Options

BACKSPACER IS GREAT!!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    It's not a masterpiece. Someone said today that it was a "classic"....it's been out for a week.....how can it be a classic!?

I do like it though!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    As D2D said, one's taste in the arts is very subjective. We are all moved and inspired differently. There is a lot of negativity but there is a lot of 'uber-fandom'. You have the 'this album is an absolute masterpiece and let's lynch the guy that writes a poor review' side and you have the 'this album is crap and poppy and poorly constructed - what are you guys on about' side. Seems the extremes bother posting and thus antagonise each other.

Most of us like the album, find some greatness in it, find a few flaws, but overall like it very much. Guess that is not exciting enough to post about!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    edited September 2009
    cornnifer wrote:
    and some people simply need to realize, musical taste is extrmemely subjective, and we all hear "greatness" in different things, yes....even amongst those who have a shared love for a particular band. it's not difficult to realize this, and try and accept it. :)

i 'don't get'....why so many continually start new threads on topics that already have about 357 threads in existence already, but that's just me. ;) it's also curious how we have these very SAMe threads, each new album release, tour, etc.....the internet is a predictable place. :mrgreen:

enjoy what you enjoy....let's just breathe.......
    8-)
    Everyone is entitled to opinions. It just so happens MY opinion of the new record is the CORRECT one: It's absolutely brilliant.

well goody for you for being so *right*...do you want your gold star now? :roll:
    again, enjoy what you enjoy...and let others do the same. no need to "push" your OPINION as fact, b/c it isn't...no matter how many times you type it. beyond which, there are many, many "masterpieces" hanging in museums, lauded by film critics, music charts, etc.....and no matter what "label" one slaps on something, it does NOT mean it will hold true for everyone. we all *get* and enjoy, different things. so basically, you are complaining about negativity or disagreement, and yet...you don't offer any respect opinions outside your own? didn't realize this was simply an "i am right and any who disagree with me is wrong" thread, no wonder you needed to start another, your own, to make this announcement. ;)

carry on...

redrock wrote:
    As D2D said, one's taste in the arts is very subjective. We are all moved and inspired differently. There is a lot of negativity but there is a lot of 'uber-fandom'. You have the 'this album is an absolute masterpiece and let's lynch the guy that writes a poor review' side and you have the 'this album is crap and poppy and poorly constructed - what are you guys on about' side. Seems the extremes bother posting and thus antagonise each other.

Most of us like the album, find some greatness in it, find a few flaws, but overall like it very much. Guess that is not exciting enough to post about!

what red said.
    8-)

also, apparently for many if you do not agree it is an 'absolute masterpiece' you are therefore a hater, slagging on the album, etc, etc...instead of merely having your own, reasoned opinion that doesn't outright support the idea of 'masterpiece.'
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    it's neither a classic nor PJ's masterpiece.

not out long enough to be classified either way, especially as a classic.

i mean it's great, don't get me wrong. but Vitalogy, Ten, Yield will always be better IMO.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    cornnifer wrote:
    i just don't get some of the negative shit i've been reading here. i know i could have responded to any number of threads here but, fuck it, i'm starting a new one. i am, like most here, a freak and have been since the beginning. That being said, if i was not a freak, hell, if i wasn't even a fan before, i can honestly and without bias say that after this album i would be an absolute fanatic! Back Spacer is a fucking masterpiece! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, so here's mine: some people need to cleanse their ears and brains of all the shit that passes as music these days and maybe they'll realize that Back Spacer is nothing short of spectacular. Clean 'em out, fuckers! In a world of constant change it's nice to know that at least one thing hasn't changed. Pearl Jam is still the greatest fucking band on earth!

I was disappointed with Binaural and Riot Act when they first came out (I didn't post negative shit here though) and have grown to love both of those albums so I was going to force myself to listen to Backspacer and really let it sink in before I formed an opinion.

This is the first album since Yield that I loved immediately...there are still a few songs that I will skip but overall it is amazing....couldn't be happier

Unthought Known will be considered one of their best ever....beautiful song

A lot of these people will change their minds in a year or so
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    What I don't get is why all of you take it so personally if someone doesn't like the album, or a particular song

it's not your art, why the fuck are you taking this to heart, who gives a shit, if you like it, that's all that really matters

it's not the end of the world
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    bump
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    This is a record by men who are mature, happy, and in love, for the most part. They have families and have a much different outlook on life now and this record reflects that. They are firmly ensconced in mid-life and aren't going to sound like they did ten or even five years ago. They know the recording process like the back of their hands and had a great sounding board in Brendan O'Brien.
    The White Album sure did not sound like Meet The Beatles, but is was fantastic.
    They are still kicking ass live no matter what you think of Backspacer.
    All is well.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    [

well goody for you for being so *right*...do you want your gold star now? :roll:
    again, enjoy what you enjoy...and let others do the same. no need to "push" your OPINION as fact, b/c it isn't...no matter how many times you type it. beyond which, there are many, many "masterpieces" hanging in museums, lauded by film critics, music charts, etc.....and no matter what "label" one slaps on something, it does NOT mean it will hold true for everyone. we all *get* and enjoy, different things. so basically, you are complaining about negativity or disagreement, and yet...you don't offer any respect opinions outside your own? didn't realize this was simply an "i am right and any who disagree with me is wrong" thread, no wonder you needed to start another, your own, to make this announcement. ;)

carry on...

redrock wrote:

what red said.
    8-)

also, apparently for many if you do not agree it is an 'absolute masterpiece' you are therefore a hater, slagging on the album, etc, etc...instead of merely having your own, reasoned opinion that doesn't outright support the idea of 'masterpiece.'
    having a spot of fun. Lighten up, Francis.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    It's hard to put in words how great this album is, but just great!
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I liked the album just fine after a few listens. But after hearing just about every song live in Seattle, I have a new appreciation. It is on repeat on the iPod and I'm loving it. That's generally how I am with PJ and some other artists. I need to hear the songs on a new album live to fall in love with them. I'm always less impressed with an artist's studio work than I am with their live work. I am firmly in the BACKSPACER IS GREAT camp after the last 2 nights.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse
    of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • Options
    Backspacer is indeed GREAT!

I don't like comparing albums, but I wanna say that Backspacer is more solid from start to finish and better put together than most other PJ albums..

I pretty much like every song on this one and hearing on vinyl for the first time yesterday made it even better!

It IS to early to call anything a classic, but my gut is telling me that this album will get plenty of spins throughout the years!

I bow down to Backspacer and to Pearl Jam :mrgreen:

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018