Options

Pearl Jam VH1 ROCK HONORS WHO

CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Was it me or was PJ the only band that did justice for the WHO??? I mean com on I don even think FF practiced?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    Music Videos only available in the US...AARRGGGHHHH.....we're not that far away here in the great white north.
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    Was it me or was PJ the only band that did justice for the WHO??? I mean com on I don even think FF practiced?

Those other bands are just average or good rock bands. The Who and Pearl Jam are 2 of the all-time greatest rock bands to exist, so they will always blow other bands off the stage. It wasn't a competition but if it were, Ed and the guys would have been holding up the throphy. There is no match at this time in history for them.
  • Options
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Those other bands are just average or good rock bands. The Who and Pearl Jam are 2 of the all-time greatest rock bands to exist, so they will always blow other bands off the stage. It wasn't a competition but if it were, Ed and the guys would have been holding up the throphy. There is no match at this time in history for them.
    Well said.. I couldnt agree more.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    PJAMEDVED wrote:

Totally agree! (holding #1 finger in the air)

Everyone else is just playing for second place.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    WHat will happen when PJ gets honored Sh*T whos gonna play for them...LOL

THE D>>>>
  • Options
    After this airs better make sure you keep you fanclub memeberships update cause I smell new fans and you would want to lose your great number.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Real Me kicked some major ass!

one thing i disagree with you guys on is that Incubus is not an average rock band, they are pretty damn good
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    PJAMEDVED wrote:

Definitely!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Flaming Lips are fucking legends.

Howeverm PJ do some wicked WHO covers and that's hard to top.
    They say I'm rappin like BIG, jay, and tupac
    Andre 3000 where is eryka badu at
    Who dat
    Who dat said dey gon beat lil wayne
    My name ain't Bic but I keep dat flame man

2008 CHICAGO CUBS MAGIC NUMBER = 62

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    pjalive21 wrote:
    Real Me kicked some major ass!

one thing i disagree with you guys on is that Incubus is not an average rock band, they are pretty damn good

I aaaagreeee. Rogues is one of my all time favorite songs ever in the history of the world times ten. :) And shit, Brandon can sing.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    alexers wrote:
    I aaaagreeee. Rogues is one of my all time favorite songs ever in the history of the world times ten. :) And shit, Brandon can sing.
    oh he can sing... he just sounds like shit singing who songs... im listening to it right now... its not a good fit

and is there any footage of the lips live performance yet? i dont see it on the VH1 site... and i LOVED that clip of them rehearsing... i think they definitely do the who justice... moreso than PJ even when it comes to the energy and wackyness of their stage... its straight out of "tommy"

cant wait to watch the whole thing tomorrow!!!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    alexersalexers Posts: 492
    sgossard3 wrote:
    oh he can sing... he just sounds like shit singing who songs... im listening to it right now... its not a good fit

and is there any footage of the lips live performance yet? i dont see it on the VH1 site... and i LOVED that clip of them rehearsing... i think they definitely do the who justice... moreso than PJ even when it comes to the energy and wackyness of their stage... its straight out of "tommy"

cant wait to watch the whole thing tomorrow!!!

Haven't seen Brandon sing the Who yet, but you could be right! I kinda see where you're going with that!
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Cupofjoe wrote:
    After this airs better make sure you keep you fanclub memeberships update cause I smell new fans and you would want to lose your great number.
    I heard a lot of people after the show saying that now they wanted to see a PJ show.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Incubus and FF's yeah they are average but the flaming lips are seriously an incredible band... but PJ cover anything superbly.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Cupofjoe wrote:

I think everyone did a great job. But PEARL JAM......well, theres no denying they were the SH*T!!! :cool:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I don't agree that Incubus and the Foos are average bands, especially if you've ever seen Incubus live, they're amazing. Okay not in PJ's league but lets face it not many are for us on here. I've read some positive reviews of Incubus' performance at this gig, certainly more positive than the rest, obviously not including PJ and the Who themselves.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    MINDWIREUK wrote:
    I don't agree that Incubus and the Foos are average bands, especially if you've ever seen Incubus live, they're amazing. Okay not in PJ's league but lets face it not many are for us on here. I've read some positive reviews of Incubus' performance at this gig, certainly more positive than the rest, obviously not including PJ and the Who themselves.

Incubus and the foos ARE great. Brandons got a voice like no other. He couldve wore somn a little bit more.....presentable but whatever! And Dave is just a good ol friendly rockstar!!! ALL the bands were good.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    MINDWIREUK wrote:

I saw Incubus live last year for the first time, and it was amazing. They played the Festival Pier in Philly. PJ could not play there as it's a bit small. Incubus was quite good, though. Very energetic and sounded very tight. I would definitely recommend checking them out sometime. For one of their previous tours they pulled a page from PJ's book and released official bootlegs.
    For Rent
  • Options
    keithjamkeithjam Posts: 38
    I thought Incubus did an excellent job with "I Can See for Miles". But Brandon definitely needs a wardrobe consultant and a cheeseburger. Dave Grohl has bronchitis so I give the Foo's a pass. I love the Flaming lips (they produce some of the greatest beats) but Wayne's voice live has declined in the past couple years.

And I have to say that Roger's voice is terrible compared to 20 years ago. Years of screaming have killed his throat. He now sounds terrible live. Lots of squeaking and cracking in Roger’s voice. Some people keep there voice Neil Young, David Crosby, Paul McCartney while others loose it Roger, Stills, Nash
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    It's almost as if Neil Young and The Who got married and had a kid called Pearl Jam...

They are definately in a leauge of their own these days. Pearl Jam are not only one of the best live bands around today...but ever.

They along with The Who in their hayday are in a rare catagory that includes very few.

As for their performance on VH1

There can never be any doubt that there is nobody better suited to sing The Who (other than Roger Daltry) than Eddie Vedder. I mean..The man litterly lived and breathed Quadrophenia as a kid. It should be no suprise to anyone here that Eddie and the boys would knock these songs out of the park.

I think this may be their greatest TV moment and one that they'll be remembered for down the road. I can see these clips being showed in future documentarys and disscussions about their carreer in the years to come.

Later
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    from what i hear from ppl that went, everyone was great!
    They said the Foos rocked too!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    I met Dave Grohl that morning in Encino, he had horrible laryngitis and was planning on cx-ing the performance....so kudos for showing up dude!!
    if hope could grow from dirt like me.....

"well I know for sure that if we met up eye-to-eye....a little wine would bring us closer...you and I"...Pete Townshend
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    I think everyone did a great job. But PEARL JAM......well, theres no denying they were the SH*T!!! :cool:
    PJ is definitely the sh#t!! BUt I feel the other bands could have practiced a little more.

Ed voice was so dead on. HIs high notes were off the hook. I always thought as you get older your voice gets worse but man eddies seems to be getting better! Now they need to get back in studio and give us some more tunes...
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    jadakid wrote:
    Even The Who didn't do The Who justice !
    Having seen The Who many times I wouldn't go THAT far. ;) But Pete was having sound problems from the start which was pretty obvious after they had to restart YBYB. He posted a note to the fans on thewho.com that he broke a nail on Baba and as a result he had a little bit of trouble getting "back in the saddle" as he put it. But I thought his playing was great.

No, Roger's voice ain't what it was and he can't hit a lot of those high notes he used to reach but I thought he sounded good. He struggled a lot during the 2007 tour and he's sounding a lot better these days.

Not to take away from PJ by any means who blew me and everybody else away. They should have done 4 songs.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    PJLeaver44PJLeaver44 Posts: 44
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    There is no match at this time in history for them.

wilco
    Grand Rapids 10/3/04, Kitchener 9/11/05, Grand Rapids 5/19/06, Detroit 5/22/06

"Who set the standard, born to be rich--Paris Hilton--Such fine example, skinny little bitch" -Ed, 5/19/06

www.myspace.com/radiomessiah
  • Options
    he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    So The Real Me is the only song that they played?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    PJLeaver44 wrote:
    wilco

Nah, not really. Great band, but not in the same league in terms of popularity and icon status.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    So The Real Me is the only song that they played?

They also played Love Reign O'er Me. It should air tonight on VH1.
  • Options
    jadakid wrote:
    Even The Who didn't do The Who justice !
    It looked like RD was going to die right on stage. I guess I'll have to see the rest on VH1 tonight. Maybe it was that song....??? At least they gave it one last horah.
  • Options
    he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    Wilds wrote:
    They also played Love Reign O'er Me. It should air tonight on VH1.

Thanks! I was hoping that was the case...

my buddy who always gives me shit for liking Pearl Jam "because they are popular" is goin to watch this tonight with me... he hasn't ever seen PJ live so I was hoping this would shut him up for a bit.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.