Options

Johnny Guitar

Rowan.LukinRowan.Lukin Posts: 4
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Before listening to the album straight through for the first time the tracks I had heard were Fixer and Got Some.

As I made my way through Backspacer go to woah, the tracks that stood out were Just Breathe and Amongst The Waves.

I thought Johnny Guitar was interesting but couldn't get a handle on it the first time.

After a few listens I began to think it an interesting track and after bit longer I'm certain it's the best song on the album. It's blink and you miss it at under three minutes but this song contains the best grooves, riffs and vocals on Backspacer.

The innovative structure and unique melodies for each verse and chorus make it hard to follow and grow familiarity but after a while it I found it easy to pick up each bit of the song and they way they brilliantly complement each other.

"Oh yeah how I had been hoping
That when she came, she would come for me!"

Oh yeah.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    My friend welcome to the fan club of johnny guitar :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    The innovative structure and unique melodies for each verse and chorus make it hard to follow and grow familiarity but after a while it I found it easy to pick up each bit of the song and they way they brilliantly complement each other.

This is the case with ALL of Matt's songs. Some people just don't know how to absorb music. Everything has be in 4/4 all the way through or have a "steady groove" or it means nothing. I think it's funny how many people on this board have listened to "Johnny Guitar" once or twice and declared it "horrible" or "just another awkward and crappy Matt song" and proceed to skip the song from that point forward. Dummies.
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    song has been stuck in my head. "and I sleep with the light on". That part is really cool.

I love the funny little story, Eddie's awesome delivery, and the ending rocks!
  • Options
    Pearl JamesPearl James Pittsburgh/Chicago Posts: 420
    I like Johnny Guitar alot actually.

Well, I really like the lyrics, but the song really has no structure, no chorus really, and it fades out. It had potential, but it was probably a scrap song of some sort they recorded early and decided it deserved to be on the record later on. Seeing as they got the inspiration for the song from their recording studios bathroom :/
  • Options
    Just wait until you hear it live. Oh my god! :shock:
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,223
    love it
  • Options
    MY FAVORITE ON THE ALBUM!!!

Yeah...I said loud. Better loud than too late.

I can NOT get the song out of my head. I love the lyrics.

"With a leg under a red dress I wish I could see
    Further North a warmth alive & lingering"

Worth it for those lyrics alone. I listen to it all the time, I can't help it. Then, all my girlfriends that are not uber PJ fans like me do not get it AT ALL and even skip it.

I am thinking I need a "I *heart* Johnny Guitar" shirt...like the "I *heart* Eddie Vedder' ones. I better get this song in San Diego. :twisted:
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I really like this song now, becoming my 2nd fav to listen to after Unthought Known

I just put the clip on my FB profile of Seatle1
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options

This is the case with ALL of Matt's songs. Some people just don't know how to absorb music. Everything has be in 4/4 all the way through or have a "steady groove" or it means nothing. I think it's funny how many people on this board have listened to "Johnny Guitar" once or twice and declared it "horrible" or "just another awkward and crappy Matt song" and proceed to skip the song from that point forward. Dummies.

+100

I love matts odd grooves, especially in the moonlight. One of the best grooves and drums in a pj song IMO. Sad people don't get it. Anyway on topic, Johnny Guitar is great and I love all the different parts in the song all under 2:50. The bridge where Ed sings "and I sleep with the light on, in case she comes" is so amazing with that bassline and drum pattern.

That said, I actually like the fixer more. I've grown to love the poppy sound.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Whenever I bung the cd into my car cd player Johnny Guitar is always one of the songs I listen to. Haven't tired of it yet, love the catchy melody. I find it strange that some people don't like it, it's easy listening and a little different. Dont understand why people like to hang it on Matt, most of his songs are fine with me and underrated.
  • Options
    Johnny Guitar used to be what I thought was hands down the worst song on the album...now I'd put it in the middle of the pack, so it's definitely growing on me. Just takes some getting used to...awesome song!
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    One of the best songs on the album, IMO. A bit of a new direction that really paid off. It does have a unique song structure, but it works perfectly. A little more innovative than most of Backspacer, puts it all together. I typically like Matts writing style though.

I also have to say, I'm not feeling the Unthought Known love. It's decent, but about the only song I skip over. A little over-rated.
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    morocka said:
    "I also have to say, I'm not feeling the Unthought Known love. It's decent, but about the only song I skip over. A little over-rated.["

I know! i came on here and saw that everyone has it as the best song on the album. Huh? I mean I almost always prefer Eddie's songs but this one doesn't seem epic or heart-wrenching or totally rocking. What's the fuss all about? Johnny Guitar is a better listen for me...
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    damen wrote:
    morocka said:
    "I also have to say, I'm not feeling the Unthought Known love. It's decent, but about the only song I skip over. A little over-rated.["

I know! i came on here and saw that everyone has it as the best song on the album. Huh? I mean I almost always prefer Eddie's songs but this one doesn't seem epic or heart-wrenching or totally rocking. What's the fuss all about? Johnny Guitar is a better listen for me...
    gems and rhinestones... gems and rhinstones
  • Options
    That line "I've had my disappointment cos for years I had been hoping..." keeps getting stuck in my head. I agree that this is a catchy tune, very interesting chord progression with awesome vocals. During my first real listen through Backspacer, I came on the board and said how much Eddie's voice reminds me of the Vs. era on this track. Matt shines on this track too. All the tempo changes and different patterns. It's pretty good.

Recently as I was waiting on a dream,
    She came to visit lost and lonely me.
    Oh, She leaned over the bed and with the lips above my head
    She asked if I had seen her Johnny

Awesome!

I think my favorite vocal delivery still has to go to Force of Nature and Just Breathe, though.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    squidsquid Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Posts: 86
    Awesome tune, one of my favs for sure!
  • Options
    top 1 or 2 song on the album. love it
  • Options
    IsaacIsaac Posts: 137
    Upon first listen last week this was a major standout... for good reasons... not bad (see my thoughts on speed 'o sound)

one of the reasons I enjoyed PJs music back in the day (initially) was Eds lyrical delivery... in 91 and 92 he had a very pecular style, caught my attention... not that he has changed per se, but perhaps everyone caught up. Anyway, the lyrical cadence of this track knocked me off guard a bit... plus the quintessential Ed word-blend... "foriginal"...

Isaac
  • Options
    big time!
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • Options
    I am really not loving it at all...it's the only song I have skipped on Backspacer!
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    I always believed I didn't like Johnny Guiter. But PJ Radio played it this week...and it's incredible. A lot of unexpected melodies and changes. Love it.

(Sorry to dig up and an old thread — but why start a new one?)
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Love this song. The vocals sound amazing. And the ending has Classic EV all over it.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    In my top ten least favorite songs. Just not a fan
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    This is a great song and an official video should've been made for this.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    Haven't thought about this song in like 4-5 years.... forgot it existed. But liked it on Backspacer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Replace Johnny Guitar with Of The Earth and Backspacer would be a classic LP
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,496
    my2hands said:

Replace Johnny Guitar with Of The Earth and Backspacer would be a classic LP

Can't buy this theory

Of the Earth is by far superior. Believe most would agree. Just don't get how one song would make an album become classic. Doesn't that mean then that the other 10 songs are already amazing or really good? I guess I'm assuming you think as it currently stands it's not that great like a lot of people.

I love Backspacer. Not my favorite but I'm not a hater about it.
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    Absolutely love this song. Don't know how anyone who calls themselves a Pearl Jam fan could not like the "Oh yeah how I had been hoping
    That when she came, she would come for me!" -> end jam.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    liked it from the beginning. sorry they don't play it live more often. have been hoping to catch that one.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,111
    Im putting on Backspacer for the first time in like 3 years now. All for this :)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"