Record Player Questions

washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
edited January 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was just listening to some records i just got and i noticed that my record player plays faster than the song is supposed to sound. it's a new record player, i just got it maybe a year ago and i noticed it plays faster than usual when i got the 10 box set and realized it was a little off since i've heard those songs a billion+ times. i tried other records and it's the player. i synced the player with my ipod so i know it's off. is there anything i can do to fix it or something? so far i just press my finger slightly on the side of it so that it slows down but i don't wanna ruin it or something.

also, is there anything i can do to make the sound better? of course getting one that's higher end is better though it costs a lot. i heard that changing the needle from the one it comes with to a glass one (or something) makes it sound better.

any help is greatly appreciated! :) thanks!

the one i have is this but pink:
crosley_cr711_autorama_red.jpg
PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hi,

Changing the needle is not going to help with the speed issues, but would help with overall sound quality. The speed issue might be that you have it on the 45rpm setting rather than the 33 1/3rpm (45 = single vs. 33 1/3 = album). I would say check that first, there is usually a switch labeled 33 1/3rpm and 45rpm somewhere on the player, usually near the needle arm (and sometimes 78rpm, but I doubt a Crosley would have that option, those are usually reserved for ultra-high-end players nowadays). Hope this helps.
  • holy thread revival, batman...

hey, i have collected a lot of vinyl over the last few years and i don't have a record player in working order anymore. i am in the market to find a decent one. i was looking for recommendations.

I am not even sure if i want one that i can plug into my receiver and tower speakers, if i want one for PC use, or if i want a portable one with speakers inside of it. i am open to all suggestions, but i would like to try to keep it under $200 if at all possible. i am thinking it would need to have rcas for the receiver and a usb for the computer, so something with both would be cool.

there is some great info provided on here so i was looking for some input from you all.

thanks!
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • I have this one and love it. Small & simple but does the job. Can't rattle the house or anything but pretty decent volume for internal speakers. And it does have a USB if you want to convert your vinyl to digital. It's about $150.
    crosley.jpg
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • I have this one and love it. Small & simple but does the job. Can't rattle the house or anything but pretty decent volume for internal speakers. And it does have a USB if you want to convert your vinyl to digital. It's about $150.
    crosley.jpg
    thanks for the response. i was looking for one similar to that one but none of the stores i went to had them. i ended up getting a sony that has rcas and a usb cable so i can plug it in to my receiver and/or my computer. first thing i listened to yesterday on my cranked home stereo was vitalogy, and it was awesome... i am afraid that i am going to start collecting vinyl now, as if i need to collect anything else haha..
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    crosley.jpg
    thanks for the response. i was looking for one similar to that one but none of the stores i went to had them. i ended up getting a sony that has rcas and a usb cable so i can plug it in to my receiver and/or my computer. first thing i listened to yesterday on my cranked home stereo was vitalogy, and it was awesome... i am afraid that i am going to start collecting vinyl now, as if i need to collect anything else haha..
    dude...I have only had this since xmas and I've bought about 40 albums already (including Vitaolgy). It's a dangerous thing. Enjoy!!!!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    You guys are so screwed :D:lol::D:lol:

I just wish you all the best in your new found glory.

I started collecting vinyl in 2001 and bought a cheap old turntable (you'll find that's what audiophiles refer to them more commonly as, rather than record players) with two cabinet speakers from a pawn shop all for $50. Spun vinyl on that 70's RadioShack Clarinette special like a MO-FO for 12 years until I started researching more about turntables and becoming an audiophile. I've since sold that unit. It also began spinning my vinyl slower than what it should have, and believe me that is SO BAD for your vinyl when you start pushing / pressing, even the slightest; read this article as it's invaluable. http://www.harryshifi.com/images/vinyl_tutorial.pdf

My collection is now near 400 vinyl (not including nearly 100 45's) and I've been saving for an entire home entertainment unit which will include:

Turntable (either a Pro-Ject Genie, Rega RP-3, Clear Audio Emotion, Denton... so many choices)
    Receiver (Moon)
    Speakers (Bowers & Wilkins)
    Power Cables

If you're interested, here are some cool links.

http://performermag.com/2011/11/10/ster ... -a-budget/
    http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/10- ... ust-599253
    http://www.insound.com/
    http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk/turntables/
    http://www.roksan.co.uk/

It's a wild world. Enjoy the vinyl ladies 'n germs. ;)
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!