Options

Bono loves The Fixer

2»

Comments

• Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    scorp65 wrote:
    Bono quote In the new Rolling Stone w/ U2 on the cover:

“In this age of celebrity and pop stardom, maybe it’s a sensible thing to question the values of being a pop star. Radiohead, Pearl Jam, a lot of people, who maybe had more sense than us, rejected it. But the thing that’s suffered from that stance was that precious, pure thing, what they used to call the 45. That new Pearl Jam song (The Fixer) - it's brilliant. It's got that attitude, like, 'We want it.'"

Great read, thank you
    Don't hate me but personally I like Bono and U2 ;)
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    FUCK BONO
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,252
    petrocs wrote:
    Bono hate is just cause the people who hate him dont want to look themselves in the mirror or face the fact that they dont try and make this world a better place on a day to day basis like he does..FACT

He makes us think about how we are living and how we CAN help those who need our assistance yet we sit in our homes and eat our McDonalds and watch CNN and say "what a shame" Man this guy takes so much backlash for absolutely no reason. Ed does exactly the same thing for the things he stands for..so does Bruce..and Bob Dylan..and Chris Martin..and whomever else has something to speak out about. Anyone who says "Bono sucks" or "shut up Boner" or whatever has exactly ZERO idea of who that man really is or how hard he works to help the worlds poor.

God...it seriously annoys me...its one thing to not be a fan of U2...its a totally and completely different thing to mock him or dispise him for doing good...oh and BTW...to the guy who said "Bono doesnt live like a middle class man" well no..he doesnt nor should he..but what you forget to mention is the tens of MILLIONS him and U2 have donated..lets see how many rock acts can say THAT
    Well put.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    FUCK BONO

stupid statement...shows your ignorance..unless he did something PERSONALLY to you and effected your life in a negative way thats a stupid comment...and "his music sucks" doesnt count
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I've been slightly getting into U2. I remember I used to be obsessed with this song and just bought it on itunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31bd0bNI-jA

I know its kinda off topic but whats there best album to buy? I also was thinking of getting the new one.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    petrocs wrote:
    Bono hate is just cause the people who hate him dont want to look themselves in the mirror or face the fact that they dont try and make this world a better place on a day to day basis like he does..FACT

He makes us think about how we are living and how we CAN help those who need our assistance yet we sit in our homes and eat our McDonalds and watch CNN and say "what a shame" Man this guy takes so much backlash for absolutely no reason. Ed does exactly the same thing for the things he stands for..so does Bruce..and Bob Dylan..and Chris Martin..and whomever else has something to speak out about. Anyone who says "Bono sucks" or "shut up Boner" or whatever has exactly ZERO idea of who that man really is or how hard he works to help the worlds poor.

God...it seriously annoys me...its one thing to not be a fan of U2...its a totally and completely different thing to mock him or dispise him for doing good...oh and BTW...to the guy who said "Bono doesnt live like a middle class man" well no..he doesnt nor should he..but what you forget to mention is the tens of MILLIONS him and U2 have donated..lets see how many rock acts can say THAT

You're absolutely right. I'm sure he's had the same convictions his entire life. Before he was rich and famous. Now that he is, in fact, "rich and famous" he's considered a "hypocrite." That's wrong.
    He's a good person. Sometimes I feel like he was placed here for a reason. For his voice (Not his singing voice.) Maybe his music is supposed to be secondary.
    I know he doesn't feel that way, but that's the way I see it.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Say what you will, but The Joshua Tree is one of the greatest albums ever written. I have always been a fan of U2 and always like hearing what their new music is like.

I also really appreciate U2's (and Bono's) appreciation of Pearl Jam. This is not the first time that Bono has admitted that maybe Pearl Jam had the right idea to pull away from mass stardom. Each band took their own path, and each band has the respect and friendship of the other.

I remember reading about a tour a few years ago when PJ and U2 were together, and how after a show, both bands (probably minus Mike) got smashed together on some good vodka that U2 had supplied. How cool would it have been to be a fly on the wall during that drunken party?
    I think War is better than Joshua Tree, but to each their own. 8-)
    War is also a great album. :D
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,252
    I've been slightly getting into U2. I remember I used to be obsessed with this song and just bought it on itunes:

I know its kinda off topic but whats there best album to buy? I also was thinking of getting the new one.
    It was quite cool live during Popmart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4oqpqu0jZ4&NR=1

Hard to say where to start or what their "best" album is. If you like HMTMKMKM, I'd perhaps start with Achtung Baby.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    CahootsCahoots Posts: 140
    Bono - is a fucking rock star, a real leather pants wearing, sun glasses, iconic rock star. How fun would his job be? He might be the last of his kind.

Zoo TV remains the most impressive rock show I have ever seen. PJ has come close.
    Poncier wrote:

It was quite cool live during Popmart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4oqpqu0jZ4&NR=1

Hard to say where to start or what their "best" album is. If you like HMTMKMKM, I'd perhaps start with Achtung Baby.

If you have a bag of weed -Achtung Baby
    If you have a bag of mushrooms - Zooropa
    If you're driving a car - Joshua Tree
    If you've been dumped by your girlfriend - All that you cant leave behind
    If you're hosting a dinner party - How to dismantle an atomic bomb and No line o the horizon (shuffle)
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Get back to saving the world Bono!!!
  • Options
    petrocs wrote:
    FUCK BONO

stupid statement...shows your ignorance..unless he did something PERSONALLY to you and effected your life in a negative way thats a stupid comment...and "his music sucks" doesnt count

how does that show my ignorance?
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    petrocs wrote:
    FUCK BONO

how does that show my ignorance?

because there is no SUBSTANCE to your comment! its so EASY to say "Fuck Bono" but WHY are you saying it? what did he do for you to make such a comment? hes a husband, a father of 4, a man who does real good for society..why does "Fuck Bono" makes sense? its shows that you are ignorant to the fact that he is a man working hard to better this world..do you say "Fuck Mandela"? do you say "Fuck Bob Geldof"? I doubt you do..so why Fuck Bono?!
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    IamBETELIamBETEL Posts: 110
    OH NOES BONO LIKES THE FIXER :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    good on him, hes not wrong
  • Options
    i don't get the hate on this board. pearl jam is about love and peace and art.

U2 isn't my cup of tea musically, but I admire their charity work. if any of you who are saying "F--K BONO" do 1/10th of 1% of the good he does for charities, then MAYBE you have room to talk. I'm guessing that you don't.

Really, I don't get the amount of unwarranted venom that is spewed here towards other bands. You all act like it's a football team you're supporting, and for U2 to win, PJ has to lose and vice versa. That's not the case. They can both continue to be successful independent of one another.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,161
    i don't get the hate on this board. pearl jam is about love and peace and art.

U2 isn't my cup of tea musically, but I admire their charity work. if any of you who are saying "F--K BONO" do 1/10th of 1% of the good he does for charities, then MAYBE you have room to talk. I'm guessing that you don't.

Really, I don't get the amount of unwarranted venom that is spewed here towards other bands. You all act like it's a football team you're supporting, and for U2 to win, PJ has to lose and vice versa. That's not the case. They can both continue to be successful independent of one another.

Amen, man.

If there's one band I admire more than Pearl Jam, it's U2.
    I've seen them a few more times than PJ in concert and they have always given me more than my ticket's value (without trying to make me feel good by bashing the previous night's crowd, as a certain lead singer has been doing lately).
    They are the real deal. No band in rock history has been as relevant and influential for so long.
    In high school, U2 was there for me. In college, it was PJ. At 40, they're both there, making great music that still cuts to my soul and my station in life.

I was lucky enough to be one of 70,000 people at the Chicago tour opener at Soldier Field a few weeks ago. That scene doesn't exist 33 years after you form as a badn without doing something right.

My favorite U2 album: Achtung Baby.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Bono also once spent $1500 to have his hat sent first class to Italy.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    CahootsCahoots Posts: 140

Thats cool
    Cahoots

1992 VAN
    1993 VAN
    1998 Missoula
    2000 Barcelona & Boise
    2002 SEA 2x
    2003 VAN
    2005 VAN, Calgary, Edmonton & Saskatoon
    2006 The Gorge
    2009 SEA & VAN
    2011 VAN
    2013 Portland & VAN
    2015 Mexico City
    2018 Missoula
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Who gives a flying fuck? How does this pertain to ANYTHING remotely important? :roll:
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Which in return goes back into the economy and helps airline workers keep their jobs and put food on their plates..

Would you rather have him horde is money like a lot of selfish rich people do?
  • Options
    scorp65 wrote:
    Bono quote In the new Rolling Stone w/ U2 on the cover:

“In this age of celebrity and pop stardom, maybe it’s a sensible thing to question the values of being a pop star. Radiohead, Pearl Jam, a lot of people, who maybe had more sense than us, rejected it. But the thing that’s suffered from that stance was that precious, pure thing, what they used to call the 45. That new Pearl Jam song (The Fixer) - it's brilliant. It's got that attitude, like, 'We want it.'"

Finally, definitive proof that The Fixer is the lamest song Pearl Jam has ever made.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com