Options

If PJ played Alaska, would you come???

Danny BoyDanny Boy Posts: 161
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Curious... Ament mentioned in an article that they'd never played here so I guess I'm hoping for the long shot come next summer.

Perhaps if the fellows lurk these threads and see some support, they might make it at least a consideration.

I posted this bit in smokeabud's Play AK thread...

Ament mentioned in an article a few months back they'd never played up here. Sure, this has probably been mentioned but I haven't been on here for a while so my apologies in advance.

http://www.music-news.com/ShowReview.as ... 33&nType=4

That being said.... we're long overdue. And it would probably be my lone shot at a view from the front row. =)

I was in the 6th or 7th row at one of Ev's solo shows in LA. Between songs I almost yelled "Play Alaska!" but at the time and in lieu of the setting, I decided not to be one of those guys. And now I really wish I had.
Trading magic for fact, no tradebacks... So this is what it's like to be an adult...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    What venue could they play?
  • Options
    i would go, but only if it were in anchorage. then i already know of a couch to surf on.
  • Options
    G ForceG Force Posts: 1,392
    I'd honestly think about going. I love how PJ gives me reasons to go to corners of the world I wouldn't go otherwise.
  • Options
    If it were during the summer and they were playing some other shows around that one (either time-wise or geographically), I would definitely consider it. I love Alaska and would love to combine a week off during the summer with a some hiking, camping and PJ.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited October 2009
    MAS wrote:
    What venue could they play?

Anchorage has a stadium that holds 8K (guessing). beyond that, don't think there are too many places

i most likely would not go. just up there in June. nice place, but man, that sunlight can get to be a bit much.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,371
    Yes.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    I'd love to do that...would probably get great 10C seats, too...not much competition way up there.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    just did some digging

Sullivan Areana holds 8,700 for basketball, so 8-10K for a concert.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    I'll tell you one thing, PJ would be the only thing to actually get my ass there.
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    absolutely. not a doubt.
  • Options
    The Dead played 2-3 shows in Anchorage in the 80's...I can't remember what the venue was though. Alaska is a great spot in the summer. 4th of July parades at 2am in Juneau..good times.
    Gorge
  • Options
    MAS wrote:
    I'll tell you one thing, PJ would be the only thing to actually get my ass there.

it's a cool place to visit. serious.

now living there, that's a different story. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Alaska's on my list of places I want to see so PJ would take me there.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    Just need Money and days off work and im in :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    If it was financially possible at the time for me I'd go (meaning enough of a notice ahead of time). I've always wanted to visit and I have an uncle in Anchorage.
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Is that you AlaskaDan?

The question is who would road trip this one!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Danny Boy wrote:
    Curious... Ament mentioned in an article that they'd never played here so I guess I'm hoping for the long shot come next summer.

Perhaps if the fellows lurk these threads and see some support, they might make it at least a consideration.

I posted this bit in smokeabud's Play AK thread...

Ament mentioned in an article a few months back they'd never played up here. Sure, this has probably been mentioned but I haven't been on here for a while so my apologies in advance.

http://www.music-news.com/ShowReview.as ... 33&nType=4

That being said.... we're long overdue. And it would probably be my lone shot at a view from the front row. =)

I was in the 6th or 7th row at one of Ev's solo shows in LA. Between songs I almost yelled "Play Alaska!" but at the time and in lieu of the setting, I decided not to be one of those guys. And now I really wish I had.

That's a dumb question with regard to me (I live in Palmer, AK)......My answer is "Fuck yes!!!" It's a little pricey when I have to keep going to Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, etc. -- although I enjoy it. A little payback from the guys would be nice. Hell I'll even take EV to "The Bus" for free :lol:
    "Because gold is honest money, it is disliked by dishonest men" - Ron Paul
  • Options
    I'd love to do that...would probably get great 10C seats, too...not much competition way up there.

I think you would be wrong with the lack of competition statement. There is a really good fan base here.
  • Options
    ccjackccjack Posts: 134
    YES, that would be cool :D
    "Push me and I will resist"
  • Options
    The Dead played 2-3 shows in Anchorage in the 80's...I can't remember what the venue was though. Alaska is a great spot in the summer. 4th of July parades at 2am in Juneau..good times.

There's been some big acts up here in the past, Elton John 2 years ago, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, a bunch of country acts too.....not that I went to any of these mind you. No excuse for not playing here IMO.
  • Options
    I've always wanted to go to Alaska and PJ could get me there. Just make it in the Summer time. During fishing season. And when the sun doesn't go down and people drink a lot. And the girls are out. And it's warm(er). And there's no opening band.

Okay, I think I got it all.
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    aklobo29 wrote:

There's been some big acts up here in the past, Elton John 2 years ago, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, a bunch of country acts too.....not that I went to any of these mind you. No excuse for not playing here IMO.

That is good point if those acts played Alaska then PJ could sell out one night...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    Some good rationales for making it to the Northland. The Sullivan Arena would be the largest indoor venue, no question. The Carlson Center in Fairbanks holds a decent amount of people and as for where I live (the Kenai Peninsula), there ain't much but it is probably one of the more spectacular parts of the state. Hell, if they made it up here they'd have to at least check out this neck of the woods just to lay their eyes upon it. I did get to see Taj Mahal and Citizen Cope this past summer in Anchorage which was pretty fair. A decent number of big name bands have been here but I didn't care to watch the shows (see Metallica).

The sunlight (as with the darkness) definitely takes some getting used to. I think an outdoors PJ show in some field near the mountains would be an ideal setting for a summer solstice show. Living here certainly requires the ability to not give a fuck about the elements. I will say I've spent a fair amount of time in Chicago and was there last December; it was goddamned cold ~ I actually looked forward to coming back here. The fishing and hiking are special as is the photographic fodder, and Alaskans do know how to have prolonged good times.

Anyhow, thanks for yer input... Maybe one of these days the lads will make a sojourn.
    Trading magic for fact, no tradebacks... So this is what it's like to be an adult...
  • Options
    No
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Danny Boy wrote:
    Some good rationales for making it to the Northland. The Sullivan Arena would be the largest indoor venue, no question. The Carlson Center in Fairbanks holds a decent amount of people and as for where I live (the Kenai Peninsula), there ain't much but it is probably one of the more spectacular parts of the state. Hell, if they made it up here they'd have to at least check out this neck of the woods just to lay their eyes upon it. I did get to see Taj Mahal and Citizen Cope this past summer in Anchorage which was pretty fair. A decent number of big name bands have been here but I didn't care to watch the shows (see Metallica).

The sunlight (as with the darkness) definitely takes some getting used to. I think an outdoors PJ show in some field near the mountains would be an ideal setting for a summer solstice show. Living here certainly requires the ability to not give a fuck about the elements. I will say I've spent a fair amount of time in Chicago and was there last December; it was goddamned cold ~ I actually looked forward to coming back here. The fishing and hiking are special as is the photographic fodder, and Alaskans do know how to have prolonged good times.

Anyhow, thanks for yer input... Maybe one of these days the lads will make a sojourn.

An acoustic show by EV at the PAC in Anchorage would be killer too. A few years ago Ani Di Franco played here, and it was pretty awesome. Also Violent Femmes played there.
  • Options
    I am in!

A weekend show would be nice so that more 10C could enjoy it.
  • Options
    smokeabudsmokeabud Posts: 253
    well considering that i already live in AK. YES.
    here in Fairbanks. they could play @ the Carlson Cntr. or if they came up in the summer. Y not do an outdoor show @ say someplace like Denali N.P. i can see it now. PJ playing with Mt Denali (McKinley) in the background.. how swwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeet is that ?
    Vote for PJ to play in Alaska

11/91 chicago
    7/11/95 chicago
    6/29/98 chicago
    5/30/00 london UK
    6/4/00 manchester UK
    10/8/00 alpine valley
    10/9/00 chicago
    6/18/03 chicago

PLAY ALASKA U PUSSIES
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    If there would be no other possibilty to see them in 2010, then YES!!! Me and wife would be there!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    Just need Money and days off work and im in :D

+1

I don't think the days off work would be a problem next year... it'd just be the cost... but yes, if I have the money, I'll be there with metephorical bells on :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Is that you AlaskaDan?

The question is who would road trip this one!

Indeed it is. How's things?

Any more takers???