Options

Just when I thought I knew him... *(eventually PJ related)

CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
edited October 2008 in The Porch
My Dad and I were painting at my new place and we were listening to his Ipod.....
I've known my Dad's musical taste and have usually laughed at it....country music:(.....ABBA, Bee Gees.... Tone Loc...anything you can dance to(he was a big DISCO guy *shakes head in embarrassment*) He also has his favorites from his navy days during vietnam....the Doors, Hendrix, CCR. But need less to say I Thought I knew what I had to deal with when allowing him to play his Ipod.....

THEN...........

a Neil Young song comes on....then another, and another, and another....
after the first I started to pay attention to him and HE WAS SINGING ALONG ( he never pays attention to the words....he says he can't hear them usually and likes to "feel the beat" so this is EXTREMELY ODD) so after a dozen or so Neil young songs I ask him about it and if he's always liked him....
He says yes and that he wanted to see him but had NO ONE to go with...at this i smiled:) now I'm gonna see Neil Young in December..woo hoo!!

BUT that's NOT IT!!!!

:D later in the day I put on the MSG2 boot from this year....
during evenflow my Dad says ...."I really DIG *(yes he still talks like that) this guitar, it's got a 60's Hendrix feel...I'm lovin it!" We listened to more and more and with each song he became more and more interested....he even loved Ed's political comments! THEN he asked to go to a show sometime.... He said the sound took him back:D This is a MAJOR compliment coming from my DAD....
I've never been so Happy with something my Dad has said! :D

In one day I found out my Dad LOVES Neil Young and wants to go to a Pearl Jam show....I'm FLOORED!
"I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    That is so cool! I wish my Dad liked good music.
    Nathan
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    That is so cool! I wish my Dad liked good music.
    I wish my dad liked me and the family. :(

P.S. Yes CiW, you're dad is cool and you should convert him into a Jammer.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    I wish my dad liked me and the family. :(

me too....my dad doesnt even know what an ipod is....he also doesnt "dig" the family....
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • Options
    I feel like an asshole now...
    Nathan
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    me too.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    My old man reckons Eddie sounds like he has swallowed razor blades :(
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    It's great to hear stories like that. I kind of went through a similar thing with my Dad last year. He knew I loved Pearl Jam, and about a year ago I gave him copies of Binaural and No Code and he loved them! I chose those because they're not necessarily as heavy as the other albums, and he's a big classic rock guy. Well, I took him to the Garden for MSG I this year, and he was absolutely floored. He even said his new favorite song is DTE, he's always singing it! After the show, he looked at me and said it was the best show he'd seen in 30 years, and that "Now, I understand why you love this band. That was amazing."

About two months later, we went to NJPAC to see Eddie, had 9th row center, and he loved it! He loved the covers Eddie did, and said he thought it was almost better than PJ!

It was a really great thing to experience with my Dad, because he knew how much I loved this band, and he never really understood it. Those nights will always stand out for me, and I owe it all to the band.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 9,018
    pjfan31 wrote:
    My old man reckons Eddie sounds like he has swallowed razor blades :(
    Funny story. My dad, who since I started listening (and being obsessed) with PJ for the last five or six years, has always said he "likes Pearl Jam's music, but Eddie Vedder whines". I told him one day he'll come with me to a Pearl Jam show and he'll appreciate it. The Massey Hall shows were announced, and I told my dad he's coming with me. Got Ten Club seats, fourth row, center! Couldn't read whether my dad liked the show or not, and he gets out, and goes "that was unbelievable, I loved every song he played". Made my night that much better. This is from a guy who could not STAND Eddie's voice, and actually made me turn off any Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder I played in the car :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Nice story :)

When I was in my teens my Dad always teased me for the music I liked but I knew he secretly liked it too. He would do things like sit with me on the sofa during one of my Unplugged watching sessions and make little comments or he would let me put my music on in the car. He always had to maintain that whole 'Oh, the rubbish that the youth of today listen to etc. etc.' and appear to be very shocked when I 'borrowed' his Led Zeppelin/Doors/Jimi Hendrix cds.

In 2000, he very kindly did the whole fighting for PJ tickets on the morning of their release thing for me, my siblings and some friends of ours. The day before the concert, he mentioned he would have liked to go and I asked him why he didn't get himself a ticket and he said, 'because I didn't think you'd want me to come with you'. That made me very sad because I would have loved him to come along and see them :(

I think we came to a music truce a couple of years ago when I gave him a copy of Opeth's Damnation for Christmas and told him that I would get him listening to a Swedish death metal band before the end of the holiday :D He didn't believe me but he loved the album. Although it's a very light and fluffy offering from the band, I think it opened his eyes to finding music outside of the 70s for once :D
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    ....my dad doesnt even know what an ipod is....
    yeah i'm still showing dad how to use a VCR :rolleyes:

he did introduce me to Queen, Fleetwood Mac & Cat Stevens at a young age though, for that i thank him :) props, daddy-o!! :cool:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,029
    what's wrong with tone loc?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    My Dad and I were painting at my new place and we were listening to his Ipod.....
    I've known my Dad's musical taste and have usually laughed at it....country music:(.....ABBA, Bee Gees.... Tone Loc...anything you can dance to(he was a big DISCO guy *shakes head in embarrassment*) He also has his favorites from his navy days during vietnam....the Doors, Hendrix, CCR. But need less to say I Thought I knew what I had to deal with when allowing him to play his Ipod.....

THEN...........

a Neil Young song comes on....then another, and another, and another....
    after the first I started to pay attention to him and HE WAS SINGING ALONG ( he never pays attention to the words....he says he can't hear them usually and likes to "feel the beat" so this is EXTREMELY ODD) so after a dozen or so Neil young songs I ask him about it and if he's always liked him....
    He says yes and that he wanted to see him but had NO ONE to go with...at this i smiled:) now I'm gonna see Neil Young in December..woo hoo!!

BUT that's NOT IT!!!!

:D later in the day I put on the MSG2 boot from this year....
    during evenflow my Dad says ...."I really DIG *(yes he still talks like that) this guitar, it's got a 60's Hendrix feel...I'm lovin it!" We listened to more and more and with each song he became more and more interested....he even loved Ed's political comments! THEN he asked to go to a show sometime.... He said the sound took him back:D This is a MAJOR compliment coming from my DAD....
    I've never been so Happy with something my Dad has said! :D

In one day I found out my Dad LOVES Neil Young and wants to go to a Pearl Jam show....I'm FLOORED!

Your Dad rocks. I couldn't get my Dad to go to a concert, period.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    my dad got me into pearl jam ive been to 5 of the 8 PJ shows ive been to with him its awesome!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    me too....my dad doesnt even know what an ipod is....he also doesnt "dig" the family....
    Bastard children stick together! :)
    me too.
    Awww guys, I didn't to be Debbie Downer.

On a positive note, my mom really likes Better Man.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009