Options

How did you first listen to Backspacer?

nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
edited September 2009 in The Porch
I'm traveling out West and picked up my copy in Montrose, CO. I spent the day touring
Black Canyon and must have listened to it 5 times, at least.

Great way to break in the new album.

What's your story?
EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    got home from a job interview that went extremely well and listened to it while sitting in my computer chair reading the lyrics.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    in the car, by myself, volume turned up and no interruptions from my kids...awesome!
    i can kill, coz in god i trust
  • Options
    It leaked when i woke up and had to be at work in half an hour.
    So I downloaded it, put it on my iPod and walked the long way to work to hear more of it.

This process made me 45 mins late for work. But i got to listen to it walking down the beach, on a day where I wasnt expecting anything exciting to happen...

P.S. Vinyl Pre-ordered. Still hasnt shipped I dont think..
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I listened to it on Thursday when the CD came, upstairs on my 3rd floor with no interruptions. Listened to it about 12 times since then as well. Can you tell I like it?
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    With my 2 year old son who danced around banging his head! His fav song is "got some"! Cant want to take him to his first show.
    Nov 06, 1995/Nov 07, 1995/Sep 16, 1996/Nov 15, 1997/Jul 10, 1998/Jul 11, 1998/Jul 13, 1998/Jul 14, 1998/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Aug 04, 2000/Nov 05, 2000/Dec 08, 2002/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 03, 2003/Jun 05, 2003/Jun 06, 2003/Jun 07, 2003/Sep 01, 2005/Jul 06, 2006/Jul 07, 2006/Jul 09, 2006/Jul 10, 2006/Sept 30th, 2009/April 15th, 2008 E.V./Oct 1st, 2009/Oct 6th, 2009/Oct 7th 2009/Oct 9th, 2009/July 5th, 2011 E.V/Sept 3rd PJ20/Sept 4th PJ20
  • Options
    First day it arrived (Friday) I put it in my home stereo and blasted it. Then, took it upstairs to another stereo and blasted it again. then, ripped it to my Zune and listened to it over headphones. Then, I listened to it in my laptop.

LOVE this album.
  • Options
    I listened to it with my wife played loud on the stereo drinking a bottle of red wine aw huh
  • Options
    downloaded off itunes on friday, told my beautiful wife i'll be available for husband and father duties in no less than 37 minutes, put the headphones on, shut my eyes, and got lost in the glory that is this ripper of an album!
    ... didn't open my eyes and sneakily pushed it out to twice through without her noticing ;)
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I got a copy saturday night during college football so i turned the tv down and the my ipod up on my home entertainment center and listened to it as loud as it would go :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    A lovely guy sent it to me one night last week.
    It was 9pm here in Italy. Let's just say that night I went to sleep at 2am.
    Looking forward to buying the CD and the vinyl as soon as I get to a record store :)

It truly is a masterpiece.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Waited until everyone left my dorm (took 2 days to have complete privacy), then it was just me and my speakers. Worth the wait to have absolutely no interruptions. After the first time through went right back to the beginning. It was awesome.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Got it Saturday and listened in my house all the way through even with everyone else home. Hey, it's only 37 minutes!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    threw it in my DVD player and cranked my surround sound in my living room.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Drove to visit a friend who had a copy on vinyl. Listened at his place. Took a break between sides to give Side A time to sink in while we ate. Then finished with Side B. My goodness... that drop-off in The End... haunting echo.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    It arrived on Friday, but I had to take my oldest to ER that night :shock: . My middle kept calling to say that it got there! He was so excited! He knew I was coming home after he went to bed and begged me not to open it until the next day. Of course I agreed.

So Saturday morning, after going to Rosh Hashanah services (BS is a great New Years present) my 2 boys (the oldest was much better the next day) and I took a car ride and listened to the whole thing twice. I asked after each song a review from them and each song was the best song ever :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    My first listening wasn't in a memorable place....but it was a memorable event.

I had been thinking, how can they make a complete album in 37mins? Are the boys just throwing together something to appease the masses, and really don't have their heart in it anymore?

I was soon proven wrong. What a complete album this is. All concept of time is removed as you're transported away to the land of PJ.

I'm in no way a music aficionado, but the (is it just me, or slightly Soundgarden styled) Gonna See My Friend hit me in the face, and that was the end of that.

The amazing rawness of "Just Breathe", and "The End" brings a really human, mortal side to a band we see as pure immortals. The pain of (as I read it) Ed having to leave his family behind while he records and tours, and also of how age and maturity has shown the mistakes of his past....all too late. Brings goose-bumps every time....

"Amongst the Waves" has an undeniable hook. One of the most uplifting PJ songs I have heard. Rising up out of all the shit in the World and finding yourself in a really happy, peaceful place. Oh, and you think the solo will rock live, STONE IS GONNA ROCK THIS THING LIKE A MO' FO'!!! I'm gonna be scared he snaps his neck with those heavy riffs.

"Unthought Known" has a great build up throughout the first half of the song, with Ed really punching out the lyrics. This'll be a concert favourite for sure. Boom will get his chance to rock out on the keys and show us what he's made of.

I've had the CD in my car since Friday. I can listen to it exactly 3 times on the round trip to work. I love the drive to work now - it's 45mins and a real pain in the a$$ when you work 12hr shifts.

I was really hesitant about what I was going to hear when I got this album, but I'm going to make the call and say that this is Pearl Jam's 2nd best album of all time. Until last Friday I was wishing for a "Lost Dogs" driven tour, but now I'm hanging out for this uplifting, inspiring album to be smashed to pieces in every capital city in Australia (except poor Darwin and those evil step-children of Tasmania)

Dream the dreams of other men,... You’ll be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    As I have done since Binaural: My best friend came over. We ordered a pizza and bought some beer. Popped in the new disc and listened to it 3 times. It's a ritual that I always look forward to.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I came home from work on Friday night and it had come in the mail. As much as I wanted to start blasting it, I had to wait a few hours. I took my wife out for dinner, came back, hung out with her for a little bit, then said, "well, I'm gonna go listen to the new PJ album in my car."

She gave me a strange look and said, "you're seriously going to sit in your car in the garage and play the album???"

"Yup."

"Very strange."

"Yup, but gotta do it, see you in about 37 minutes...pending repeat listens."

So, I went into the garage, got in the car, popped the cd in and started blasting it. I wasn't in love with the album the first time through. I listened to JG 2x, but it was late, so I went back inside and climbed into bed. She was surprised I was back so quick. "Yup, its a short album. It was okay."

I was so busy the rest of the weekend, I didn't get to play it again in full until Monday morning on my commute. Ah, this time, it clicked! Love the album now...