Options

Boston travel questions...

freindlyfiredfreindlyfired Posts: 297
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Southwest flys to Manchester and Providence and is the cheapest flight out of Philly... so my questions:
From which airport (Man or Prov) would it be:
(1) Easiest to Boston (degree of difficulty car or train travel)
(2) Quickest to Boston
(3) Cheapest to Boston (see #1)

Im a Sox fan so catching a game at the Fens vs. the A's and seeing EV on the same trip would be worth it despite this/my economy.

If anyone has any air miles, air or hotel certificates, rental car coupons, or other travel hook-ups please PM me with details.

Oh and I will needs two tickets to any Red Sox game Fri Sat or Sun and two tickets to either EV show. Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Southwest flys to Manchester and Providence and is the cheapest flight out of Philly... so my questions:
    (2) Quickest to Boston

Im a Sox fan so catching a game at the Fens vs. the A's and seeing EV on the same trip would be worth it despite this/my economy.

If anyone has any air miles, air or hotel certificates, rental car coupons, or other travel hook-ups please PM me with details.

Oh and I will needs two tickets to any Red Sox game Fri Sat or Sun and two tickets to either EV show. Thanks.

Manchester, NH to Boston I'd say may be quicker. Quicker means easier. Not sure about cheaper.
    model role model
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    providence is just closer to boston.

either way, I would get a car.

you can take a train up from providence, but you have to somehow get from the airport to the train station adding another leg to your travels.

I don't think there's any sort of train from manchester, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Manchester, NH to Boston I'd say may be quicker. Quicker means easier. Not sure about cheaper.

hmm i dunno I was up in the manchester area this weekend and it may have been like a 1.5 hour drive at least. providence has never taken me more than an hour.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    hmm i dunno I was up in the manchester area this weekend and it may have been like a 1.5 hour drive at least. providence has never taken me more than an hour.

they're both an hour according to Mapquest, but I'd say traffic would be worse coming from RI.
    model role model
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    (2) Quickest to Boston

Providence.
    There's some kind of shuttle that runs from the airport to the city (about 15 miles or so) where you can pick up the MBTA to take you to Boston.

If you're serious about going to a Sox game, I'd start hunting for those tickets now. Those are harder to come by than EV tickets. PM me if you need more recommendations, I live here (Boston).
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    they're both an hour according to Mapquest, but I'd say traffic would be worse coming from RI.

not necessarily. coming down from the north shore can be brutal. it depends what time of day you are going. if it's not morning rush hour, either one is "against" traffic.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    not necessarily. coming down from the north shore can be brutal. it depends what time of day you are going. if it's not morning rush hour, either one is "against" traffic.

There's been construction by the Thurbers in RI going on for months that's annoying to drive thru and reminiscent of the Big Dig. Not sure how construction is in NH but I can't fathom traffic being that bad (again, depends on what time of day it is). But that Thurbers construction is annoying (but it's fun to drive by that big bug on the highway for the pest control business).
    model role model
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    There's been construction by the Thurbers in RI going on for months that's annoying to drive thru and reminiscent of the Big Dig. Not sure how construction is in NH but I can't fathom traffic being that bad (again, depends on what time of day it is). But that Thurbers construction is annoying (but it's fun to drive by that big bug on the highway for the pest control business).

The traffic there is not THAT bad- come on! It takes what, an extra 5-10 minutes to get around the curve? I realize that is an eternity to a Rhode Islander, but still... it's not bad.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options

well it's not NH that's the problem, it's transversing northern MA.
  • Options
    The traffic there is not THAT bad- come on! It takes what, an extra 5-10 minutes to get around the curve? I realize that is an eternity to a Rhode Islander, but still... it's not bad.

It's not bad if you catch it right, but we're in beach season and traffic has been not great at times I must say. When it rains, forget about it!
    model role model
  • Options
    Providence.
    There's some kind of shuttle that runs from the airport to the city (about 15 miles or so) where you can pick up the MBTA to take you to Boston.

If you're serious about going to a Sox game, I'd start hunting for those tickets now. Those are harder to come by than EV tickets. PM me if you need more recommendations, I live here (Boston).

if it's easy to get from the airport to the train station, I'd say go to providence and take the train (it will save you on rental car too). It's easier not to have a car to think about once you get to boston.
  • Options
    Providence.

I've had decent luck in the past walking up with cash in pocket, reasonably priced good tickets seem to find me, weird.
    Anyway Ive searched on Acela and tried direct flights and both come in around $400 per person. I guess I could drive up and back and take a few years off of my lifespan, even that plan would cost me 13 hours and $400 bucks.
    Damn, too many concerts this summer!!! All three Sox games in Philly followed by back-to-back PJ shows in one week then MSG1 and MSG2 with SoHo shopping (her) the day after really hurt me.
    I have Radiohead coming up, the wife has GM and Madonna... wtf.

Please any info/help is appreciated.
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    Fly into Providence (which is really Warwick), take the shuttle to the train station in Downtown Providence and jump on the commuter rail to Boston which will drop you in South Station.

If you drive from TF Green, just avoid a Friday afternoon and it will take you less than an hour to get into Boston. Boston's roads are terrible and confusing, I'd recommend taking the train and then using public transit which is easy stuff.

If you want to go to a Sox game, I'd suggest going on Friday night. The best way to get tickets is to go to the box office behind the centerfield bleechers early that day - they usually release some tickets if you are willing to wait out.

If you do go, leave your pink B's hat at home!
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    If you do go, leave your pink B's hat at home!

Aww poo, guess I wont bother going now. Wonder if Theo would hook me up with tix to both?
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    I have never flown out of Providence. Manchester is not that far and that airport is easy to travel into and out of.

You dont necessarily need a car. As long as you can get from the airport to where you are staying.You dont really want to have a car in the city.
    It would be a pain in the ass and they will charge you to park
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    TF Green
    Shuttle to Prov
    Prov to Boston train

and it's not even close
    Having tasted, a life wasted....

....I'll probably only go back a couple more times.
  • Options
    falconfalcon Posts: 163
    (2) Quickest to Boston

It's all about Providence. Best airport in New England. Just drive up I-95 and you're in Boston in 50 mins.
    MANSFIELD 7/3/03, 7/11/03
    BOSTON 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    HARTFORD 5/13/06
    BOSTON 5/24/06
    MANSFIELD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    EV BOSTON 8/1/08, 8/2/08
    CHICAGO 8/24/09
    HARTFORD 5/15/10
    BOSTON 5/17/10
    EV PROV 6/15/11
    WORCESTER 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HARTFORD 10/25/13
  • Options
    brainofjb wrote:
    I have never flown out of Providence. Manchester is not that far and that airport is easy to travel into and out of.

You dont necessarily need a car. As long as you can get from the airport to where you are staying.You dont really want to have a car in the city.
    It would be a pain in the ass and they will charge you to park

how do you get from manchester to boston without a car?
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    CityMouse wrote:

No way, I live in Manchester. It's 40 minutes and only 1 highway.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    how do you get from manchester to boston without a car?

I guess you are right. I though maybe they would have a bus shuttle or something.

too far for a cab
  • Options
    brainofjb wrote:
    I guess you are right. I though maybe they would have a bus shuttle or something.

too far for a cab

they might have some kind of bus, I've never found one. I've had trouble figuring out how to get from manchester to boston in the past. If you have a ride or a car lined up, it might be the more hassel-free of the two, but Providence seems to have the more convenience as you can take the commuter rail.
  • Options
    CityMouse wrote:
    they might have some kind of bus, I've never found one. I've had trouble figuring out how to get from manchester to boston in the past. If you have a ride or a car lined up, it might be the more hassel-free of the two, but Providence seems to have the more convenience as you can take the commuter rail.

yea, maybe better off with commuter rail
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    brainofjb wrote:

too far for a cab
    http://www.flymanchester.com/transportation/shuttle_service.php
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    CityMouse wrote:

Manchester to Boston has never taken me 1.5 hours and I have lived in NH my whole life. 45 minutes with no traffic. 1 hour tops. You just hook around to 93 and its a straight shot.

To get from the airport to boston to fenway park that would run over a hour. Now you are talking 1.5.

But to assist the poster of the thread, there is no public transit from Manchester to Boston other than maybe a grayhound bus. You probably would have something from RI. Manchester is the easiest airport to get in and out of hands down. I think they even still have an indoor smoking section!! (Live free or die baby!)

It all depends on where you are staying in Boston. If you are renting a car. I would say rent a car for the day you arrive and the day you depart. But while you are in Boston no car needed. Walking and the T are the way to go. Take a goofy duck tour. Go to the Boston Commons, the public park. Always so interesting any time of day.

Have a great time at the shows and the games.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    PJ20PJ20 Miami, FL Posts: 94
    Take Amtrak to South Station. Puts you downtown. You don't need a car in Boston and it's probably a burden to pay to park. The Opera House isn't far from the Boylston T stop.
  • Options
    Bluwapadoo wrote:
    Take Amtrak to South Station. Puts you downtown. You don't need a car in Boston and it's probably a burden to pay to park. The Opera House isn't far from the Boylston T stop.

you don't necessarily need to take Amtrak, the commuter rail goes from providence to south station.