Options

When did you become a fan?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    First heard of them November 1992. Full on fanatic March 1993. Ten Club member since September 1993. This is actually one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. I never had a relationship that long. Who knew?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    krymsin wrote:
    All these stories -- especially this one ...
    Policeman wrote:
    ... If the music makes you happy no matter what is going on, if you smile or get excited every time you hear a rare song, if you refuse to turn off the car while a Pearl Jam song is on the Radio then you like myself are part of the Pearl Jam family.

... are fan-fuckin'-tastic.

None of my friends love this band as much, or in the same ways as, i do.

All you guys are validating my obsession -- and i need more.

;)

i do this every fucking morning - waiting in the car for the song to finish. but that's because i've talked myself into thinking that if i turn a song off mid-song i'm jinxing it. i drove around the block on my way home from work a couple of weeks ago so i wouldn't jinx Black.

i need to hear it live.
  • Options
    I_Am_Mike wrote:
    saw an un-named band open up for Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins in State College, PA 1992. i thought they blew the headliners away. bought the cd right away and started spreading the word!

Saw them at the Palumbo Center in October 1991- must have been the same tour for the Peppers - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Majik . Incredible night, as the Pumpkins got booed off the stage, Corgan sulked, and seats were literally torn out before the RHCP even played.. Pearl Jam blew me and most of the crowd away with their energy and intensity in it's 45 minutes that I almost didn't care if anyone else played. They were all everyone was talking about after the show. Only other opening act to ever do that was seeing Fleetwood Mac right after Buckingham-Nicks joined them open for the Jefferson Airplane in the early 70's . It's nice to meet another "lifer" so to speak, although I know a few people who were into PJ from the Seattle scene before that. I've been to State College to see them too, just can't remember the year.

curious, where is the Palumbo Center? yes, it was definitely the same tour and i just re-checked the date and had it wrong. it was 1/17/91. wow, corgan was making friends all over the place! he also got booed in state college. his reply was something like "you're just pissed because we're going to f#*k your girlfriends tonight". what a douche he was back then, though i still liked their music. actually gish was the main reason i was there. still my favorite pumpkins cd..so dark and moody.

yes, nice to meet you. it's been almost half a lifetime of this addiction. the great thing about this addiction is there is a support group but absolutely no tangible need to quit.
  • Options
    i guess i was kind of a late bloomer (but its not my fault, i was born late! :D ) i became a fan in 1999, i was in high school at the time. i saw them live for the first time on the binaural tour and the rest is history. theyve been my favorite band ever since!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    summer 98!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    sophomore year in the middle of nowhere camping and drinking. Someone has a stereo in the back of there truck volume turned all the way to eleven. TEN is echoing through out all of north idaho. I am trying to sleep, but can't get over the idea of how cool this album is this loud. The smell of beer, pine and liz claiborne are enough for pure bliss. 2:00 am most of all the drunk classmates are passed out i get out of my tent to find the truck that this music is coming from. Its a toyota of course with two huge speakers in the back and i find the track why go and play it again and the whole camp cheers. crazy wierd! I have been a fan ever since.
    myspace.com/patricksmark
  • Options
    first was the week ten came out- and over the course of that summer i wore out 2 cassettes, buying a 3rd and eventually it on cd. wasnt as big a fan of vs and vitalogy just turned me off completely, at the time. fast forward 10 years i'm working some lonely crap job on wall st and i walk into J&R records, walk the aisles over and over and then bam! yield pops off the shelf and says buy me. so it saves my life. 2 weeks later i go back and do the same thing walkin the aisles and bam! no code yells out buy me...saves my life once again..rest is history. i love every album with vs and ten being my least played albums. ten probably cause i overplayed it.
  • Options
    It was the fall of 7th grade for me. 1993. Vs. was just out but i didnt buy it. i intentionally bought ten first even though vs. was the #1 record in the world that same week because i knew i needed to start from the beginning. Everything hit home. It was everything that I grew up with, musically, that I loved and it had content that was totally relevant to my life at that time. It was all over for me by the end of that year. Next came Vitalogy, then Mirror Ball that next summer. I had been a casual Neil Young fan up to that point but I was now fully converted.

In 1996 I attended my first Pearl Jam concert in Toledo, Ohio at Savage Hall. The seats were terrible...almost as terrible as the arena itself. But the show was amazing and I, even at 15, loved the politics. ***Seemingly separate side note*** I am still a commie-pinko-liberal to this day.

Anyway, you all know the rest of the story and you've all been a part of it.

Peace, Love and Pearl Jam!
    Toledo '96, Cleveland '98, Columbus '00, Cleveland '03, Toledo '04
    Washington D.C. '04, London '05,Hamilton '05,Grand Rapids '06,
    Cleveland '06, Detroit '06,Pittsburgh '06,Cincinnati '06,Chicago '07
    NYC '08, NYC '08, Chicago '09, Chicago '09, ACL '09, Columbus 2010, Noblesville 2010, Cleveland 2010, Buffalo 2010.
  • Options
    1993 I was 23. Every year my friends and I would go to Sunfest in Gimli Manitoba. That year it was announced that Pearl Jam was headlining. Everyone was super excited. I knew of Alive Even Flow and Jeremy but wouldn't say I was a fan at that point. That concert changed everything but I didn't realize it in the moment. It was an intense show and as many know it is called Mudfest and it was a freaking mess.
    The next day after the Sunday concerts ended I met a girl who got a chance to meet Ed at a football game the day before the show. She was so excited and passionate about the band. Later the stage crew was tearing down and they were listening to Ten on the PA. I see the same girl (no clue what her name was) off in the middle of the campground singing Black at the top of her lungs. She was so into it. Something clicked in me at that moment. This music moved this person so much. I wanted to listen and learn more about Pearl Jam. As soon as I got home I bought Ten and was hooked.
    It wasn't until 2005 when I saw them again in Calgary and that took everything to a whole new level. It's been 10 shows now and counting and I become a bigger fan each day. Who knew it was possible!
  • Options
    I_Am_Mike wrote:
    I_Am_Mike wrote:
    saw an un-named band open up for Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins in State College, PA 1992. i thought they blew the headliners away. bought the cd right away and started spreading the word!

Saw them at the Palumbo Center in October 1991- must have been the same tour for the Peppers - Blood, Sugar, Sex, Majik . Incredible night, as the Pumpkins got booed off the stage, Corgan sulked, and seats were literally torn out before the RHCP even played.. Pearl Jam blew me and most of the crowd away with their energy and intensity in it's 45 minutes that I almost didn't care if anyone else played. They were all everyone was talking about after the show. Only other opening act to ever do that was seeing Fleetwood Mac right after Buckingham-Nicks joined them open for the Jefferson Airplane in the early 70's . It's nice to meet another "lifer" so to speak, although I know a few people who were into PJ from the Seattle scene before that. I've been to State College to see them too, just can't remember the year.

curious, where is the Palumbo Center? yes, it was definitely the same tour and i just re-checked the date and had it wrong. it was 1/17/91. wow, corgan was making friends all over the place! he also got booed in state college. his reply was something like "you're just pissed because we're going to f#*k your girlfriends tonight". what a douche he was back then, though i still liked their music. actually gish was the main reason i was there. still my favorite pumpkins cd..so dark and moody.

yes, nice to meet you. it's been almost half a lifetime of this addiction. the great thing about this addiction is there is a support group but absolutely no tangible need to quit.

It's at the Dusquesne University in Pittsburgh. Crazy show where Corgan was being a total asshole and people got pissed and told him to shut up and sang which started him on a tirade. Then the audience went nuts, ripping out seats, throwing stuff, and booing. They would not stop until he gave up and finally walked offstage and everyone started cheering. Think he was pissed because everyone LOVED Pearl Jam and get yelling for them to come back. Even the RHCP, whom I also love, weren't as good that night IMO. I have seen them at about every show they've played in the Pittsbirgh area since then plus a good many at different cities across the States. If you are hitting Philly on the 30th and 31st, please stop by the pre-parties and say hello. I would love to meet another old timer to swap stories with, LOL! This is a great addiction but I hate to see what I've spent since then on tickets, shirts, travel, and other merchandise.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

• Options
    Jerm wrote:
    Im a junior in high school now. Around 2002 I was in the 6th grade I heard Alive and Even Flow on the radio and something hit me like a fist to the jaw. I purchased Ten and listened to the whole thing over and over again during the summer everyday I listened to Ten. Then I started buying their albums sometime after 6th and now I have them all. Now Im a hardcore Pearl Jam fan.

Very nice! Wish I was your age again! At 17, ironically, I was listening to Nirvana,AIC, and Rage... but no PJ!! How did I miss PJ???
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Can't pinpoint the exact moment, but it was 1993/1994 while a freshman/sophomore at the University of Massachusetts.

Played out Ten and V's on the stereo and radio, and television.

I have journals from back then. I hope that I can find some evidence of my growing love of this band in there.

In 1995 I saw my first show in San Diego and I have a skydiving video with 'Alive' as my jump song from that same year.
  • Options
    blindmuleblindmule Albany, NY Posts: 138
    It was 1992, I was 11 years old and I saw the EVENFLOW video on MTV.
    My life was forever changed!

I was always a bigger Nirvana fan when I was younger - but Pearl Jam has grown with me over the years whereas Nirvana hit such a sadly abrupt halt.

My musical tastes have changed as I have grown - I would count my favorite bands now as Gov't Mule, The Grateful Dead, Derek Trucks Band, Pearl Jam, etc - in High school I would have said Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NIN - but where I have left alot of that behind me Pearl Jam is still a constant in my daily life.

It's nice to have a band that I feel like has progressed through the years along with me.

When I was 15 I probably wouldn't have appreciated "Into the Wild" like I do now - in the same way that I didn't appreciate the simple beauty of Richie Havens or the Grateful Dead's "Workingmans Dead" now...
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    1993/1994 -- saw them first time when I was 15.5 years old in 1995
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    been a fan since 10 but been fanatically obsessed since 98 (since i was earning money!!!)...
  • Options
    just after the binaural tour, my brother went to the manchester gig and i listened to the boot of that show, it got me hooked. I was about 14 / 15.
  • Options
    1991. Alive. I became the "weird" one at high school for listening to music that wasn't the lame euro-dance crap that was just starting to come out at the time.
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011