Fond pet memories

craigbcraigb Posts: 806
edited September 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Lost my beloved dog, CC, the other day. She was 8 years old and she was hit by a car on the highway near my house. I had her almost half my life, so she was very important to me.

It's been a couple of days, and I've been looking back, thinking about her and all of the funny things she did. It made me realize how blessed I was to have such a great pet.

I was wondering if anyone had some fond memories of their pets or with their pets that they would like to share?
"Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I feel for you kid....not easy losing a pet, no matter how they go....it's not easy......your girl is healthy and happy where she is right now....she'll see you again.

I've got 2 crazy Labs (see my photo) and they crack me up every day. From coming to me with a chew toy to share to snuggling on the couch.

I had a horse for about 11 years. She was euthanized about 2 years ago due to an injury. The circumstances around it are too involved to get into here but she was a good gal. Sassy personality, opinionated but sweet too. She loved to work. Going on a trail ride was not her thing so she was a show ring horse. And she could be such a ding dong in the show ring...she whinnied the entire time at the first show I had to trailer her to - she could not figure out where her barn mate was and why all these other horses were in the ring with her. The judges thought she was a fire cracker. Her down time was in the paddock and long brushing sessions with her searching for treats in my pockets. I miss that the most....her soft nose, her contorting her shoulder into the pressure of me brushing her favorite itchy spot, her sigh of total relaxation when I'd finish....the nicker she'd give when I showed up at the barn....All good memories
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • i had a collie that was very smart. his name was Lucky. my grandfather came over to do some work and left the gate open and Lucky ran away. i was 13 and i walked my town for 2 days, not luck. then my dad and i were driving looking for him and we found him... dead on the side of the road. i cried for weeks. very smart dog and protective.
    I'll be back
  • my cat allison died last year at the age of 19. i grew up with her. she was spoiled ROTTEN. when she was a kitten, she was fairly antisocial -- would always hide from people, etc. but as she got older, she became so affectionate. she loved belly rubs and chasing after the reflection from watches. she loved snack foods like cheetos and doritos (which i only gave to her in very small amounts once in a blue moon, of course)

i am so sorry about your dog. my cat was really old, so we knew that she was probably going to die soon. but to lose your pet suddenly, i cannot imagine.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'm so sorry to hear about CC :(

well norm is my first dog and i've had him for 3 1/2 years and i can't begin to list the wacky things this dog does

however, the past week when i'm on the couch and he is inside, he will crawl under the couch to sleep...there is just enough room for him to squeeze under

P1010008.jpg

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I am very sorry to hear about CC.

I just lost one of my dogs 2 weeks and one day ago.

In fact we just got his ashes back today. Very hard.

The people here on this board gave me a ton of support. ( i have not forgotten, just every time i try to respond in the thread or to the PM's , i break down. in time i will thank you all proper. )

anyway, i have a ton of memories, but again... i guess its too much for me right now.

the one thing i can say is that for 13 years Zillah ( who is gone ) he could catch anything i threw his way.
    on sundays during the commercials in football games he would go out for passes and i would throw him a little
    football and he would catch it about 75% of the time !

thought about that the other day and how i would miss that. my other dog ( his sister from the same litter ) she has never caught anything in 13 years. i started throwing her the ball the other day, and now she is all of a sudden catching it maybe a third of the time ! made me happy as a pig in shit !

again, very sorry for your loss.

good luck

good vibes, and prayers for both you and CC.

-steve
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    I am so sorry for your loss Craig. The loss of a pet can be heartbreaking. I am glad that you are focusing on the fond memories right now. I've had quite a few pets over the years and I can tell you, it never get easier losing one.

I have many, many fond memories from a number of pets, really too many to list here. All I know is that I never stop remembering those that I have lost. There are a lot of "remember when . . ." conversations in our home :):D

RIP CC
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Sorry about your doggie :(

I have a pet rabbit, and he cracks me up everytime I see him! He chews on everything, and has started to go for snoozes with me now. He mostly enjoys hiding in corners chewing on empty crisp packets and running around my room really fast.

I've always been around animals as I grew up on a farm, but the bunny is the first pet that's mine, y'know? My other pet was a lamb (can't for the life of me remember his name now), but he went to the meat factory. Had a few dogs that were the best too - Laddie was a big muscley labrador, but he was sooo quiet and tame. Pupino was a collie, he was great for hugs. Gorby was a lab cross with other randoms, and was a head the ball. His legs were broken (my brother drove over them accidentally when he was a pup) and he always ran funny after that! Ah good times 8-)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Thanks for all of the support, guys. I really appreciate it.

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I'm sorry to hear about CC.

Ricky died in 1995, and he was such an angel, just gentle, and wonderful, and loyal. If I came home late, and I opened the gate to the backyard inevitably I would come into contact with his nose.

After my brother would take him for a walk (run) Ricky would lie down on the carpet totally exhausted except for his tail. When he saw my brother nothing else moved, but that tail. It was one of those happy tails :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • My 9-year old beagle suddenly died on Saturday. Very difficult. I know what you are going through. I had to tell my 8-year-old and 4-year-old that Parker died. Not sure what was worse, the dog dying, or breaking their hearts while mine was broken. Odd I should come on here today, heart still in pieces, and see this thread. thanks for words of encouragement from you all, even though they were directed at the OP. Good stories. My dog was a member of my family I raised from puppy days. Tough to let her go. Her heart gave out on her suddenly. I know I will see her again though. She will be pumped to see me for about 5 minutes again, then go lay down somewhere.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    jambayleaf wrote:
    My 9-year old beagle suddenly died on Saturday. Very difficult. I know what you are going through. I had to tell my 8-year-old and 4-year-old that Parker died. Not sure what was worse, the dog dying, or breaking their hearts while mine was broken. Odd I should come on here today, heart still in pieces, and see this thread. thanks for words of encouragement from you all, even though they were directed at the OP. Good stories. My dog was a member of my family I raised from puppy days. Tough to let her go. Her heart gave out on her suddenly. I know I will see her again though. She will be pumped to see me for about 5 minutes again, then go lay down somewhere.

My thoughts are with you, man. RIP Parker.
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear about CC.

Ricky died in 1995, and he was such an angel, just gentle, and wonderful, and loyal. If I came home late, and I opened the gate to the backyard inevitably I would come into contact with his nose.

After my brother would take him for a walk (run) Ricky would lie down on the carpet totally exhausted except for his tail. When he saw my brother nothing else moved, but that tail. It was one of those happy tails :D
    I know what you mean about those tails. I remember when CC would just be sitting on the lawn. I'd see her and go sit down next to her. Her tail would be wagging like crazy, and she would roll over, prompting me to pet her belly. She knew when affection was due.

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    jambayleaf wrote:
    My 9-year old beagle suddenly died on Saturday. Very difficult. I know what you are going through. I had to tell my 8-year-old and 4-year-old that Parker died. Not sure what was worse, the dog dying, or breaking their hearts while mine was broken. Odd I should come on here today, heart still in pieces, and see this thread. thanks for words of encouragement from you all, even though they were directed at the OP. Good stories. My dog was a member of my family I raised from puppy days. Tough to let her go. Her heart gave out on her suddenly. I know I will see her again though. She will be pumped to see me for about 5 minutes again, then go lay down somewhere.

I am so sorry for your loss too :cry: ((((Good vibes)))) to you and your family as well.

RIP Parker
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Before the two I have now I have a brindle mastiff x boxer. He was an absolute champion. I'd go for a snooze after work and he'd come in with me until he needed to go to the toilet and instead of barking loud he would come right up to my face and give a little "ruff". If I didn't wake up he would slowly get louder and louder until I did. My brother likes his KFC and he told me that if he left any other food in his room the dog would leave it alone but that KFC!! By the time my brother got home he'd see a hole in the top of the box just big enough to fit a boxer muzzle into and all the leftovers would be gone! :D
    My best memory of him though was coming home from work through the neighbourhood streets and seeing my Mum walking him. She'd let him off the leash and he'd walk about ten feet in front of her, occasionally looking back to see if she was OK. One time she slipped and broke her leg and he wouldn't let anyone near her. The ambulance rang and I had to go and get hold of him before they'd go near her. Mum got diagnosed with alzhiemers when he was about 6. By the time he was 8 Mum would sometimes forget where she'd walked too but he'd get her home everytime and even started walking by her side instead of out in front when he was off his leash.

Sorry to here about all the lost pets on here :( It hurt so bad when I had to put him down but that pales in comparison to the joy he brought to our whole families life and the fond memories I have of him :D
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    all the lost pet stories are sad but there is so much love in this thread- its wonderful
    I am remembering my Jakey, Scout, Maggie Mae, McKay and Mollie- all my loving friends that I have spent my life with and
    I'm crying happy tears cause I was so lucky to have been their family.
    And I have so many fun stories each day with my pack- Charlie, Maddie, & Lucy and grand doggies Faith, Dottie(Nanners?) and Bonnie the bulldog. They really keep me going never a dull moment!
  • jambayleaf wrote:

I am so sorry for your loss too :cry: ((((Good vibes)))) to you and your family as well.

RIP Parker

Thanks for the vibes. I'll take it.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer