Pearl Jam on Howard Stern

S0nic reducerS0nic reducer Posts: 163
edited September 2009 in The Porch
So im doing a little work on the house while im listening to Stern and they played the fixer in its entirety. Normally Howard would comment on a new song but he was'nt in studio while Fred was playing it . I would have loved to hear howards thoughts on it . I think Fred likes it cause he played it . I know Howard loves Glorified G. I think it would be so cool if the boys went on stern probably won't happen maybe mike or matt would.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think Fred is a fan of PJ.
    Drop, drop, dropping it down...oh, so gently...

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Howard used to dislike PJ or at least gave that impression maybe because they wont go on the show or something.

I have noticed in the past year and a half, Fred will play a PJ song and Howard will comment on it asking who it is and then praising it. Fred has played a few of their Who covers and Howard likes them a lot and he is a huge The Who fan.

Recently, PJ has played at a few events Howard was at, and Howard has singled them out for being awesome. Also, he saw them at that The Who tribute thing and said they kicked ass.

I believe Howard does hold them in high regard now. He would have them on.... and it would be a great thing for PJ to do. It would be a good opportunity for the show to give them a huge boost. However, not sure how Eddie would handle some of the questions surely to be fired his way
  • Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    Va Va Vedder...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I remember watching the VMA's in '93 or so and HS wasn't so kind about PJ when he was doing commentary after the show. I don't recall the exact comment though.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I ve heard Howard play evenflow and sing along to it, as someone mentioned how he chimes in somewhat interrupting the song. (mainly why the poster seemed shocked the fixer was played in entirety) But I thought it was pretty funny hearing Stern sing it. And then he followed it with a "great fuckin song"
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I heard brother not too long ago too on there.. Fred is definitely a fan... Howard has also claimed to be a fan and if i'm not mistaken, Robin to! Never understood why they never came on the show before.. No better interviewer than Stern.. maybe that's the problem? Since he always asks the questions people don't want to answer but listeners want to here..
  • Agreed. I feel it's just a matter of time before this interview happens. I'm quite shocked that it has taken this long to begin with, especially given EV / HS's similar stances on the war, politics, and censorship.

Eddie Vedder + Howard Stern + Iron Shiek = Radio Gold
  • Pearl Jam was on who? :lol:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • In the early 90's, maybe 91 or 92, I heard Alive being played on KROQ - LA and on rare occasion, Evenflow. I liked them but wasn't a fan yet. In the mornings, Howard's syndication was on KLSX. One day, he went on a total positive rant about Pearl Jam. Spent a whole segment on them, on how much he loved them. Played Evenflow and talked through it just totally raving on how good it was. That is what got my interest up specifically on Pearl Jam. Later on, KLOS played Ten on their 7th day broadcast and from there, it was straight to the record store, for which there were many. Can't even find one now--probably part of the reason for the decline in CD sales. Anyway, Howard Stern was responsible for really putting Pearl Jam's name up front and focusing my attention on them.

I think that around the time of Riot Act, relations were strained a little. Pearl Jam did an exclusive live interview at WXRQ (KROCK-New York) but on the afternoon show, not Howard Stern's show.

I don't have sat radio so when he bolted for that format, I lost touch. Nice to hear from other posts in here that Howard seems to be positive on PJ.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    I remember watching the VMA's in '93 or so and HS wasn't so kind about PJ when he was doing commentary after the show. I don't recall the exact comment though.

he said Vedder was standing there like a plant while neil young was rocking in the free world. said neil looked foolish and that if he was a rocker, he'd never move like Ed.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Perhaps its the way that Howard Stern objectifies women that keeps the guys away...Mr. Stern may have good taste in music but not much else.

but thats just my opinion...
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    hold up kids...let's not put too much stock in howard's musical tastes... this is the same man that loves american idol and today reviewed the vma's and thought they were good... oh and he likes that "boom boom pow" song...whatever that is :D
  • Fred is a fan of GOOD MUSIC. He plays Glorified G quite often(Howard def. likes it).
    Brother and the Fixer? Played because of their position on the Mod Rock charts at the time. Haven't heard Brother since the begining of summer... the Fixer is #3 on the Mod Rock charts this/last week.

I don't think the band will EVER do Stern... Not their scene.
    Still got my fingers crossed for it though...
    My 2 obsessions together, Howard and PJ, that would kick some major ass...
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • fugawzifugawzi Posts: 879
    Ahh, nice to see fellow PJ and Stern fans. I've always wanted to see PJ on the show and I'm sure Howard would have them. I think it's up to whether or not PJ would want to do it. For some reason, I don't see it happening. I've never heard Howard say a bad thing about the band's music, it's always been something positive. I remember Chris Cornell did the show a couple years back, even talked about PJ and Matt being with the band now. PJ on Stern would be pretty cool.

On a side note to the person(s) commenting on how Howard treats women; please. Nobody's forcing chicks to do anything when they go on the show, it's their decision to do the show and what they do on the show. In most cases they go on for the same reason most other guest's go on. Money or some kind of publicity/promotion.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • I heard it and jammed along! I do think Fred is the bigger Pearl Jam fan, but if you are a show listener, they've played a lot of Pearl Jam songs over the years. Though Howard has some crappy tastes in music, you always hear PJ on there and he never disses them. Dry oatmeal!
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    fugawzi wrote:
    Ahh, nice to see fellow PJ and Stern fans. I've always wanted to see PJ on the show and I'm sure Howard would have them. I think it's up to whether or not PJ would want to do it. For some reason, I don't see it happening. I've never heard Howard say a bad thing about the band's music, it's always been something positive. I remember Chris Cornell did the show a couple years back, even talked about PJ and Matt being with the band now. PJ on Stern would be pretty cool.

Haha i remember that interview.. when he asks cornell if Ev is an asshole...
  • They asked Kings of Leon to come on. They didn't want to sing, so Howard didnt want them on. KOL said they are not morning people.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094

Stone and Jeff were booked as guests and Howard canceled them when he found out Eddie wasn't coming in. He says "why would I want to talk to Pearl Jam without Eddie Vedder?"

Gary talked about it on the wrap up show back in 2006

I think Howard always saw Eddie as too serious. Whenever his name comes up Howard always speaks on how unhappy he seems (EV). I think they met at a function this past April they both spoke at though and since then when Eddie's name comes up he doesn't make it sound like Eddie is miserable which makes me think they have met.

• I wouldn't exactly call those "thoughts on Stern." His entire comment on Stern was "I don't." when asked if he listened to his show.

And talk about terrible formatting! That interview, whenever it's from, could've gotten some better exposure if it weren't so hackishly put together.

P.S. I love Stern - if you take the misogyny thing too seriously you'll wind up finding things that aren't there. He's a hornball - he doesn't hate women in the least. His on-air approach to women on his show isn't exactly a likable quality of his, but the women he objectifies 90% of the time are there for the singular purpose of objectification for profit. That's precisely what models/strippers/hookers exist for. And the guy has a PAYING subscriber base three times as large as Conan, Letterman, Ferguson, Kimmel or Fallon. Literally.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    thunderDAN wrote:

Stone and Jeff were booked as guests and Howard canceled them when he found out Eddie wasn't coming in. He says "why would I want to talk to Pearl Jam without Eddie Vedder?"

Gary talked about it on the wrap up show back in 2006

I think Howard always saw Eddie as too serious. Whenever his name comes up Howard always speaks on how unhappy he seems (EV). I think they met at a function this past April they both spoke at though and since then when Eddie's name comes up he doesn't make it sound like Eddie is miserable which makes me think they have met.

I get that sense too. I think Howard might have realized they have common interests and I believe they met at that Lynch thing or that meditation thing
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Perhaps its the way that Howard Stern objectifies women that keeps the guys away...Mr. Stern may have good taste in music but not much else.

i share this opinion.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • "I like your newsletter and would like to subscibe to it."
  • the wolf wrote:
    Perhaps its the way that Howard Stern objectifies women that keeps the guys away...Mr. Stern may have good taste in music but not much else.

i share this opinion.

when people say this, i pretty much assume that they've never actually listened to his show, and rely on media reports or maybe caught old snippets from the E! show, and really don't know s--t about the show. If that's the case, then you really should reserve your comments - because of course those sources are only going to reveal the absolute most outrageous stunts. they do 5+ hours of live radio per day. most of it is funny, and very little is as offensive or "shocking" as people would like to think.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    It's happening 
    I miss igotid88