equipment to know the right levels and sweat-spots to get the best sound right on tape)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
Lollapalooza 08-05-07
Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
Wrigley Field 07-19-13
Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16