Options

Ed's Voice Better This Tour?

tama_drummer91tama_drummer91 Posts: 205
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I know it is still early on, but I have been listening to the Bonnaroo aud boot quite a bit. I initially thought Ed didn't sound quite as solid as he did on the 06/07 tour while I was at Bonnaroo, but after listening to the boot more closely I think he actually sounds better this tour. Maybe better than 05 and certainly better than 2003. Anyone else's views on Ed this go around?
My first PJ show to witness was at Bonnaroo. How is that for lucky?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    F5F5 Posts: 791
    This might sound weird but i think ed's voice has sounded way better since he started using padded mics. But he definitly seems alot more emotinaly into the shows than he was in '03. He also seems a lot less drunk haha.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    shakey420shakey420 Posts: 27
    where you get a chance to hear the bonnaroo aud boot??????? I am dying for a listen!!
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    shakey420 wrote:
    where you get a chance to hear the bonnaroo aud boot??????? I am dying for a listen!!
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=289152
  • Options
    shakey420 wrote:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6TQB8F5N

Here you go. It sounds incredible for an aud boot. Very clean and crisp sounding. Better than the Vic auds that's for sure. Thanks to whoever recorded it.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    I think so. He sounded Great at 'Roo. The whole band did. The "new" songs were spot on, much better than when they usually premier stuff they haven't played or haven't played in awhile. They are certainly taking it up a notch musicianship wise. At least in my opinion.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    I think so. He sounded Great at 'Roo. The whole band did. The "new" songs were spot on, much better than when they usually premier stuff they haven't played or haven't played in awhile. They are certainly taking it up a notch musicianship wise. At least in my opinion.

I agree and thought the same about the songs they haven't played for a long while or All Night that hadn't ever been played. Ed made one very little flub going into the first chorus of All Night, but it didn't take away from the song at all. I didn't think the first shows would be as tight as they are.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    One thing i noticed is that his intro before black at bonnaroo (check youtube) his voice sounds soooo much younger. i even commented on it. The same goes for his little speech during porch, take a listen. his voice sounds abnormally young.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    One thing i noticed is that his intro before black at bonnaroo (check youtube) his voice sounds soooo much younger. i even commented on it. The same goes for his little speech during porch, take a listen. his voice sounds abnormally young.

I noticed that as well about the intro to Black. Very surprising actually. Sounded awesome.
  • Options
    I haven't had a chance to hear a boot from this tour yet but I think Ed could sound better because of his mini solo tour. When he did those he had only his voice and guitar to carry the whole show. It probably feels pretty nice to be back with the band.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,482
    I think Eddie sounds horrible on the 'roo boot.
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6TQB8F5N

Here you go. It sounds incredible for an aud boot. Very clean and crisp sounding. Better than the Vic auds that's for sure. Thanks to whoever recorded it.

Man, Eddie sounds exhausted...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    I think Eddie sounds horrible on the 'roo boot.

??? Love Reign O'er Me sounds exhausted? Black, WMA, Crazy Mary, DTE, all sound the best they have in years. I don't understand.
  • Options
    it is only early on in the tour and it is a short tour so his voice will sound great and hold up
  • Options
    He's definitely got some of the depth that was missing in 06 back. I think he sounds great.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    jjmofojjmofo Posts: 47
    I agree that he sounds better. Actually, the more you use your voice as a singer, the more in-tune it becomes. I think as 06 went on, he certainly sounded better. But he has sounded great so far, much better than he ususally does when they start a tour. Perhaps he's cutting back on the smokes. I know ever since he's been a father, he said he stopped smoking the mary jane, so that should certainly help.
  • Options
    From the few clips I've heard, I think he sounds ok. I was thinking that his voice sound deeper and he's making a concerted effort to control his voice (I think since 03 he's been very two-toned and carrying notes too long in different pitches). Control is the key...the effort is there.

I think there are times when his voice isn't going from note to note as well as he has in the past...almost like he has a frog in the throat. He's gotta kick those cigarettes.