Options

The eternal people standing in the close seats problem

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
edited June 2008 in The Porch
As someone who usually gets great seats(and I do appreciate them every damn time by the way) I was all for the lottery. Why not let some new faces and people get to experience the band up close and personal? I have had my times and it was nice seeing some nes faces up there(and back)

now what I noticed, was the lottery fans were not into the show, or rocking harder, singing louder, more or less loyal any more than the people who were normally there. The statues many of you refer to(old timers up front always seemingly standing) were just as good as any of the three lottery crews in DC or MSG 1/2. In fact I think they overall were better than what I saw. I saw new people there rocking hard as you can and I saw new people dead center front row stand leaning on the rail not budging once the whole show! So get off the old timers' backs by saying they don;t have it anymore as none of the new crowds brought it like they normally do! I mentioned in another post I saw some grandmas and grandpas there in front of where I was (7th row) These elderly people at least 65, were singing and moving more than most of the fans I saw in rows 1 and 2! Now in the rows between lottery sections there were also people standing too, but no less than what was in row 1/2.

just my take...nice seeing and letting some new blood up there, but they did not add anything as far as energy and zest any more than the "crew" usually up there.

for all the pessimists out there I was rocking my ass off all night long, 3 shows in a row!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SylSyl Posts: 149
    Maybe they were in heaven? Too blown away?

Are we enjoying the show when we *sit *stand *jump *dance *scream *sing *be silent?

At D.C. two guys in front of me were really standing still and not moving;
    At NY a guy next to me was sitting the whole time.

I'll bet they were enjoying the show just as much as all the others...

A girl in front of me in Camden was jumping and sceaming the whole show, waving her arms every second no mather if it was a wild song or a beautiful slow song, put her shirt off to get Ed's attention during LBC, jumping on my toes, almost got in a fight with 3 different girls....

I'll bet she enjoyed the show too...

Different behaviour doesn't mean a thing about their experience. And for me the girls behaviour was the most annoying...
  • Options
    i think the lottery is about letting those with shitty 10c #'s be up front for once without dropping big $ on a ticket.

i know some have made negative comments about the "old timers" up front not rocking out enough.

maybe the "noobs" were so stunned they were that close they were too mesmerized to jump around? :D

my # sucks,i'm a long time fan but recent fan club member {'06}
    i know i would of shit if i had got front row @ MSG!!
  • Options
    i agree.
    the front rows were no more or less "involved" than the "old guard statues".

i do still think it is nice to let The High Numbers up front.
    :D

Someone said, "maybe they're just mesmerized", and i think that is true.
    Speaking as someone who has had the privelage of being that close (and i'm sure many others can attest the same), there is a certain magik that transpires between the first few rows and the stage.

What i mean is simply that it IS mesmerizing.
    The "statues" many of you used to speak of were people standing and looking UP towards the stage (since it is several feet above your eye level from the front) and simply being so visualy involved in the experience of being able to literaly see the hairs in the nostril of whichever band member they were closest to that they just did not even think to jump or move around.

It did NOT mean they were "bored" or what have you.
    It just means they were really fucking close to the band, and that close, jumping is counterproductive to being able to see clearly!

That being said, maybe they were bored.
    Who knows.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    maybe i was in so much fucking shock that i was in the first row i didn't move very much? not to mention i'm not the type to jump around and dance. i enjoy music in my own way.
  • Options
    OmahaJammerOmahaJammer Posts: 261
    hobbes wrote:
    i'm not the type to jump around and dance. i enjoy music in my own way.

I'm exactly the same way. I have trouble taking it all in if I'm flailing around like a monkey in a banana factory. I'm rocking way harder than 99% of the people there....in my mind.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    StellaBlueStellaBlue Posts: 48
    I just gotta say - I am totally mystified by the number of posts of people judging how hard other people are rocking...

Sorry - I've been avoiding making this post for quite some time, but today I'm in a shitty mood and it just kind of slipped out.

btw, I'm not above being judgemental: as wrong as I think it is. I'm always amazed at people who don't clap after songs. As a performer I know that verbal/physical appreciation from your audience is truly mana from heaven. Carry on...
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I was too far away from the lottery seats to notice..but it looked like everyone was rocking out..or maybe I was so into it..I didn't notice.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    i go to watch pearl jam play. if i wanted to jump around and all that..i'd just turn my stereo up really loud at home.
  • Options
    hobbes wrote:
    i go to watch pearl jam play. if i wanted to jump around and all that..i'd just turn my stereo up really loud at home.

lol...well some people are over the top...mostly because of drunkeness. I think I have an appropriate level of enthusiasm :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    lol...well some people are over the top...mostly because of drunkeness. I think I have an appropriate level of enthusiasm :D

uh.
    its not the drunkeness.
    its the fanaticism.

in fact, i often get jelly belly from the beer and CANT jump around as much as if i were cone sold tober!

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I agree with Hrd2imgn....
    So what if someone isn't "Rocking as hard as I am"? What? Is there some kind of fucking... Rocking Standard we are all supposed to adhere to?
    No!!!
    Some people "Rock Hard" so other people can see them and assume, "Wow... he MUST be a big fan because of his Rocking Hardedness". For all we know, he's just a fucking tool looking for affirmation.
    Others like to just kick back and enjoy the live music.
    So Fucking WHAT???
    Either you enjoy the fucking show... or NOT. In my book, worrying about how other people react to live music is just so fucking High School lame. Just do your own motherfucking thang and be done with it.
    As for the long time Club members... if they didn't enjoy the shows.. they'd quit going. They enjoy the shows.. let them be.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I agree that people enjoy the show in their own way. Not every one is the jumping/singing/dancing type. Who cares, as long as YOU'RE having a good time in your own way, don't worry about it. I do however also agree that the band feeds off the energy from the crowd, so being a TOTAL deadbeat is a put off to them, as they have no energy to feed off of...Enjoy it in your own way but at least clap as damn hard & loud as you can to make some noise for the guys so they know you're appreciating it. :)
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    hobbes wrote:
    maybe i was in so much fucking shock that i was in the first row i didn't move very much? not to mention i'm not the type to jump around and dance. i enjoy music in my own way.

maybe all the poor old farts who used to be up front felt the same way. you think if you hit those seats again it'll be any different? of my 3 times on front row, none was less astounding than the other...

i agree with the OP's assessment of the first couple of rows. i commented on it at the 3 shows i went to this tour, as did others i was with and who sat around me.

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Sour grapes don't make fine wine. :cool:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    I beginning to think you felt old this tour.

Either way did u think they were in shock of how great the band is, how close they were?

Sometimes I just stand there and stare, it is called individuality. That is how at that moment I was taking in everything.

There was one guy with a green tshirt in front of mike going nuts and the dude next to him was just standing there, I thought it was great.

Who knows maybe that is y ed was doing the stripper dance, trying to get everyone to jump around, I know it worked for me!

maybe switch tickets with someone way in the back next time, it is time for a new perspective.

hrd2imgn wrote:
    As someone who usually gets great seats(and I do appreciate them every damn time by the way) I was all for the lottery. Why not let some new faces and people get to experience the band up close and personal? I have had my times and it was nice seeing some nes faces up there(and back)

now what I noticed, was the lottery fans were not into the show, or rocking harder, singing louder, more or less loyal any more than the people who were normally there. The statues many of you refer to(old timers up front always seemingly standing) were just as good as any of the three lottery crews in DC or MSG 1/2. In fact I think they overall were better than what I saw. I saw new people there rocking hard as you can and I saw new people dead center front row stand leaning on the rail not budging once the whole show! So get off the old timers' backs by saying they don;t have it anymore as none of the new crowds brought it like they normally do! I mentioned in another post I saw some grandmas and grandpas there in front of where I was (7th row) These elderly people at least 65, were singing and moving more than most of the fans I saw in rows 1 and 2! Now in the rows between lottery sections there were also people standing too, but no less than what was in row 1/2.

just my take...nice seeing and letting some new blood up there, but they did not add anything as far as energy and zest any more than the "crew" usually up there.

for all the pessimists out there I was rocking my ass off all night long, 3 shows in a row!
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    fuck that. there is no problem.
    I was at the DC show, front center, and I was definitely enjoying my time. I was going nuts. I brought my older brother though, and he's not a huge fan (although he was blown away by his first pj show and is checking them out now), so he wasn't going nuts either... that does not mean he didn't enjoy the show...

the lottery is great. you guys are able to enjoy the shows from 3rd and 4th row, and the lucky ones can have a chance to enjoy it in the front.
  • Options
    I'm voting for those guys also

_outlaw wrote:
    fuck that. there is no problem.
    I was at the DC show, front center, and I was definitely enjoying my time. I was going nuts. I brought my older brother though, and he's not a huge fan (although he was blown away by his first pj show and is checking them out now), so he wasn't going nuts either... that does not mean he didn't enjoy the show...

the lottery is great. you guys are able to enjoy the shows from 3rd and 4th row, and the lucky ones can have a chance to enjoy it in the front.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    I am with you all, if you wanna stand and not move all good. You should be able to enjoy the show however you feel.

At the same point don't fucking rip people for not moving in the front either as the trend was before the lottery.

movement does not correlate in any way to show enjoyment.

I do see the point of band feeding off the energy, and in turn they become more inspired from a crowd of lively people as I think the poor participation in singing during no More in DC soured Ed just enough to not play a song or two more

So as usual my point was not clear enough- don't bitch about the people doing or not doing stuff in front, just focus on your part and enjoy the show. It does not matter what demographic is where there will be people standing, people rocking, and hopefully all enjoying the show
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    hrd2imgn wrote:

now what I noticed, was the lottery fans were not into the show, or rocking harder, singing louder, more or less loyal any more than the people who were normally there*. The statues many of you refer to(old timers up front always seemingly standing) were just as good as any of the three lottery crews in DC or MSG 1/2. In fact I think they overall were better than what I saw. I saw new people there rocking hard as you can and I saw new people dead center front row stand leaning on the rail not budging once the whole show! So get off the old timers' backs by saying they don;t have it anymore as none of the new crowds brought it like they normally do! I mentioned in another post I saw some grandmas and grandpas there in front of where I was (7th row) These elderly people at least 65, were singing and moving more than most of the fans I saw in rows 1 and 2! Now in the rows between lottery sections there were also people standing too, but no less than what was in row 1/2.

* Obviously, you werent at Camden 2 then, when Mr Shackles ( the rookie wins the lottery ! ) and Myself were right on the railing on Mikeys side.
    We didnt stop once,
    ( okay well i did briefly sit down to drink a coke- my bloodsugar crashed )
    but after those 30 seconds we didnt stop once all night. Mikey was getting quite the kick out of us , and made sure we all got a funky yellow boston terrier laden guitar pic. Mike on 1 side, Mccready on the other.

I think this probably does vary from place to place.

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    umm
    do as u want done to u

lol
    is that right

wtf do u care that people complain that some guy, which apprently was not u, did not move enough?

I think spread what u want to see

u want a happy, positive , love pj board, talk abut that, but if every time I come to the board i c one of ur threads, i think ugh what is he complaining about now, it might get personal

I might just have to make all your threads about puppies and bunnies listening to pj

soooo
    yea dc was not a great show, ed did not stop singing cuz of the crowd, the HEAT was killing him, those lights are insane, and he is moving around, yet verizon apparently does not know how to operate the air system

so yea

umm I have no more shows to go to, anyone want to sponsor me for a show

:)

hrd2imgn wrote:
    I am with you all, if you wanna stand and not move all good. You should be able to enjoy the show however you feel.

At the same point don't fucking rip people for not moving in the front either as the trend was before the lottery.

movement does not correlate in any way to show enjoyment.

I do see the point of band feeding off the energy, and in turn they become more inspired from a crowd of lively people as I think the poor participation in singing during no More in DC soured Ed just enough to not play a song or two more

So as usual my point was not clear enough- don't bitch about the people doing or not doing stuff in front, just focus on your part and enjoy the show. It does not matter what demographic is where there will be people standing, people rocking, and hopefully all enjoying the show
  • Options
    Biggest WaveBiggest Wave Posts: 686
    Rocks wrote:
    Maybe they were in heaven? Too blown away?

Are we enjoying the show when we *sit *stand *jump *dance *scream *sing *be silent?

At D.C. two guys in front of me were really standing still and not moving;
    At NY a guy next to me was sitting the whole time.

I'll bet they were enjoying the show just as much as all the others...

A girl in front of me in Camden was jumping and sceaming the whole show, waving her arms every second no mather if it was a wild song or a beautiful slow song, put her shirt off to get Ed's attention during LBC, jumping on my toes, almost got in a fight with 3 different girls....

I'll bet she enjoyed the show too...

Different behaviour doesn't mean a thing about their experience. And for me the girls behaviour was the most annoying...

This guy hits the nail right on the head. Everybody reacts differently to the same situation. Just because someone is jumping around like a lunatic doesn't mean that they're not enjoying the show. What concerns me more is how people are so concerned about how other people are acting at a show. Who the fuck cares? Enjoy it in your own way and let others enjoy it in their way. People really have to stop concerning themselves with what other people are doing or how they choose to conduct their lives.
  • Options
    uh.
    its not the drunkeness.
    its the fanaticism.

in fact, i often get jelly belly from the beer and CANT jump around as much as if i were cone sold tober!

Well in the case with the people around me it was drunkenness. And I have seen people do some crazy contortions while drunk so maybe it boils down to how some people handle their liquor...:D

I love PJ but it's not about fanaticism with me. But I don't think that makes me any less of a fan.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    There wasn't a reaction during No More during DC? I thought there was. Maybe it was just the people around me who knew it. I was singing the chorus real loud as I didn't know much of the other words.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird