Options

fans at MSG, not any better than most from what I saw

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Okay before all you New Yorkers throw a Cabbie fit just take a deep breath.

As a normally midwestern show seeing fan, I took to the road to see the boys at the legendary MSG. Always hear the NY people blabbing on , on how they are the best fans blah blah blah.

here is what I experienced:

1. the venue is GREAT, sound is great and it is loud as heck in there

2. well over half the fans I met were not even from NY, I don't know how much of a sample size is accurate but I met at least 50 people and majority were not from greater NY.

so taking those into account here is my conclusion: MSG shows are amazing, no doubt, but I attribute it more to the venue than say NY fan base itself. I found the fans in DC were just as good(except for singing along with no more) and in all my Midwest shows, Chicago fans/venues are just as rabid and good of fans. I did not see people rocking any harder in NY than I did in Dc or anywhere else. This is not a rip on NYC or saying they suck, just saying as a vet of many different shows and locations, the venue made more of a difference thant the fans in the place, and most importantly the band and how it played was the biggest factor in overall experience.

side notes: I saw way more older fans in MSG than I have anywhere else. There were grandmas and grandpas there, and ROCKING HARD I might add. I saw several fans in lottery seats and in front of me(I was row 7) that were standing the whole show. So score one for us old fogies!

So enjoy your shows mo matter where, and see them at MSg as it was great! But also see them where ever else you can as every venue is special in its own way and all offer something different from the last.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    fascinating
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    fascinating

hehe
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    being in a ny show does not mean u r a ny'er

being in a pj show does not mean u r a pj fan

I went to chi for 2 shows and the people around me annoyed the heck out of me

I didn't post that chi fans are this or that

I just logically thought fuck I'm sitting near annoying people and moved on with my life

I can't remember seeing/reading so many threads comparing fans

wtf? who cares

I don't go for the audience
    I go for pj

hrd2imgn wrote:

As a normally midwestern show seeing fan, I took to the road to see the boys at the legendary MSG. Always hear teh NY people blabbing on , on how they are the best fans blah blah blah.

2. well over half the fans I met were not even from NY, I don't know how much of a sample size is accurate but I met at least 50 people and majority were not from greater NY.

so taking those into account here is my conclusion: MSG shows are amazing, no doubt, but I attribute it more to the venue than say NY fan base itself. I found the fans in DC were just as good(except for singing along with no more) and in all my Midwest shows, Chicago fans/venues are just as rabid and good of fans. I did not see people rocking any harder in NY than I did in Dc or anywhere else. This is not a riop on NYC or saying they suck, just saying as a vet of many different shows and locations, the venue made more of a difference thant the fans in the place, and most importantly the band and how it played was the biggest factor in overall experience.

side notes: I saw way more older fans in MSG than I have anywhere else. There were grandmas and grandpas there, and ROCKING HARD I might add. I saw several fans in lottery seats and in front of me(I was row 7) that were standing the whole show. So score one for us old fogies!

So enjoy your shows mo matter where, and see them at MSg as it was great! But also see them where ever else you can as every venue is special in its own way and all offer something different from the last.
  • Options
    Well then at least we can say we have the best old fans! :p
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    I think thats the msg everybody was trying to convey
    it wasnt about the NY'ers at MSG
    in fact I kpet telling my sis..watch how many people you're gonna meet tonite from diff. parts of the country and world

it was about seeing them in the worlds greatest arena
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Options
    being in a ny show does not mean u r a ny'er

being in a pj show does not mean u r a pj fan

I went to chi for 2 shows and the people around me annoyed the heck out of me

I didn't post that chi fans are this or that

I just logically thought fuck I'm sitting near annoying people and moved on with my life

I can't remember seeing/reading so many threads comparing fans

wtf? who cares

I don't go for the audience
    I go for pj

okay moonturtle, what's with you quoting people and putting the quote at the bottom of the post? that makes no sense.

but what does make sense is when you say that "being in a ny show does not mean u r a ny'er and being in a pj show does not mean u r a pj fan." that's a good point that a lot of these people need to understand
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    The comparing shows crap has gotten out of hand here. Either that or I'm getting too old to care anymore. Anyway, I'm one of those guys that likes the crowd singing along and MSG is king for that, no matter what band plays (at least in my experience, White Stripes, the Who, U2 etc...) But as far as PJ though, I'd see them play in a dumpster.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    The comparing shows crap has gotten out of hand here. Either that or I'm getting too old to care anymore. Anyway, I'm one of those guys that likes the crowd singing along and MSG is king for that, no matter what band plays (at least in my experience, White Stripes, the Who, U2 etc...) But as far as PJ though, I'd see them play in a dumpster.

very boring and repetative (sp)
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    very boring and repetative (sp)
    huh?
  • Options
    haha

having the message above never made sense to me

if u r reading the thread u already read what I'm quoting

okay moonturtle, what's with you quoting people and putting the quote at the bottom of the post? that makes no sense.

but what does make sense is when you say that "being in a ny show does not mean u r a ny'er and being in a pj show does not mean u r a pj fan." that's a good point that a lot of these people need to understand
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:

As a normally midwestern show seeing fan, I took to the road to see the boys at the legendary MSG. Always hear the NY people blabbing on , on how they are the best fans blah blah blah.

so taking those into account here is my conclusion: MSG shows are amazing, no doubt, but I attribute it more to the venue than say NY fan base itself. I found the fans in DC were just as good(except for singing along with no more) and in all my Midwest shows, Chicago fans/venues are just as rabid and good of fans. I did not see people rocking any harder in NY than I did in Dc or anywhere else. This is not a rip on NYC or saying they suck, just saying as a vet of many different shows and locations, the venue made more of a difference thant the fans in the place, and most importantly the band and how it played was the biggest factor in overall experience.

i'm not like most of you on here that have been to 7 billion shows and can identify the exact time and place of every even flow performance, but i've been fortunate enough to see pj in a bunch of cool places...south, northeast, mexico, toronto, lolla, storytellers, sanfran, and now msg...and i have to say, i kinda bought into the hype i read on here everyday about how msg will be epic, and the band loves playing in msg more than any other place, etc...

so...msg was great...and YES, the place does shake (but im not sure if that's just how the arena is built or what)!!! but i have to agree on most accounts with the original poster...

but all in all, i think it was a great show, just like most every other pj show ive been to...but maybe it was just me...i was really expecting the most earth shattering show ive ever been to, but instead, i just left very satisfied and content!

so...cheers to ALL places that pj plays, here and abroad!

(runs for cover...)
    2000 - Houston (x2)
    2003 - Houston, NOLA
    2005 - Toronto, Mexico City (x2)
    2006 - DC, NYC Avalon (Storytellers), E Rutherford (x2), SF (x3)
    2007 - Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden (x2), DC, NYC MSG (x2), EV DC (x2)
    2009 - EV Baltimore (x2)
    2011 - EV SF (x2), Toronto (x2)
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    I agree with pretty much all your statements, annoying fans are at all venues. MSG sounds amazing and is a must see venue. I just wrote the thread to bring up a point, as we are constantly bombarded by fans claiming they are better this and that. My point is if I didn't make it clear enough is the band/venue and fans all work to make great shows, not just one element. One group of fans is not better than any other as we are all great!
  • Options
    haha

having the message above never made sense to me

if u r reading the thread u already read what I'm quoting

but if someone is scrolling down and stops to read your post, it wouldn't make sense until they scrolled down more to see exactly what you're responding to.

I know that there are message board posters who like to do things a little differently so that their posts stand out. you quoting the way you do is not unlike like how SENROCK! centers everything or how Brain of C always types really, really small.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 469
    I see your schwartz is as big as mine

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    I'd see them play in a dumpster.

Hey, this concert stinks.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    or maybe i just like typing at the top left

or maybe cuz im a ny'er i do it

cuz u know how ny messages r sooo much better

haha

so yea

it just happens, I didn't sit here an think how will I stand out

I like to think it happens naturally

:)

but if someone is scrolling down and stops to read your post, it wouldn't make sense until they scrolled down more to see exactly what you're responding to.

I know that there are message board posters who like to do things a little differently so that their posts stand out. you quoting the way you do is not unlike like how SENROCK! centers everything or how Brain of C types really, really small.
  • Options
    or maybe it is something deeper and psychological

like get out of my way so I can make a point
    oooo
  • Options
    The worst PJ concert I saw was at MSG, MSG 1 98, was awful. Sound problems all night, a never ending lecture about privacy. I try to call them as I see them.
  • Options
    that must be what it is

or maybe it is something deeper and psychological

like get out of my way so I can make a point
    oooo

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    my only thing about the shows was just the setlist. I would have liked Immortality, maybe Blood, or a lil more variety, but it is what it is..I got LROM, AATW, and Black Diamond for the 1st time and you can't beat that with a bat
    and the energy and everything else def made up for that, so Im happy
  • Options
    hahah u like this or that also!!!!!

stickboy wrote:
    my only thing about the shows was just the setlist. I would have liked Immortality, maybe Blood, or a lil more variety, but it is what it is..I got LROM, AATW, and Black Diamond for the 1st time and you can't beat that with a bat
    and the energy and everything else def made up for that, so Im happy
  • Options
    haha

so I stayed home today

bad cold from DC
    which I happily spread at both msg shows

and the pit has kept me laughing most of the day

not that I'm trying to change the topic or anything
    but...

how was ur day spent?

that must be what it is
  • Options
    hasigawahasigawa Posts: 55
    The MSG mystique is more about what the show is than trying to compare it to another venue. MSG is in one of the biggest cities in the world and these shows generally attract some of the most rabid fans of the band from all around the world who come out to see it. To say the crowd is not any better than other city is not a novel statement as I've been to a few cities and the crowds are just as good however from my experiences I have the most fun with other fan clubbers in NY more than any other city. For example, before Weds show I met people from Ireland, England, Utah and Cincy and had a few beers and then in the show sat with people from Germany, Hawaii and Boston (coincidentally, no NYers in my immediate area) and had a blast with them all show singing and dancing........

for the record, best crowd I've ever experienced might be a Philly Spectrum show.......but NY is always my fav place to see them......
  • Options
    timrothtimroth Posts: 215
    NY'ers are people too.
  • Options
    timroth wrote:
    NY'ers are people too.
    lol
    no we're not
    we're a buncha animals

hey Leilamoon..Black Sheep was my shit! :) 80's and 90's hip hop is as far as I go..after that all that 2000, Durty south, and Fity cent shit is garbage to me
  • Options
    i met this dude from NY on night one when we were waiting for the box office to open to get our tix,he was on his "lunch break" and had to be back to work for a conference call but the tickets were late which made him late for his call.there he is on his cell in a mob of people 1/2 jokingly asking people to "shhhhh" for his call.funny shit,cool NYer dude.

i had a blast and loved MSG & NYC.
  • Options
    DCRONINDCRONIN Posts: 39
    I live in New York City, went to MSG II, and I do not own a cell phone nor a BBQ.
  • Options
    yep I only know old hip hop

like 5 songs

stickboy wrote:
    lol
    no we're not
    we're a buncha animals

hey Leilamoon..Black Sheep was my shit! :) 80's and 90's hip hop is as far as I go..after that all that 2000, Durty south, and Fity cent shit is garbage to me
  • Options
    yep I only know old hip hop

like 5 songs
    lmao like 5 songs!
    nice

lemme guess

a Tupac song, 1 Biggie maybe a Jay-z song annndd...Fresh Prince? :D
  • Options
    stickboy wrote:
    lmao like 5 songs!
    nice

lemme guess

a Tupac song, 1 Biggie maybe a Jay-z song annndd...Fresh Prince? :D

no MC Hammer,Rob Base,Young MC and Vanilla ice :D you know Top 40 radio garbage!! that's not hip-hop that's rap.there IS a difference.