Options

Anyone meet anyone from PJ in Austin???

The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Wondering since they were all over the place all weekend, whether anyone had a chance to chat them up, take a photo with them or get an autograph. Would love to hear your stories if you got one!!

8-)8-)8-)
Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 245
    A few of us got Ed's autograph (before) and got to say hello (after) at the ACL Taping.
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    hookem wrote:
    A few of us got Ed's autograph (before) and got to say hello (after) at the ACL Taping.

Nice! Never saw any of the boys, but it would be interesting to hear some stories
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    hookem wrote:

Inside the studio or out back as he was leaving? That is awesome. he snubbed us after LA2 last year but I can't blaim him....crowd was really big and it was almost 2 AM before he came out.
    Post edited by The Camaros Hood on
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
  • Options
    hookem wrote:

Inside the studio or out back as he was leaving? That is awesome...been trying to meet him for years...he snubbed us after LA2 last year but I can't blaim him....crowd was really big and it was almost 2 AM before he came out.

There were about 7 of us waiting before hand when they showed up. He waved and came outside 2 or 3 times to have a smoke. Each time he would look up at us and wave before going back in without any of us shouting or trying to get his attention. (They were at the loading dock for the building and we were all standing up one level in the courtyard area.) The last time he came out it looked like he wanted all of us to come down but his security guy didn't let it happen. Instead the security guy came up to us and said that he'd be happy to sign anything we might have. He'd take it down to him and then bring it back. So we did that.

After the show we were hanging in the same spot, not really waiting for any of the guys to come out, but Ed did make his way out and shook hands with everyone that was there. About 20 of us or so at that point. It was a first for me and super cool experience. I had no idea what to say so I just said Thank You. He recognized me from early in the day by my Easy Street Records T-Shirt. As he walked up to me, he pointed and said "Hey, it's Easy Street". It was neat-o.
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    hookem wrote:
    hookem wrote:

Inside the studio or out back as he was leaving? That is awesome...been trying to meet him for years...he snubbed us after LA2 last year but I can't blaim him....crowd was really big and it was almost 2 AM before he came out.

There were about 7 of us waiting before hand when they showed up. He waved and came outside 2 or 3 times to have a smoke. Each time he would look up at us and wave before going back in without any of us shouting or trying to get his attention. (They were at the loading dock for the building and we were all standing up one level in the courtyard area.) The last time he came out it looked like he wanted all of us to come down but his security guy didn't let it happen. Instead the security guy came up to us and said that he'd be happy to sign anything we might have. He'd take it down to him and then bring it back. So we did that.

After the show we were hanging in the same spot, not really waiting for any of the guys to come out, but Ed did make his way out and shook hands with everyone that was there. About 20 of us or so at that point. It was a first for me and super cool experience. I had no idea what to say so I just said Thank You. He recognized me from early in the day by my Easy Street Records T-Shirt. As he walked up to me, he pointed and said "Hey, it's Easy Street". It was neat-o.

That's a cool f-ing story! That's awesome he came out for a little meet and greet. Congrats! Wish I would've tried to go to the simulcast instead of to being saoking wet at Zilker. Lesson learned
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    hookem wrote:
    He recognized me from early in the day by my Easy Street Records T-Shirt. As he walked up to me, he pointed and said "Hey, it's Easy Street". It was neat-o.

Now that I think about it, that is the second time he has recognized me by my TShirt. I had been wearing my burnt orange Texas TShirt over and over during the '06 tour after Mike McCready pointed at and mouthed "Hook'em" to me during a show in Philly. We had been lucky enough to have very good seats. At the Las Vegas show we were side stage about 3 rows up. After Evenflow Ed made some speech about Vegas being a melting pot and pointed me out to the crowd, "There's the TEXAS shirt over there..." It's on the boot so I have that shout out forever!
  • Options
    hookem wrote:
    hookem wrote:
    He recognized me from early in the day by my Easy Street Records T-Shirt. As he walked up to me, he pointed and said "Hey, it's Easy Street". It was neat-o.

Now that I think about it, that is the second time he has recognized me by my TShirt. I had been wearing my burnt orange Texas TShirt over and over during the '06 tour after Mike McCready pointed at and mouthed "Hook'em" to me during a show in Philly. We had been lucky enough to have very good seats. At the Las Vegas show we were side stage about 3 rows up. After Evenflow Ed made some speech about Vegas being a melting pot and pointed me out to the crowd, "There's the TEXAS shirt over there..." It's on the boot so I have that shout out forever!

That is REALLY kick-ass man!! Glad you got the chance to meet him. Hope one day my luck works out in my favor.

C'mon...I know someone crossed paths with the guys out at Zilker...lets hear about it!!!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    we went by the Ames booth a few times hoping to meet Jeff...no luck, though. the guys that were working there were cool as hell (anyone know who they were? i know one of them was an Ames artist). we chatted with them for a few minutes & told them about our Ames posters. it was nice to finally get that book---and signed!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    We tried to come across their paths as well... no such luck though!! That was a sweet time in Austin- even with the rain and mud though. Very cool meet and greet- great story. My wife and I saw ed in memphis back in june and we got up upgraded by one of his staff before the show to second row. At the end of the show he stepped to the edge of the stage and shook a few hands and such...my wife being one of them. The show was so incredibly good and enotional for us both, after that happened to my wife she had tears in her eyes and was completely floored! Five years ago she didn't even care for them- now she has been completely converted forever. Hail the power of ed.
    4-19-92 DALLAS, 11-11-93 DENTON
    11-12-93 DALLAS, 9-16-95 AUSTIN
    7-5-98 DALLAS, 10-17-00 DALLAS
    4-3-03 OKLAHOMA CITY, 6-9-03 DALLAS
    10-4-09 AUSTIN, KANSAS CITY 2010, EAST TROY, WI. 2011.
    6-20-09 MEMPHIS (Ed solo)
    LOS ANGELES JULY 2011 (Ed solo)
    SANTA BARBARA JULY 2011 (Ed solo)
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    edited October 2009
    hookem wrote:

that was so awesome it made my day!... the second best thing of the weekend (the best thing was hanging out with you crazies on Sunday all day in the mud!)
    Post edited by Mrs.Vedder78 on
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    I went to the simulcast of the tv show and to the ACL fest on Sunday. The first time I saw PJ was in 2000 in Lubbock and I was in the nose bleed and could not hear anything Ed said. So seeing them twice this past weekend in my own city was a dream come true. My husband and I went to the simulcast of the ACL tv show and he not being a PJ fan was blown away at how entertaining they were. Ed was so witty and really seemed to be having a great time. I was so happy they played Crazy Mary, love that cover. McCready is an awesome guitar player geez he played the god damn guitar behind his head. Ed told a story about his daughter which was so sweet and signed a few wounder soldiers' prosthetic limbs. What an awesome experience. I really hope they do come back to Austin soon. I think they liked it here.
  • Options
    hookem wrote:

He was totally cool that day (I was on of the people with hookem) we didnt even ask him for the autographs he did it on his own :D and after the taping he shook each of our hands and that was the coolest thing!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    hookem wrote:

He was totally cool that day (I was on of the people with hookem) we didnt even ask him for the autographs he did it on his own :D and after the taping he shook each of our hands and that was the coolest thing!

I love hearing that...
    Post edited by The Camaros Hood on
  • Options
    hookem wrote:

that was so awesome it made my day!... the second best thing of the weekend (the best thing was hanging out with your crazies on Sunday all day in the mud!)

Sunday would've been unbearable I think with just about any other group. You guys are the best!
  • Options
    hookem wrote:
    hookem wrote:

that was so awesome it made my day!... the second best thing of the weekend (the best thing was hanging out with your crazies on Sunday all day in the mud!)

Sunday would've been unbearable I think with just about any other group. You guys are the best!

and I meant "you crazies" not "your crazies" LOL well you knew what I meant :lol: and yes I agree! only a group of people as cool as you guys could make a day of hanging out in the mud the best freaking day of the weekend! :D
  • Options

I love hearing that...ugh. When will my day come when he crosses my path?

it'll happen Im sure! I met Ed twice this year (first time ever), after 55 shows and 18 years of following the band.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I also met Ed after the simulcast. I almost missed him though ! After the show I went to the hotel for a bit before going back to the PBS studio. When I got there, he was already halfway through the line of people. When I shook his hand I must've had the dumbest grin on my face lol. I just asked how he was doing and thanked him for coming back to Texas. He was very friendly and made eye contact with everyone he saw.

It was definitely an awesome experience!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

I love hearing that...ugh. When will my day come when he crosses my path?

it'll happen Im sure! I met Ed twice this year (first time ever), after 55 shows and 18 years of following the band.

we are kicking ourselves for going to DMB that night!!!!!!! damn, damn, damn.....
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    mfc2006 wrote:

we are kicking ourselves for going to DMB that night!!!!!!! damn, damn, damn.....

Even worse . . . I left with Ursala's husband Mike to go pick up his car and bring it back to somewhere near the studio. Of course, we missed Ed.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13