"Here's To The State Of Mississippi"

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,368
edited November 2009 in The Porch
The "Music" section of the website lists this song as having been played just once in Los Angeles, on July 9, 2006. I seem to recall that it was performed at least twice (both nights in L.A.) and maybe even three times (both nights in L.A. plus one in Santa Barbara) with Tim Robbins accompanying.

Can anyone else here "shed a little light on it"?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    It was on VH1 Storytellers
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    Please don't remind anybody. Seeing it once in 06 was just enough.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,368

That's exactly why I remember seeing it twice. I remember thinking, "Why on earth would they do this again?" I remember thinking it at the show (not watching VH1).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    BF25394 wrote:

That's exactly why I remember seeing it twice. I remember thinking, "Why on earth would they do this again?" I remember thinking it at the show (not watching VH1).

State of Love and Trust, YES! State of Mississippi, NO!
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • mississippi ain't so bad :) its just boring.
  • no it's not!
    anybody have a mp3 of that?
    :mrgreen:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Mississippi is nice. I understand that the original song by Phil Ochs was about Mississippi, but the version Ed sang was about "The State of George W.", no?
  • yuppers.

• I'm with you blondieblue227! It's really a powerful song considering what it's meaning is and I love how Ed keeps adding to the lyrics and as he said , we all wish our children won't have to add their own verses to it. Do they even teach American history anymore in school??? :? One step forward, two steps back.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    didn't they play it at every show on the vfc tour?
  • katelliskatellis Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • we all wish our children won't have to add their own verses to it. Do they even teach American history anymore in school??? :? One step forward, two steps back.

i know what you mean......unfortunately.

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    they definitely played it at one of the bridge school benefits as well. personally i hate hearing ed play it. i don't mind when he talks about politics, or when he wants to throw a line in here or there during a song, but this song is just too much. at least "no more" had a purpose. this is just bashing for the sake of bashing. i'm a liberal independent, but no one wants to hear this shit at a concert.....actually, i take it back, i think this song would be cool if he turned it into a punk song and shouted the lyrics.
  • I saw it at LA1 2006. I think if they played it again, and knowing how long it is, I would probably get up, stretch, walk around a little, take a dump, and be back in time for the Pearl Jam show to resume.