Edmonton Oilers 2009-2010

Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Well g'day folks, y'all remember my old EO thread, want to start it again. What are your thoughts on the team this year? Beat the Flames last night 4-1, new Coaches (Quinn and Renney). I think it looks good. Hoping cogs, hemmer and comrie bust it out this year :D What are your thought on Mac T as the new TSN commentator, I think thats kinda cool actually
>>>>
>
...a lover and a fighter.
"I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacT was always better at soundbytes than coaching IMO, that's how he kept his job so long - he can talk a good game....so ya, that's a good fit.
    I'm still on the fence with Comrie....who will go to make room? I like Terry Jones' point: we went over the cap (didn't know that! wow) by adding a small forward who can't win faceoffs or kill penalties, to a team that is already FULL of them.
    If he shits the bed, or worse - has a good year and won't resign again....will he make it out of Edmonton alive?
  • you raise some excellent points my friend, didnt know Comrie put us over the cap...hhmmmm, that little chucksy
    >>>>
    >

• 3-2 pre-season win against the Isle last night :)
    >>>>
    >

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    you all going to suck it up and cheer for Comrie eh
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    you all going to suck it up and cheer for Comrie eh
    believe me, I'd rather not....don't have much choice. If he doesn't play well, he will continue to get boo'd every time he touches the puck - just like he has been every game since he left.
    I really don't get the point of picking him up.....is it just to make it look like we are trying to improve the team since no other FA's will sign with us? The Terry Jones article I mentioned said that both Tambellini and Lowe were asked if it was a move pushed on them by Katz and supposedly they both dodged the question....I'm sure Katz and Bill Comrie (Mike's dad - the Brick founder) are good buds...
  • You damn rights Im going to cheer for him (kinda have no choice and even if I did, I would still cheer for him). He's an Oiler now and why not give him some support...hopefully it will transfer to confidence and 30+ goals. If he turns out to be shit, maybe I'll, boo but we will have to wait and see. Plus, you have to give him some credit, coming back to a team where he knows he is going to be under the microscope and likely receive some boos, at least he WANTS to play here, was raised here and understands the culture of hockey in this city. The last time I started a thread like this, we went all the way :D
    >>>>
    >

• You damn rights Im going to cheer for him (kinda have no choice and even if I did, I would still cheer for him). He's an Oiler now and why not give him some support...hopefully it will transfer to confidence and 30+ goals. If he turns out to be shit, maybe I'll, boo but we will have to wait and see. Plus, you have to give him some credit, coming back to a team where he knows he is going to be under the microscope and likely receive some boos, at least he WANTS to play here, was raised here and understands the culture of hockey in this city. The last time I started a thread like this, we went all the way :D
    ALMOST all the way :( I was disappointed to see that thread was gone until I thought of that...we don't need to relive anything - we need another good run! I'm excited about our prospects with Quinn and Renney in town.

I'll give Comrie credit if he scores 30+ goals....I think he'd probably rather play elsewhere, but no one else will give him a shot...he's a free agent and was getting zero interest. he's a former 30+ goal scorer, still young, and we got him for around the league average...that says something about his rep if you ask me...
    I think the only reason he's here is cause Katz wanted him here...
    I think he signed because he saw the writing on the wall - if he missed camp and part of the year waiting for someone to make an offer, he'd probably have a slow start and a bad year...which could have essentially ended his NHL career at this point.
    But who knows, the Oil were, at one time, famous for their reclamation projects....don't get me wrong...I (grudgingly) want to see him succeed.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Quinn
    Renney
    Tambelini

WTF to use a Averyism sounds like the Canucks sloopy seconds!

Hey Cree you coming for the Vancouver show next week?
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Hawkshore wrote:
    Quinn
    Renney
    Tambelini

WTF to use a Averyism sounds like the Canucks sloopy seconds!

Hey Cree you coming for the Vancouver show next week?
    I like the fit. Quinn's a good coach - veteran coach that likes workin with young players...offensive minded, it silences the 'old boys club' critique...Quinn's still hungry, cause you know...he never did get that cup ;)
    Renney is a solid assistant (former head, of course)....Tambelini is in training (probably still a yes man to Lowe and Katz)....I like our office this year...hopefully they can put something together on-ice...and if Katz is tampering, it doesn't backfire.

Comrie with four assists and a fight last night?
    Saying all the right things...??
    Paper said the crowd chanted his name after the scrap? hmmmm
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    smarchee wrote:
    I really don't get the point of picking him up.....is it just to make it look like we are trying to improve the team since no other FA's will sign with us? .
    You picked him up because you need another under-sized forward. ;)
    Really, I don't get excited about the Oil up front. As usual, they need "breakout" years from almost everyone. O'Sullivan is an intriguing one to me.
    On the other hand, the D IS something to crow about. Tom Gilbert is quietly getting very Duncan Keith-esque. He's high on my fantasy list, and I think I can steal him in a mid-late round. Lots of offense between him, Lubo and Souray.
  • pretext wrote:
    You picked him up because you need another under-sized forward. ;)
    ....who can't kill penalties or win faceoffs ;)
    pretext wrote:
    Really, I don't get excited about the Oil up front. As usual, they need "breakout" years from almost everyone.
    ain't that the truth! We are the perpetually developing team...we've been looking for breakout years from young players for what? 18 years now? It's the same every year...."If _______ can have a big year, ______ can keep up what he was doing at the end of last year, and ______, _______, and _______ don't shit the bed again, we COULD be a good team" :roll:

But ya, our D is looking pretty solid. Don't forget Grebs and Smid....still have Staios, Strudwick looking for spots. No secret one of the offensive guys will be moved for a scoring forward. Let's hope Khabibulin can still play!
  • Well needless to say the rookies are showing way more "BATTLE FACTOR" (thanks for that stupid comment Louise DeBrusk) than the veterans.

I was at the Flames/Oilers game back in Calgary and have since watched each game on-line. Minus Comrie, POS, and the defensive crew; the rest of the veterans have looked like junk (ala 07/08 Oilers). Actually Penner has looked decent. The rest I am not impressed with at all. Making the same lazy mistakes and showing ZERO GRIT. Not including Habby as he ahs played one easy game with a SO, so he is excluded as well.

Eberle has looked fantastic and is making it tough on Pumpkinhead (aka Pat Quinn) to keep him or send him to a HORRIBLE Regina Pats team. JDD will be the back-up goaltender I believe as well.

As Pumpkinhead mentioned we have a tonne of bad habits that will take time to get out. Also please let's drop Nilsson already sick of his uninspired play.

I think the Oilers have an outside chance of the play-offs depending if they can overcome the teaching and learnings of MacT early.

Will be at the season opener on October 3rd at Rexall against the Flames so I am hoping we beat them because I am sick if hearing how great they are fromt he local media.
  • Well needless to say the rookies are showing way more "BATTLE FACTOR" (thanks for that stupid comment Louise DeBrusk) than the veterans.

I was at the Flames/Oilers game back in Calgary and have since watched each game on-line. Minus Comrie, POS, and the defensive crew; the rest of the veterans have looked like junk (ala 07/08 Oilers). Actually Penner has looked decent. The rest I am not impressed with at all. Making the same lazy mistakes and showing ZERO GRIT. Not including Habby as he ahs played one easy game with a SO, so he is excluded as well.

Eberle has looked fantastic and is making it tough on Pumpkinhead (aka Pat Quinn) to keep him or send him to a HORRIBLE Regina Pats team. JDD will be the back-up goaltender I believe as well.

As Pumpkinhead mentioned we have a tonne of bad habits that will take time to get out. Also please let's drop Nilsson already sick of his uninspired play.

I think the Oilers have an outside chance of the play-offs depending if they can overcome the teaching and learnings of MacT early.

Will be at the season opener on October 3rd at Rexall against the Flames so I am hoping we beat them because I am sick if hearing how great they are fromt he local media.
    thought for a moment you were calling Comrie a piece of shit....man, poor Patty, that's not a great acronym is it?
    Haven't seen any games yet, but I'm glad to hear Eberle is impressing :)

thought for a moment you were calling Comrie a piece of shit....man, poor Patty, that's not a great acronym is it?
    Haven't seen any games yet, but I'm glad to hear Eberle is impressing :)

Yeah Patrick O'Sullivan leads to a horrible POS nickname...lol....I loved the Comrie signing for two reasons. One will break the myth about Edmonton being horrible (as arguebly he is the most hated ex-Oiler of all time) and two he came back for redemption which to me is a huge factor of improving your game, AKA he has something to prove.

Watched his first game back at Rexall and the guys gets partially boo'd as he touches the puck ends up potting four points and gets into a tilt and has the entire arena on their feet chanting his name....man only Edmonton...lol.

Also who would just love to see that POS (the usual POS meaning) Theo Fleury play against the Oil and get devastated into the boards by McIntrye? in Calgary here you would think Fleury was Crosby going into first year, people calling him getting 30+ goals and all this. Man Calgarians are the ultimate delusional fans......
  • Oh yeah about Eberle....hands down the best Oiler last night in Saskatoon (By a mile which is not a good thing) and he was the second best player against Vancouver a couple nights ago.

Smid has also looked really good averaging 22-24 minutes a game off ice-time.

Souray is his usualy beastly self...broke two panes of glass in Edmonton a few nights ago with errant shots...not one but two in a single period...lol.

• Yeah Patrick O'Sullivan leads to a horrible POS nickname...lol....I loved the Comrie signing for two reasons. One will break the myth about Edmonton being horrible (as arguebly he is the most hated ex-Oiler of all time) and two he came back for redemption which to me is a huge factor of improving your game, AKA he has something to prove.

Watched his first game back at Rexall and the guys gets partially boo'd as he touches the puck ends up potting four points and gets into a tilt and has the entire arena on their feet chanting his name....man only Edmonton...lol.

Also who would just love to see that POS (the usual POS meaning) Theo Fleury play against the Oil and get devastated into the boards by McIntrye? in Calgary here you would think Fleury was Crosby going into first year, people calling him getting 30+ goals and all this. Man Calgarians are the ultimate delusional fans......
    :lol: ya, i like our chances with Comrie better than with the Flames' with Fleury...
    As for your points about Comrie - totally agree on the redemption angle....not sure if it proves much about playing in Edmonton tho. IMO, like i said earlier in the thread - no one else wanted him and missing camp/start of the season could have been devastating to his career. Seems to me like we're having trouble finding FA's again....so both Comrie and the Oilers could be heroes or goats...time will tell. I'm def glad that MacT is gone, and we've got the old guy hammerin on Comrie, that should help. Will also likely help that Salo and his wife aren't here anymore (that rumour still has legs - from what I hear from those 'in the know'...it's the truth).

Sounds like Souray has to work on his aim ;)

• :lol: ya, i like our chances with Comrie better than with the Flames' with Fleury...
    As for your points about Comrie - totally agree on the redemption angle....not sure if it proves much about playing in Edmonton tho. IMO, like i said earlier in the thread - no one else wanted him and missing camp/start of the season could have been devastating to his career. Seems to me like we're having trouble finding FA's again....so both Comrie and the Oilers could be heroes or goats...time will tell. I'm def glad that MacT is gone, and we've got the old guy hammerin on Comrie, that should help. Will also likely help that Salo and his wife aren't here anymore (that rumour still has legs - from what I hear from those 'in the know'...it's the truth).

Sounds like Souray has to work on his aim ;)

Souray looks like a beast (more than ever) out there, by far my favourite Oiler right now.

I wonder if Hiliary Duff gave Comrie the thumbs up to play with Edmonton...must have if he signed...maybe Gagner/Cogliano will deal Comrie the ultimate karma...lol I kid.

From what I read Horcoff/Moreau/Hemsky were vouching very hard for a Comrie signing as they are close friends. As for the Salo rumour I have no idea but Comrie has stated in an interview that anyone could could go ask Ryan Smyth (who he acknowledges as the guy who supposly punched him over the incident), Horcoff, and others that it was all untrue. Who really knows or cares I guess.

I would not be surprised to see a veteran (or two) not make the opening night line-up. Needless to say they will be a better team just because of the improvement in coaching.
  • hmmm...I remember Comrie denying it, but didn't know about the Smyth punch rumour. I don't really care at all, just want to be sure Comrie remembers what the fishbowl is like ;)
    Yup, looking at the d lineup, there should be a vet sitting to open the season - that's a good thing!
  • it was nice beating vancouver, cant stand them.
    >>>>
    >

• Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    well, a few games in. I am liking it though, I even like the fine against Quinn. Shows gumption if you ask me.
    >>>>
    >

Oil over Van 2-3....shaweeet! Exciting right to the buzzer|E :ugeek:
    >>>>
    >

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Oil over Van 2-3....shaweeet! Exciting right to the buzzer|E :ugeek:
    I'd prefer it not be so exciting at the buzzer every game, sheeeeesh.
    a come from behind win against columbus on thursday (they were down 4-1) to win it 6-4, The Penner line was on the ice for every goal I think, Penner and Hensky had 5 pts each....sweeeeeeet lordy :D
    Flames tonight
    >>>>
    >

• Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • RoughMixRoughMix Posts: 385
    What a collapse last night.
    Two times up by 4 goals. :shock:
    If only Detroit could have pulled off the win. :(
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • I am feling rather shamefull for even starting this thread :oops:
    >>>>
    >

No one could have foreseen this, Cree....
    Sure...coaching and goaltending were our only (arguable) improvements roster-wise over last year....
    But, to a man, the whole team has disappointed this year.
    I don't see a single bright spot, personally. Other than a Hall / Eberle duo on the horizon....plus...I think we should package Souray (if we can get him healthy) for Toronto's 1st pick (think Boston has it).
    Then again...I'm worried that if we get Hall, Eberle, and another top prospect...our organization will ruin them all :(
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    ladies and gentlemen

the # 1 pick in the 2010 draft is to the Edmonton Oliers
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    :roll:
    Khabibhulin just got a DUI....what a fucking train wreck of a season!
  • :roll:
    Khabibhulin just got a DUI....what a fucking train wreck of a season!

Could it get any worse for us? :oops: Seriously I went to the last game they played here in Calgary and I joked that perhaps I should start cheering for the Leafs :o :oops: