Got Some/Devo's Gut Feeling

Backspacer_BackerBackspacer_Backer Posts: 1,023
edited November 2009 in The Porch
So there's been talk around cyberspace that Got Some is, depending who you ask, a direct rip off at most, or a coincidentally similar song to Devo's "Gut Feeling". I've never had a really good ear for this stuff, unless it's really blatant. Honestly, not saying this b/c i'm a fan of PJ, I don't hear it. Take a listen and decide for yourself.

My point is, if PJ is proven to have ripped the song off, I think they should have to do an entire tour in these outfits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfzqK5XZa-E

I think that's more than sufficient punishment.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Definitly not a rip off.. Devo SUCKS!! That cheezy keyboard.. GEEZUS.. That chord structure is present in MANY 80's new wave songs.. So the same influence maybe, but rip off.. Hell No.. If someone else says differently then I will ask them the same question fashion mags ask during awards season.. "Who wore it better?" :lol:
  • arqarq Posts: 8,003
    I don't really care!, Got some is great and gut feeling is great too! :mrgreen:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    Don't hear it at all - jesus, what crap. I think I had a keyboard like that when I was twelve...
    Dancing in irreverence
  • RJNadge4 wrote:
    Don't hear it at all - jesus, what crap. I think I had a keyboard like that when I was twelve...

Were you 12 in 1983? :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • This question came up when they played Got Some on Connan. Someone posted a picture of Ed wearing a Devo shirt at a recent show. I also heard one of the guys mention the influence in an interview. I can't remember which interview it was, but I'm sure that if you look at some recent ones, you'll find some mention of Devo

I don't wouldn't call it a 'rip off' because that sounds like they're trying to get away with something shady. It's more like an omage or something like that
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    RJNadge4 wrote:

why...yes. yes I was. 12 years old exactly in 1983...guess i shouldve kept my trap closed.
    Dancing in irreverence
  • bhigh901 wrote:
    Definitly not a rip off.. Devo SUCKS!! That cheezy keyboard.. GEEZUS.. That chord structure is present in MANY 80's new wave songs.. So the same influence maybe, but rip off.. Hell No.. If someone else says differently then I will ask them the same question fashion mags ask during awards season.. "Who wore it better?" :lol:

DEVO is great.
  • so nobody else wants to see Ed and the boys in the Devo gear? I thought it'd make a great halloween costume.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,903
    So there's been talk around cyberspace that Got Some is, depending who you ask, a direct rip off at most, or a coincidentally similar song to Devo's "Gut Feeling". I've never had a really good ear for this stuff, unless it's really blatant. Honestly, not saying this b/c i'm a fan of PJ, I don't hear it. Take a listen and decide for yourself.

My point is, if PJ is proven to have ripped the song off, I think they should have to do an entire tour in these outfits:

Mike was interviewed on a radio station some months back and he requested for a few songs to get played, and his 1st choice was Devo's Gut Feeling,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    RJNadge4 wrote:
    RJNadge4 wrote:

why...yes. yes I was. 12 years old exactly in 1983...guess i shouldve kept my trap closed.

:lol::lol: nice reponse
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    somewhat similar

but would Ed or Stone really be influenced by that song?
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    100 Pacer wrote:

Mike was interviewed on a radio station some months back and he requested for a few songs to get played, and his 1st choice was Devo's Gut Feeling,...

Here's the list of songs Mike requested:

http://www.fm949sd.com/blogs/halloran/b ... D=10043081

...Does this mean we'll start getting Got Some w/ Slap Your Mammy tagged on?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    Sing I got some if you need it, when devo sings I got a gut feeeling. Its really really similar. Personally I don't think thats a bad thing, its not a rip off, just an influence that showed up. Happens in everyones work. I am digging that song though.

The real question here. Devo's Uncontrollable Urge ripping off Zeppelins Misty Mountain Hop? :shock:
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I don't care if it sounds similar in parts!
    Got Some is a good song. :mrgreen:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • .....I don't hear the similarity.
  • The riffs of each song are COMPLETELY different but the chord progression is basically the same. So even though the riffs are totally different you can still notice the similarities. The chorus is pretty identical. Even with that I dont think its a rip off at all.

Think of it this way, listen to ANY song (especially anything 2000+) in your music library and tell me there isnt SOMETHING in that song that is similar to hundreds of other songs. Bands borrow ideas all the time, Im willing to bet there isnt a single guitar riff that hasnt already been done.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    DEVO are great. And 'Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy' is a great song... but, not as good as 'Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA'.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I was out camping w/ my folks this weekend, and at one point, I busted out Backspacer.

We had barely gotten in to "Got Some" when my dad, not a PJ fan by any real stretch, says to me: "This sounds like a Devo song."

I had never mentioned the "controversy" to him before and he barely knows how to use email, let alone a PJ msg board.

Just thought I'd share. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • bhigh901 wrote:
    Definitly not a rip off.. Devo SUCKS!! That cheezy keyboard.. GEEZUS.. That chord structure is present in MANY 80's new wave songs.. So the same influence maybe, but rip off.. Hell No.. If someone else says differently then I will ask them the same question fashion mags ask during awards season.. "Who wore it better?" :lol:

As a matter of fact Devo wore it better, because they did it first 32 years ago. The chord progressions might be different but it's the same basic beat in a different key. I don't think Devo would have a case in court if they'd want to bring up a lawsuit. Hell, Saul Zaentz sued John Fogerty for plagiarizing himself? What the hell was that all about. I also think anyone that's on this board who's a musician should ask themselves if they've ever stolen a riff here or there?

On a related note, I just saw Devo last Friday night doing the whole "Are We Not Men" album. It was one of the best and wildest shows I've ever been to, and I've seen GWAR. Dorks can go pretty wild. And as a matter of fact I happen to be a huge PJ fan.
    It's just me!
  • are we not men?
  • are we not men?

It was their first album which came out in '78 which was actually titled:

"Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!"

In my opinion, it's their best, and the show totally kicked ass.
    It's just me!
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    I was thining, when Pearl Jam went into 'Got Some' right after playing 'Wipe It' at the Spectrum, my immediate thought was about this post. Personally, I don't hear the similarities.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • edited March 2019
    Just heard "Gut Feeling" for the first time in a while... Thought it sounded like Got Some, did a search... Yep. 

https://youtu.be/Cwx_Qq56YTA
    Post edited by emptycupinthemiddleofthesea on
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    Just heard "Gut Feeling" for the first time in a while... Thought it sounded like Got Some, did a search... Yep. 

https://youtu.be/Cwx_Qq56YTA
    Oh wow. Never heard this song before. I hear the similiarities.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    The lineage is strikingly apparent to me, my guess is they paid tribute to the song/band.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,165
    Is this a reason why the band dressed as devo for the Philly Halloween show? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    It’s not a direct rip off. But when it came out I definitely heard the similarities. In a good way. I like both songs.