Options

Rick Rubin

tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
edited August 2008 in The Porch
Almost all he touches turns gold and after had seen that the last two PJ albums were average/good, should R. Rubin produce the next PJ album?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brenden O'Brien has a stronger track record, and is a better producer as far as I'm concerned.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i vote no rick.
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    this thread isn't about posters!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,948
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    I don't think Rubin+Pearl Jam provides a good equation. Can't wait to hear the magical "O'Brien" effect on the new album!

agreed
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    The combination of PJ & Brendan O´Brien is magic.
    I really like the work that Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash though.....
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    Brenden O'Brien has a stronger track record, and is a better producer as far as I'm concerned.

I just spit my orange juice all over my monitor, BOB is a great producer and probably better for PJ, Rubin probably wouldn't work well with PJ but he is still the best producer in the music industry today, hands down.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I just spit my orange juice all over my monitor, BOB is a great producer and probably better for PJ, Rubin probably wouldn't work well with PJ but he is still the best producer in the music industry today, hands down.

You better lick that juice up. Rubin is good yes, but I'm not a fan of some of his work...see Stadium Arcadium or Weezer's Make Believe...and my favorite produced album of all time is Rage's Evil Empire(produced by O'Brien). It's really based on opinion. There is no way to prove that Rubin is actually a better producer.

Rubin's best work, as far as I'm concerned, is Mars Volta's "Deloused In The Comatorium" but I think Omar had a lot of input on that one.

• Options
    You better lick that juice up. Rubin is good yes, but I'm not a fan of some of his work...see Stadium Arcadium or Weezer's Make Believe...and my favorite produced album of all time is Rage's Evil Empire(produced by O'Brien). It's really based on opinion. There is no way to prove that Rubin is actually a better producer.

Rubin's best work, as far as I'm concerned, is Mars Volta's "Deloused In The Comatorium" but I think Omar had a lot of input on that one.

Yeah but O Brien produced Significant Other by Limp Bizkit after Rubin told durst to fuck off, thats like taking Rubins sloppy seconds.

Highlights

Rubin: Licensed to Ill, Reign in Blood, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Wildflowers, American Recordings 4 and 5,De Loused in the Comatorium,Toxicity, Slipknot Vol 3, Death Magnetic.

O Brien: VS, Vitalogy, Evil empire, Purple, A Crow Left of the Murder, Mirrorball.

I don't know I think Rubin is gold and he does every different type of music , O Brien has sort of pigeonholed himself with grungy rock bands, the only good records he produces are bands you know are going record good records anyways. That being said I'm looking forward to O briens work on the new PJ and the new mastodon but there is a reason bands have to put there records on hold for like 2 years to get Rubin lined up, because everyone wants him
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Yeah but O Brien produced Significant Other by Limp Bizkit after Rubin told durst to fuck off, thats like taking Rubins sloppy seconds.

Highlights

Rubin: Licensed to Ill, Reign in Blood, Blood Sugar Sex Magic, Wildflowers, American Recordings 4 and 5,De Loused in the Comatorium,Toxicity, Slipknot Vol 3, Death Magnetic.

O Brien: VS, Vitalogy, Evil empire, Purple, A Crow Left of the Murder, Mirrorball.

I don't know I think Rubin is gold and he does every different type of music , O Brien has sort of pigeonholed himself with grungy rock bands, the only good records he produces are bands you know are going record good records anyways. That being said I'm looking forward to O briens work on the new PJ and the new mastodon but there is a reason bands have to put there records on hold for like 2 years to get Rubin lined up, because everyone wants him

How is Death Magnetic a highlight? The album isn't even out yet.

• Options
    How is Death Magnetic a highlight? The album isn't even out yet.

because its gonna save Metallicas career and after hearing 3 songs off it, it is better then anything they have done in 15 years.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    because its gonna save Metallicas career and after hearing 3 songs off it, it is better then anything they have done in 15 years.

Funny...both songs I've heard odd it were awful. And Lars' drums sound HORRIBLE.

But good job judging an album after three songs!

• Options
    i think it would do no harm to change producers at this point in pj career. last album was good and had some splendid moments but not quite a stellar release..
    www.paulbrowneart.co.uk : portfolio of an oil painter
  • Options
    Funny...both songs I've heard odd it were awful. And Lars' drums sound HORRIBLE.

But good job judging an album after three songs!

Lars drums do sound terrible, but he is old and cant keep up anymore, the production does a pretty good job of masking them, im not saying its epic or the greatest album ever, and i didnt judges the whole album, notice i clearly said BASED ON THE 3 SONGS I HAVE HEARD, NOT BASED ON THE WHOLE ALBUM, IT IS BETTER THAN ANYTHING THEY HAVE DONE IN 15 YEARS, just so youre perfectly clear, guaranteed though it is a return to form for them, everything rubin touches is gold, he is a visionary, the same can't be said for BOB, hes just a really really really great producer.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    I never thought of your proposal before. Rick is a good producer BUT given his track record etc...would the possibility of PJ using rubin be considered "jumping the shark"?

Discuss among yourself...
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 68
    they're both amazing producers...and obrien is a rubin disciple...
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    lets not forget how lame metallica is.........they have a song on the new album called unforgiven III.

WHat a fucken joke.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    kev wrote:
    they're both amazing producers...and obrien is a rubin disciple...
    Indeed, Brendan learned alot from Rick simply by working with him on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. O'Brien is credited as Engineer. What I would LOVE to see is the same thing Rubin/PJ producing and O'Brien engineering, lol
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    Indeed, Brendan learned alot from Rick simply by working with him on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. O'Brien is credited as Engineer. What I would LOVE to see is the same thing Rubin/PJ producing and O'Brien engineering, lol

No only that, O Brien built his name on Pearl Jam and Rage, both of which he got the opportunity to do being a Rubin disciple.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    No only that, O Brien built his name on Pearl Jam and Rage, both of which he got the opportunity to do being a Rubin disciple.
    Let's not forget Stone Temple Pilots
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    Love the way you all just accept the assessment that the last two albums were average/good. Clean the shit out of your ears.

It's the height of conceit, at best, for anyone on this board to think they can tell PJ how to make music -- bet a lot of you think you could pitch in the major leagues because you watch the games.

Don't forget, Rubin bombed big time working with U2 -- you may not like U2 and think it was their fault, but who can take that seriously when you set up fucking METALLICA like they are some sort of gold standard -- the only thing they ever proved was that in hell, the drummer NEVER stops talking!
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    MrsOakley wrote:
    Love the way you all just accept the assessment that the last two albums were average/good. Clean the shit out of your ears.

It's the height of conceit, at best, for anyone on this board to think they can tell PJ how to make music -- bet a lot of you think you could pitch in the major leagues because you watch the games.

Don't forget, Rubin bombed big time working with U2 -- you may not like U2 and think it was their fault, but who can take that seriously when you set up fucking METALLICA like they are some sort of gold standard -- the only thing they ever proved was that in hell, the drummer NEVER stops talking!
    That's what happens when Bono asks someone for input but can't let his ego deflate enough to actually take it. Johnny Cash released Gold with rubin, so has EVERY other artist who worked with him and did it the way he said to. That's the real litmus, have Metallica given up enough control to actually release something decent
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I've always considered BOB the unofficial 6th member (excluding BOOM).

Hell...he even knew when he'd created his masterpiece...he simply couldn't top YIELD, so he passed off producing duties to Tchad Blake and Adam Kasper. ;)

It will be interesting to see how they collaborate again.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

I forgot about this quote, BOB was responsible for "arguably" PJ's best album ever...Yield will continue to be a masterpiece, Rubin's sound IMO would not jive w/PJ, I can see him taking the band away from the vibe/sound they are trying to get on this next session...don't get me wrong, I love Wildflowers, Blood Sugar, Licensed to Ill, etc, but BOB is the man for the job, hands down

thx PBM for reminding me of that qte from SVT
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540

Highlights

How can you call Death Magnetic a highlight of Rubin's if it isn't released yet?!?!?!?!? The single i heard has an awful mix with this intolerable snare drum drowning everything out, weak guitars and no real deep punch. The clips from the rest of the album sound exactly the same.

Anyway sorry i just took issue with that mention the rest are good, but O'Brain did Evil Empire and that is just one of the best sounding record of the nineties without doubt.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    wma11 wrote:

thx PBM for reminding me of that qte from SVT

I keep the YIELD light burning around here.

;)

PBM

• Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    I keep the YIELD light burning around here.

;)

PBM

We.....
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    We.....

I stand corrected.

PBM

• Options
    YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,840
    I stand corrected.

PBM

"We were inverted."
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    As far as career highlights, I think B O'B doing Springsteen's "The Rising" sorta trumps anything Metallica will ever do in their very lame career.

A vote for Brendan.

Cheers
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    Rick Rubin compresses everything, which generally makes the music sound like shit! There won't be any dynamics (quiet parts, loud parts, etc.), and dynamics are essential to Pearl Jam songs, in my opinion.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.