Wed. Dec. 31, 1969???

Backspacer 76Backspacer 76 Posts: 960
edited December 2009 in The Porch
So I noticed most of the Backspacer songs listed in the music section have

First played : Wed. Dec. 31, 1969
Last played : Wed. Dec. 31, 1969

Why is this? Any reason this date is given for songs that haven't been played live yet?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's probably the default date in their database.
  • That's probably the default date in their database.
    Really. That's all ? I was hoping there was gonna be some cool reason for this.
    Now I`m just bummed for even asking :roll:
  • hmm strange...now it says Thurs Jan. 1, 1970
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    hmm strange...now it says Thurs Jan. 1, 1970
    A glimpse into the 10C headquarters:
    "Someone just posted that they think there's some significance behind the first and last play date of Backspacer being Dec. 31, 1969"
    "So?"
    "Well... doesn't that mean we should lead them through some seemingly meaningful journey with no intention of giving them anything?
    "Right! Forgot about that.. hm, I don't know, do something stupid like change the date to one day later - watch them all shit themselves!"
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Actually you're wrong.

A kid I know heard it from this guy who knows this dude who is close to an ex-girlfriend of a roadie who filled in for a cover band who once opened at the same venue that mother love bone were once considering playing, that the date was when the pearl jam kids as they where then known had a chance anf fateful encounter at the same target store with their parents and had an impromptu jam using toy instruments. This meeting is quickly becoming known as the birthplace of grunge. This session went on to form the basis for most of the material on backspacer (also, the real reason for the title). There is some lost grainy camera footage of this session on reel to reel film which was taken by chance as a film camera rep filmed the performance while giving a demo at the new wonder of afforable home video camera and projectors. Rumor has it, it is being offered around to certain 'in the know' members of 10 Club who are trying to purchase it back for the band so they can offer it as a special surprise download for those who have pre-ordered backspacer from ten club. This also explains the main reason behind the target deal and why this is a 'happy and poppy' album seeing as the kids were yet to experience the pain and trials of modern life and this was refelected in the upbeat and optimistic tone in the lyrics.

As a footnote Johnny Ramone happened to walk past while the the kids were blasting out supersonic and quickly raced home to get a band together. Unfortunately pearl jam won't be credited as starting punk, but Johnny never forgot.

Unfortunately the jam acame to an abrupt end when a number of other chilren began fighting over who would be drummer and their parents took them all home and gavce them a beating, thus sparking a darker side to their personalities and lyrical themes. It took years for the kids to all find one another again.....
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Actually you're wrong.

A kid I know heard it from this guy who knows this dude who is close to an ex-girlfriend of a roadie who filled in for a cover band who once opened at the same venue that mother love bone were once considering playing, that the date was when the pearl jam kids as they where then known had a chance anf fateful encounter at the same target store with their parents and had an impromptu jam using toy instruments. This meeting is quickly becoming known as the birthplace of grunge. This session went on to form the basis for most of the material on backspacer (also, the real reason for the title). There is some lost grainy camera footage of this session on reel to reel film which was taken by chance as a film camera rep filmed the performance while giving a demo at the new wonder of afforable home video camera and projectors. Rumor has it, it is being offered around to certain 'in the know' members of 10 Club who are trying to purchase it back for the band so they can offer it as a special surprise download for those who have pre-ordered backspacer from ten club. This also explains the main reason behind the target deal and why this is a 'happy and poppy' album seeing as the kids were yet to experience the pain and trials of modern life and this was refelected in the upbeat and optimistic tone in the lyrics.

As a footnote Johnny Ramone happened to walk past while the the kids were blasting out supersonic and quickly raced home to get a band together. Unfortunately pearl jam won't be credited as starting punk, but Johnny never forgot.

Unfortunately the jam acame to an abrupt end when a number of other chilren began fighting over who would be drummer and their parents took them all home and gavce them a beating, thus sparking a darker side to their personalities and lyrical themes. It took years for the kids to all find one another again.....
    :lol:
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Actually you're wrong.

Dude that is just fucking crazy. I don't even know how to respond to that :lol: Here I thought it was the date that Jack Irons traveled back in time to give a young Eddie Vedder the Stone and Jeff demos ?
  • If i can be allowed a little self promotion:

Keep an eye on my blog as I embark on my two week tour of usa in October. I'll be digging for gold in the bullshit mine as well as recoding some honest reflections of my trip and the concerts.

http://pauljam.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    That's probably the default date in their database.

i was 21 days old...i'm pretty cool ;):lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • norm wrote:

:shock: you are 9 years older than me? I thought we were around the same age... :geek:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • norm wrote:

:shock: you are 9 years older than me? I thought we were around the same age... :geek:

And i was just over 6 months old.

Another interesting fact, Eddie's love for the who was sparked in at the very same target visit when he saw a who album on 'compact cassette' and noticed a similarity with the target logo. He shoplifted the cassette Tommy and spent hours alone in his room listening to it when sent there after being naughty.
    norm wrote:

physically - 39

mentally - 17

:P :lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • norm wrote:

physically - 39

mentally - 17

LOL! well Im physically 31, mentally I would say 21 ;)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Hey norm, given my posts, where do you place my mental age?

BTW did you get the free bowl of soup with that hat?
    Hey norm, given my posts, where do you place my mental age?

BTW did you get the free bowl of soup with that hat?

accents always throw me...36? :P :lol::mrgreen:
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    The beginning of (UNIX) time was 1970/01/01 00:00:00 GMT or 0. A Negative 1 (-1) integer in the date is interpreted as 1969/12/31.
    Their system or database probably has a zeroed out or NULL in the date field.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Cosmo wrote:
    The beginning of (UNIX) time was 1970/01/01 00:00:00 GMT or 0. A Negative 1 (-1) integer in the date is interpreted as 1969/12/31.

You forgot to say......... 'YOUR WELCOME!!!!'
    You forgot to say......... 'YOUR WELCOME!!!!'
    What he said.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    Actually you're wrong.

Possibly the best post I've ever read on here! I bow to your genius!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    i was at the 1969 show in question. even in my sig, :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    CJMST3K wrote:
    i was at the 1969 show in question

Me too, I was only 2 1/2 but I played a mean triangle. :)
  • goldrush wrote:
    Possibly the best post I've ever read on here! I bow to your genius!

Why thank you. If bullshit were gold I'd be a wealthy man. :)
    Claireack wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    i was at the 1969 show in question

Me too, I was only 2 1/2 but I played a mean triangle. :)

BTW - this show was listed in the Edit Your Profile panel where you could enter the shows you had been to. I don't know if it's still an option to add as a show one was at.
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    Cosmo wrote:
    This person is obviously living in a fantasy world. Zeroed out or NULL. Who could believe such BS :?
    Things were different then
    If the OS is returning the date, I'd have root check their init file to make sure the clock is set correctly at boot.
    If it's a database issue, check to see if the constraint on the date column is enabled.
    Right... whadda you think?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Cosmo wrote:
    If the OS is returning the date, I'd have root check their init file to make sure the clock is set correctly at boot.
    If it's a database issue, check to see if the constraint on the date column is enabled.

lol... I was laughing because I realized it had been so long since I worked as a programmer working with databases.... so long that I forgot some stuff!! :lol:

but you're right....... :P

UNIX really beats any OS....damn Microsoft for corrupting us with their pretty drag and drop mouses!

Anyway back to your point....kinda..... I'm still scratching my head over one of my former clients demanding that we used ACCESS as a database for large clients.... what a mess! Glad I no longer work on that project.... :lol:

I do miss it though.....don't mind working with databases again.....even dealing wtih NULL headaches....
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    norm wrote:
    physically - 39

mentally - 17

pretty much the same physical/mental age disparity for all us guys. :D
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • BTW did you get the free bowl of soup with that hat?

heheheheheeeehe...
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
    IamMine wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

lol... I was laughing because I realized it had been so long since I worked as a programmer working with databases.... so long that I forgot some stuff!! :lol:

but you're right....... :P

UNIX really beats any OS....damn Microsoft for corrupting us with their pretty drag and drop mouses!

Anyway back to your point....kinda..... I'm still scratching my head over one of my former clients demanding that we used ACCESS as a database for large clients.... what a mess! Glad I no longer work on that project.... :lol:

I do miss it though.....don't mind working with databases again.....even dealing wtih NULL headaches....
    I was a UNIX (CLIX,HPUX, AIX, SunOS) Systems Administrator from 1987 til about 1994. This was overlapped with Database Administrator (Informix and Oracle) from 1988 to present.
    We'd usually run into this date problem when we were setting up UNIX workstations... and it was something in the init file... it was an easy fix... but, I just can't remember what it was.
    And most database applications set the date constraint to be NOT NULL and set the default value to CURRDATE.. but if the constraint ain't there or is disabled... December 31, 1969.
    Hail, Hail!!!
    So I noticed most of the Backspacer songs listed in the music section have

First played : Wed. Dec. 31, 1969
    Last played : Wed. Dec. 31, 1969

Why is this? Any reason this date is given for songs that haven't been played live yet?

hmm strange...now it says Thurs Jan. 1, 1970

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

As reported in the thread below, John Mayer said he had an evil scheme to travel back in time and take PJ music back with him and introduce it to people in the 70's.

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 4&t=118507

Apparently, Mayer was successful in doing this, and introduced Backspacer songs on the first day in the 70's that was possible. PJ's new website is so accurate, it picks up on this, and lists the songs as such.

that evil genius.