Stone's new old Marshall

57Goldtop57Goldtop Posts: 218
edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is that a JCM800 head?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yes, You're right. Which is funny because I always thought I didn't like the sound of a JCM800... Well... :)
  • some people knock those old 800s as being a "one trick pony" but i think it does that one trick amazingly well. i'm glad he switched back. in my opinion, his tone was much better in the old days when he played a wall of marshalls. i go back and listen to alot of the old boots and his tone is much more punchy and thick back then. then he switched to the boutique stuff for years and i think his tone suffered, now it is more ballsy like it used to be. for example, im my experience i have a jcm 900 i used to use, then switched to a 1994 matchless clubman, which i thought lacked that "oomph i was going for so i bought a '74 marshall jmp that blows away anything i have ever owned before. i think stone finally realized that nothing will top his old vintage jcm 800s...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Well, they do pack some serious punch. That's for sure. But personally I'm a little more into the earlier, less gainy Marsall sound.
  • Well, they do pack some serious punch. That's for sure. But personally I'm a little more into the earlier, less gainy Marsall sound.
    all you have to do is roll back the preamp knob or your guitar volume and there is less gain. those 800s clean up very nicely if you do that.

• I know. You can get a pretty decent cleanish sound out of them. But they're better when you drive them hot. And if I mess with the guitar volume I always forget to roll it down or back up and always end up with blazing gain in balladesque parts and stuff like that.
    I don't know. To me a clean JCM always feels like it's begging me to crank it back up. :)
  • I know. You can get a pretty decent cleanish sound out of them. But they're better when you drive them hot. And if I mess with the guitar volume I always forget to roll it down or back up and always end up with blazing gain in balladesque parts and stuff like that.
    I don't know. To me a clean JCM always feels like it's begging me to crank it back up. :)
    ha ha yeah i know what you mean. i used to have that problem when i switched to single channel amps a few years ago. it was a bit of a learning curve to control everything with pickup switch and volume and pick attack, but now that i have learned how to do it i would not have it any other way. i just turn my neck pickup down so its clean and use that and i dirty up the bridge pickup and use the middle and treble positions for semi dirt and dirt when i need some distortion.

ha ha yeah i know what you mean. i used to have that problem when i switched to single channel amps a few years ago. it was a bit of a learning curve to control everything with pickup switch and volume and pick attack, but now that i have learned how to do it i would not have it any other way. i just turn my neck pickup down so its clean and use that and i dirty up the bridge pickup and use the middle and treble positions for semi dirt and dirt when i need some distortion.
    Yeah. That's something I do too when I play my Les Paul. But unfotunately that doesn't work with the Fenders I usually play these days. I play a single channel amp too, but usually keep that fairly clean and use boosters for more gain. Tried the volume thing, but, as I said, somehow that didn't workfor me. I even built a volume switch pedal to do the volume drop but I gave it away to a friend a while ago because I didn't really feel the need for it. Maybe I have to build another one.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    stone gone back to his old jcm800? fucking awesome!

i thought i heard it when i heard alive played on one of the boots! reminded me of a 1992 era stone tone!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Anyone have any pics of the New/old JCM 800? Has it been modded or is it stock? I LOVE these amps...they really sound great. Thanks.
  • Prefer the Savage, or even the 1974x... with stone. Of course if it was me I prefer a JTM-45...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/