Options

State Of The Union

2»

Comments

• Options
    The point is....we're the most pivilaged group of people on earth and all everyone does is bitch and complain. Kind of like when Pearl Jam goes above an beyond for us fans and all half the people do is bitch and complain because it isn't exactly what they wanted. Bunch of spoiled fucking brats that think everything needs to be handed to them. We, in America, have so fucking good and 70% of te population is to fucking stupid to figure that out. Step back and take a look around...farther than outside your front door.

The people that have money are spoiled. We don't do a very good job helping our own.

I'm middle class and make "liveable" wages but I almost lost everything Ive worked for because of sickness and an inferior healthcare system. Then I found out if I was Canadian, French, or British I wouldn't have been out $136,000 for "healthcare".

Yeah, I'm kinda unhappy.
    I wish I was spoiled.
    the Minions
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Smellyman wrote:
    and many other countries have better standards of living and are amazing places to live.

Texas is hell.

Didn't mean to intimate that they weren't. Sorry if your feathers got fluffed. No harm or degradation to other countries/societies intended. Peace!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,750
    1/2 Empty wrote:
    That has always fascinated me. I just do not understand those people who "thank the good lord" for all the blessings in life. I never hear those people blame "the good lord" for all of the negative things that happen in our lives. It seems to me that if "the good lord" is the one pulling the strings, then "he" would prevent things such things as war, famine, and genocide.

Why would you think that? Without pain, there is no pleasure. Without wrong there is no right. Without evil, there is no good.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    The people that have money are spoiled. We don't do a very good job helping our own.

I'm middle class and make "liveable" wages but I almost lost everything Ive worked for because of sickness and an inferior healthcare system. Then I found out if I was Canadian, French, or British I wouldn't have been out $136,000 for "healthcare".

Yeah, I'm kinda unhappy.
    I wish I was spoiled.
    I'm middle class too....so let me point out the holes in your theory about being kinda unhappy.

Compare what you have to over 80% of the worlds population, and you will find that you are very wealthy. Compare your health to over 80% of the worlds population, and you will find that you are truly blessed to have the health care that you bitch about, even if it does cost a pretty penny. Look at all the little things that you have that 80% of the worlds population would love to have. You're complaining about the wealthy not helping the poor...and yet, you are wealthy compared to over 80% of the worlds population and I am assuming that your not giving hand outs out to all those people less off than you.

Like I said, I am lower middle class, I have a wife, three healthy kids, a decent job, two reliable vehices, food in the kitchen and more clothes than we need. I'm happy for what I have, not pissed because I don't have it better.

I want more more more....it's the American way right? It's about time people stop being greedy (which is basically what your saying) and start sacrificing a little bit of the luxuries in life or we're going countinue our downward spiral.

I am not saying everything this administration has done in the last 7 years has been stellar....or good...but look around man...the glass is half full not half empty.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    excellent speech tonight. made me feel nostalgic for the past 7 years. if only those good for nothing democrats would get off their asses and stop pork barreling bills, we'd get some things accomplished in this great country.
    agreed
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    The point is....we're the most pivilaged group of people on earth and all everyone does is bitch and complain. Kind of like when Pearl Jam goes above an beyond for us fans and all half the people do is bitch and complain because it isn't exactly what they wanted. Bunch of spoiled fucking brats that think everything needs to be handed to them. We, in America, have so fucking good and 70% of te population is to fucking stupid to figure that out. Step back and take a look around...farther than outside your front door.

Yes! Exactly my thoughts
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    i cant believe how many people have come into this thread just to say "were alot better off than most people"... if you hold yourself to the standard of a murderer you probably look like a pretty nice person but that doesnt mean you should cut yourself short like that... we must hold ourselves to our own long establish traditions and standards... while im grateful for everything i have, this thread was meant to critique the actions of a very specific president and his very specific time in office and quite frankly it has not been americas shining moment... and im not being selfish for expecting the government to uphold the same luxuries we've had in the past... look at the national debt now and compare it to when bush came into office if you all like to compare so much what everyone has and doesnt have
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 599
    wilmack88 wrote:
    The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true, given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed, and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence, 2/3's of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?''

Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time, and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and
    provide services to help all, and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes , an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have , and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the President who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The President who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same President who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The President that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

The Commander-In Chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

Think about it...are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go.

They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds, it leads; and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells , and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about "how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way"...Insane!

Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

We are among the most blessed people on Earth, and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

That is the most laughable post I have read all year. I sincerely hope you were being sarcastic.
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    i don't know where you live punk ass bitch, but i don't have a flat screen tv or cable and don't own my own house. i don't have a job and i couldn't drive from coast to coast cuz i couldn't afford the gas!! i don't eat out and any ethnic place i want cuz i can't afford it. maybe you can so you don't bitch, do you work at halliburton? i just want my country to keep other countries free of bombs! lets try that, oh and by the way i have a 60k private education that i paid for, or am paying for. i just think he has done a fuck awful job!! and you know what a$$hole i can say that cuz i voted for him twice, shame on me, so fuck me if i say something you don't wanta hear!

You can afford the internet though? Your signature says "One Love"

and "Respect"

Do you think your response was either of these?
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    You can afford the internet though? Your signature says "One Love"

and "Respect"

Do you think your response was either of these?

actually i steal wireless from my nieghbor. peaceout and ONELOVE TO YOU THO!!

also i am working on myself i grew up in the ghetto and made it it out and sometimes it still comes out when i get upset...

respect to you
    one love

respect
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    solid speech last night. well done. gonna miss bush
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Keiran wrote:
    Didn't mean to intimate that they weren't. Sorry if your feathers got fluffed. No harm or degradation to other countries/societies intended. Peace!

I know you didn't.

Point I was making that too often we as Americans falsely think we are better than other countries. America is a great place to live, but not the best and has many, many, many flaws.

I am enjoying living in Hong Kong 12x more than the US.
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    Smellyman wrote:
    I know you didn't.

Point I was making that too often we as Americans falsely think we are better than other countries. America is a great place to live, but not the best and has many, many, many flaws.

I am enjoying living in Hong Kong 12x more than the US.

hong kong is awsome!!

been there. i loved the outer horbor towns! gr8 food and gr8 people!!
    guess thats what i get 4 my 60k private education, work sent me free.
    one love

respect
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    hong kong is awsome!!

been there. i loved the outer horbor towns! gr8 food and gr8 people!!
    guess thats what i get 4 my 60k private education, work sent me free.

It really is awesome, having the time of life. Short trips to Philappines, Thailand, VietNam, Mainland, Indonesia...

Should've moved here years ago...

awfully humid though, my only complaint..
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,258
    agreed. america is such a great country. so proud to be from here. obviously the greatest country on earth.

usa! usa! usa!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 326
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i cant believe how many people have come into this thread just to say "were alot better off than most people"... if you hold yourself to the standard of a murderer you probably look like a pretty nice person but that doesnt mean you should cut yourself short like that... we must hold ourselves to our own long establish traditions and standards... while im grateful for everything i have, this thread was meant to critique the actions of a very specific president and his very specific time in office and quite frankly it has not been americas shining moment... and im not being selfish for expecting the government to uphold the same luxuries we've had in the past... look at the national debt now and compare it to when bush came into office if you all like to compare so much what everyone has and doesnt have

Exactly

Since when did the freedoms that this country has enjoyed all along get credited to Bush?
    America being a great place doesn't mean Americans should be satisfied with one paticular president.
  • Options
    se7v7en wrote:
    Exactly

Since when did the freedoms that this country has enjoyed all along get credited to Bush?
    America being a great place doesn't mean Americans should be satisfied with one paticular president.
    I, for one, have never credited Bush with anything we have. If anything he has taken away more and more of our freedoms just like every president before him....Democrat and Republican.

My problem is listening to people bitch about how bad they have it in this country. Because they can't sit on their ass in front of the tv, eating their twinkies; because they have to work for a living to make ends meet. And then live above their means and get in a bind.....and of course it's someone else's fault and they start blaming the wealthy and the government. If you have to decide to pay a medical bill or buy a new playstation 3....and you pick the PS3, it's your own fault you're in the position your in and the rest of us shouldn't have to bail you out because you can't make good decisions.
  • Options
    1/2 Empty wrote:
    That has always fascinated me. I just do not understand those people who "thank the good lord" for all the blessings in life. I never hear those people blame "the good lord" for all of the negative things that happen in our lives. It seems to me that if "the good lord" is the one pulling the strings, then "he" would prevent things such things as war, famine, and genocide.

Exactly. I think "the good lord" has a penchant for sado-masochism.

I also wonder if any of these Bush supporters are the ones who boo Bushleaguer when it is played.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    I, for one, have never credited Bush with anything we have. If anything he has taken away more and more of our freedoms just like every president before him....Democrat and Republican.

My problem is listening to people bitch about how bad they have it in this country. Because they can't sit on their ass in front of the tv, eating their twinkies; because they have to work for a living to make ends meet. And then live above their means and get in a bind.....and of course it's someone else's fault and they start blaming the wealthy and the government. If you have to decide to pay a medical bill or buy a new playstation 3....and you pick the PS3, it's your own fault you're in the position your in and the rest of us shouldn't have to bail you out because you can't make good decisions.
    UNbelievable... surely there are people out there like the ones youre talking about... but THAT is the worst generalization i have EVER heard... you cant seriously believe that the majority of people living in poverty are making decisions like that... even if it was just a bad example... there are people dying because of what they cant afford... i dont immediately jump to blaming the government and i can think of some specific instances of families i know that take advantage of our welfare system... but there are definitely things the government can do to help the situation that they arent doing now... its bleeding through the layers of bandaids we keep putting over the problem
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    UNbelievable... surely there are people out there like the ones youre talking about... but THAT is the worst generalization i have EVER heard... you cant seriously believe that the majority of people living in poverty are making decisions like that... even if it was just a bad example... there are people dying because of what they cant afford... i dont immediately jump to blaming the government and i can think of some specific instances of families i know that take advantage of our welfare system... but there are definitely things the government can do to help the situation that they arent doing now... its bleeding through the layers of bandaids we keep putting over the problem
    Yes I do think that IS the problem. I could wright you a 10 page paper about the subject but I'm at work and have to go to class after here until 10 tonight. My wife worked at DHS (Department of Human Services) for 7 years....20% of the people that came in for their benefits (things our governemt pays for) deserve the services. The other 80% are self induced into poverty because of reasons I stated in the above post. You thing that doesn't drag the system down? You think that doesn't take away the money that the government could be using to help the people that really need it?

Never said their aren't people in bad shape that need the help and never said that the government can't do more.....I'm saying there are a lot of people that take advantage of the system....and most of them bitch and moan that no one will give 'em more handouts.