Options

Riot Act cover artwork

brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
edited December 2007 in The Porch
All their other covers do relate to the name of the album, so I just would like to hear other people's thoughts on how the skeleton figures on cover of Riot Act relate to what the term "riot act" means. Also you see them in jail within the inside artwork, too. I think lil those guys are cool, but not sure how they fit into the whole riot act meaning. ?? Basically what's your take on what PJ/Jeff was trying to convey?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    not4unot4u Posts: 513
    it reminds me of the greedy after thier bombs go off... "a blackout weaves its way.."
    also
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-rea1.htm
    we don't want war, but we still want more?
  • Options
    their crowns are different
    a king and a queen
    chess pieces
    it's sad they are in fire
    at least they're together
  • Options
    yellowbird wrote:
    their crowns are different
    a king and a queen

thanks. you put a good light on it..why there's a crown involved~

also you made me think that the use of the skeleton "dolls" somehow ties into the word "act". you know "act" as in puppet show, or theatre-like.
    I could be reading too much into this, but I don't think PJ takes their artwork too lightly.
  • Options
    broloco wrote:
    All their other covers do relate to the name of the album,

thats news to me, i dont think most of their album covers relate at all.
  • Options
    broloco wrote:
    All their other covers do relate to the name of the album

please explain how the covers of Ten and Vs relate to the album titles.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    haven't really got an insight, just want to say I love the artwork for RA, its dark and matches the feel of that album.

Hate the artwork on Avacado....not just the cover but also that tacky looking photo of their heads.....yuk....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    haven't really got an insight, just want to say I love the artwork for RA, its dark and matches the feel of that album.

Hate the artwork on Avacado....not just the cover but also that tacky looking photo of their heads.....yuk....

it looks "tacky" because its real sculptures of them / them posing with the modeling done around them. no computers involved

whats the story behind the Vs cover anyone?
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:

That's what I was thinking...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    JordyWordy wrote:
    it looks "tacky" because its real sculptures of them / them posing with the modeling done around them. no computers involved

yeah, i get that, just dont like he finished result, reminds me of ramnstein or something.....doesnt seem very pearl jam....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    Patriot Act=riot Act
    Minus a few letters
  • Options
    From http://www.urbandictionary.com ...

1. Riot Act

Viciously telling somebody off with nothing left out

"I have been seeing Ernie for ten years. Since he still refuses to commit, I read him the riot act."

"We crashed the junior prom. The class advisor read us both the riot act and then called our parents."

2. riot act

A top Pearl Jam album.

Riot Act is a return to form for Vedder and company.
  • Options
    nothing to with the cover, but these are the other entries on urban dictionary

6. ten

the best pearl jam cd ever

ten rocks - every song is awesome

4. vs

Yet another great Pearl Jam album.

Listen to Eddie Vedder scream himself hoarse on the song "Blood"

1. Vitalogy

1) A listing of human physiology and health, written in the early 1900's
    2) A top album written by Pearl Jam

1. no code

A top Pearl Jam album

Woah. Track 7 on No Code is killer.

1. yield

Pearl Jam album

It fucking owns.

1. binaural

1. To listen with both ears
    2. A so-so Pearl Jam album

Erm, there are only a handful of listenable tracks on Binaural
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    There is a 'real' Riot Act. Kings and Queens (like the cover) involved: http://reactor-core.org/riot-act.html

-and-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riot_Act
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    JordyWordy wrote:

whats the story behind the Vs cover anyone?

does anyone have a pic of this? i have PJ from iTunes and they do not provide the artwork other than the avocado cover. i am curious what the other pics look like?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i know the band members were fans of the artist who created the riot act cover work so they had them create something for the cover. i also remember someone saying that they couldnt come up with a title for the album and that ed had just been throwing the phrase riot act around so they went with it, so basically i dont think the cover art and the title are related at all...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    PGHmattPGHmatt Posts: 40
    Here is all the info on the riot act & in various countries

Introduction and purpose
    The Riot Act was introduced during a time of civil disturbance in Great Britain. The preamble makes reference to many rebellious riots and tumults [that] have been [taking place of late] in divers parts of this kingdom, adding that those involved presum[e] so to do, for that the punishments provided by the laws now in being are not adequate to such heinous offences.

[edit] Main provisions

[edit] Proclamation of riotous assembly
    The act created a mechanism for certain local officials to make a proclamation ordering the dispersal of any group of more than twelve people who were "unlawfully, riotously, and tumultuously assembled together". If the group failed to disperse within twenty minutes, then anyone remaining gathered was guilty of a felony without benefit of clergy, punishable by death.

The proclamation could be made in an incorporated town or city by the Mayor, Bailiffs or "other head officer", or a Justice of the Peace. Elsewhere it could be made by a Justice of the Peace or the Sheriff or Under-Sheriff. It had to be read out to the gathering concerned, and had to follow precise wording detailed in the act; several convictions were overturned because parts of the proclamation had been omitted, in particular "God save the King."[citation needed]

The wording that had to be read out to the assembled gathering was as follows:

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains contained in the act made in the first year of King George, for preventing tumults and riotous assemblies. God Save the King.

[edit] Consequences of reading the proclamation
    If a group of people failed to disperse within twenty minutes of the proclamation, the act provided that the authorities could use force to disperse them. Anyone assisting with the dispersal was specifically indemnified against any legal consequences in the event of any of the crowd being injured or killed.

Because of the free-ranging that the act granted, it was used both for the maintenance of civil order and for political means. A particularly notorious use of the act was the Peterloo Massacre of 1819.

[edit] Other provisions
    The act also made it a felony punishable by death without benefit of clergy for "any persons unlawfully, riotously and tumultuously assembled together" to cause (or begin to cause) serious damage to places of religious worship, houses, barns, and stables.

In the event of buildings being damaged in areas that were not incorporated into a town or city, the residents of the hundred were made liable to pay damages to the property owners concerned. Unlike the rest of the act, this required a civil action. In the case of incorporated areas, the action could be brought against two or more named individuals.

Prosecutions under the act were restricted to within one year of the event.

[edit] Subsequent history of the Riot Act in the UK and other countries
    The Riot Act drifted into disuse, and was eventually repealed in the UK by the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1973 (by which time riot was no longer punishable by death).

The Riot Act caused unfortunate confusion during the Gordon Riots of 1780, when the authorities felt uncertain of their power to take action to stop the riots without a reading of the Riot Act. After the riots, Lord Mansfield observed that the Riot Act did not take away the pre-existing power of the authorities to use force to stop a violent riot; it only created the additional offence of failing to disperse after a reading of the Riot Act.

As an act of the British Parliament, the Riot Act passed into the law of those countries that were then colonies of Great Britain, including the North American colonies that would become the United States.

In many common-law jurisdictions, a lesser disturbance such as an affray or an unruly gathering may be deemed an unlawful assembly by the local authorities, and ordered to disperse. Failure to obey such an order would typically be prosecuted as a summary offence.

[edit] Canada
    In Canada, the Riot Act has been incorporated in a modified form into ss. 32-33 and 64-69 of the Criminal Code. The proclamation is worded as follows:

Her Majesty the Queen charges and commands all persons being assembled immediately to disperse and peaceably to depart to their habitations or their lawful business, on pain of being guilty of an offence for which, on conviction, they may be sentenced to an imprisonment for life. God Save the Queen!
    Unlike the original Riot Act, the Criminal Code requires the assembled people to disperse within half-an-hour, and substitutes punishment by death with life imprisonment.

[edit] Australia
    Acts similar to the Riot Act have been enacted in some (if not all) Australian states. For example, in Victoria, The "Unlawful Assemblies and Processions Act" (1958) allows a magistrate to disperse a crowd with the words (or words to the effect of):

Our Sovereign Lady the Queen doth strictly charge and command all manner of persons here assembled immediately to disperse themselves and peaceably depart to their own homes. God save the Queen.
    Anyone remaining after 15 minutes may be charged and imprisoned for only one month (first offence) or three months (repeat offence). The Act does not apply to crowds gathered for the purpose of an election.

The same Act allows a magistrate to appoint citizens as "Special [Police] Constables" to disperse a crowd, and provides indemnity for the hurting or killing of unlawfully assembled people in an attempt to disperse them.

[edit] United States
    The principle of the Riot Act was incorporated into the first Militia Act (1 Stat. 264) of May 8, 1792. The act's long title was "An act to provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the laws of the Union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions".

Section 3 of the Militia Act gave power to the President to issue a proclamation to "command the insurgents to disperse, and retire peaceably to their respective abodes, within a limited time", and authorized him to use the militia if they failed to do so. Substantively identical language is presently codified at chapter 15 of title 10, United States Code. See 10 U.S.C. §§ 331-35 (2006).

[edit] Belize
    The Central American country of Belize, another former British colony, also still retains the principle of the Riot Act; it was last read on January 21, 2005, during the 2005 Belize unrest.

[edit] "Read the Riot Act"
    Because the authorities were required to read the proclamation that referred to the Riot Act before they could enforce it, the expression to read the riot act entered into common language as a phrase meaning "to reprimand severely", with the added sense of a stern warning. The phrase remains in everyday use in English despite the fact that the act itself has long since passed into history.
  • Options
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSmith

That's what I was thinking...

were you thinking at all?

ten= they're all huddled hands reaching up with number one symbol, very sports like, a nod to mookie's basketball jersey number 10

vs. = the animal is snarling, in defense mode like it's him versus the person looking at cover/photographer

vitalogy = early font, old health book

no code = all little pictures forming a "code", but it's probably being ironic because there really isn't a code (no code)

yield = duh

binaural = a nebula with two circles forming like two ears

riot act = two skeletons with crowns possibly symbolizing king and queen who originally initiated the first riot acts

pearl jam avocado = not sure on this one?? , could be as political statement.. new green party for office>>>new label for band? or just a nice simple pop symbol to go with simple title
  • Options
    please explain how the covers of Ten and Vs relate to the album titles.

see above. now please explain why you are living.
  • Options
    broloco wrote:
    see above. now please explain why you are living.

um...yeah. You have to be some kind of idiot to not see how obviously the Vs. cover represents "the animal is snarling, like it's him versus the person looking at cover/photographer".

Don't be so touchy, douche.
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    i know the band members were fans of the artist who created the riot act cover work so they had them create something for the cover.

wait wasn't it Jeff who created it (not the dolls)... anyway thanks~
  • Options
    Jeff came up with the idea for the cover, but they got someone else to create the metal figures.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too