Building my kids a treehouse -- updated with pics

Travels WithTravels With Posts: 580
edited August 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Awhile ago I posted picks of a tree house I was building my kids. That's these pics.
http://picasaweb.google.com/maddock.scott/TreeHouse?feat=directlink

About two weeks ago I mixed about 9 old paint cans (they came with the house when I bought it -- no worries no lead based) and Jack and Lucy, my kids, painted it(with a little help from their dad). It now has a trap door, a tire swing, and a fresh coat of paint. Many of you gave me ideas and input. I greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Here are some pictures of my kids painting themselves....and getting some paint on the tree house. :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/maddock.scott/TreeHouse#
“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited September 2009
    Hey man,
    I'm not a parent, but I have to say that I think whatever you create will be something your son will cherish. Building a treehouse for him has got to be by far one of the coolest gestures from a father.

Have fun with it man, and post pictures!

EDIT: Sorry, didn't really notice that you said kids, not son. :)
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • depends on the kind of tree, it seems... but there's an awesome photo book called
    Treehouses of the World
    very inspirational... i've always thought it would be fun to have one look a little like a boat...
    and multiple levels or platforms
    yeah, post pictures, if can
  • Here is a website about treehouses that looks pretty cool 8-)http://www.thetreehouseguide.com/

Also, make sure that you don't need a permit to construct one in your area and that your neighbours, if you have any, are okay with the construction noise (see article below) :? ;):D

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... uling.html

Pirate ship tree house sunk by court ruling
    Last Updated: Friday, July 18, 2008 | 5:21 PM PT
    CBC News

The ship-shaped tree house, built in 2006, must come down within 90 days, provincial court Judge Connie Bagnall ruled on Friday. (CBC)

A tree house that has delighted children but dismayed Vancouver city hall must come down, a judge ruled Friday.

The structure, shaped like a pirate ship and perched high in a cedar tree in the front yard of a Kerrisdale home, has been the focus of a two-year bylaw battle.

It all began in 2006 when a neighbour, who felt the tree house was too close to the property line, complained to the city. That led to a visit by city building inspectors, who said the structure was so large it needed a building permit to remain aloft.

Andrew Dewberry, an architect who designed and built the structure for his two sons, applied for a permit but was denied permission. When the city ordered him to dismantle the tree house, he refused, arguing it wasn't a structure, like a garden shed, that should require a permit, and that his tree house was being targeted, while others were left alone.

The battle came to a close in a Vancouver courtroom on Friday, when provincial court Judge Connie Bagnall ordered Dewberry and his wife, Jayne Seagrave, to take the structure down within 90 days and fined them each $250.

The judge "focused on the legal charge of failure to comply rather than the more philosophical charge of whether the tree house should be there," Dewberry said after the ruling was issued.

"The court of public opinion is on our side, [but] we are law-abiding citizens and we want to make sure we follow the law and the tree fort will come down."

In her ruling, Judge Bagnall said she admired the couple for their incredible dedication to their children, but wondered aloud whether deliberately disobeying the law set a good example for their children.

Seagrave was unapologetic outside court. "I think you have to say what we say to our children: This is what the city believes and this is what we believe, and we're taking it to the courts to find out who's right."

Dewberry said the tree house will be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

"Any monies collected from that will be sent to whichever charity we finally decide. It will be a children's charity associated, we think, with play, so that's the route we'll take. We'll try to draw something good again out of this experience."

A spokesman for the city said the two-year battle might have been avoided had the couple done a better job of consulting neighbours.

"The reason we got involved in this matter is due to a neighbour's complaint," Jennifer Young said. "We're not out there actively looking for tree forts. We got involved because the structure was too close to the neighbour's house and they complained."
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    So among teaching, working on my Masters, and generally enjoying my family I have started to build my kids a treehouse (turns out it"s very therapeutic). I have a couple of ideas but am definitely a novice in the field. I would love some creative ideas on things to incorporate. Right now my boy is about 4 but he's pretty excited about what I have so far...I want it to be something he can grow up with... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

That is the coolest thing EVER to do for your kids! I've wanted a tree house ever since I was 5! :mrgreen: Someday :D

As far as decorating, you probably wont have to "upgrade" much if you stay away from using characters. just stick with basic stuff like pirates or cars or spaceship stuff instead of batman or spongebob you know? either way, PLEASE post pics when u complete the task! :D

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    that is awesome that you are doing this for your kids.

they could grow in this :D

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... %26hl%3Den
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    That is such a cool thing to do for your kids ..... they will get so much more from a tree house than the now typical kids entertrainment of xbox etc ..... fantastic of you .... have a ball and watch your kids imagination blossom.
    Please post pics through the process and when done.
    Good luck :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Wow! Thanks for all the encouragement, websites, and input. I've got a big Madrone tree that I'm working with. My plan is to definitely stick with the typical pirate, adventure, outdoors theme (I'll stay away from the cartoon/superheroes). I figure once the structure is up I'll let my kids make it their own. I am toying with the idea of adding a fireman's pole for quick exits -- I just haven't figured that one out yet.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Wow! Thanks for all the encouragement, websites, and input. I've got a big Madrone tree that I'm working with. My plan is to definitely stick with the typical pirate, adventure, outdoors theme (I'll stay away from the cartoon/superheroes). I figure once the structure is up I'll let my kids make it their own. I am toying with the idea of adding a fireman's pole for quick exits -- I just haven't figured that one out yet.

A fireman's pole! :o :shock: :P That is freakin awesome. Definitely add that if you can (hopefully it won't increase your liability insurance). Not meaning to be negative, it's just that society can be so litigious, especially in the US. I want a tree-house now :oops: :D
  • tacettacet Posts: 323
    Very cool that you're doing this just remember safety first.
    As for the fireman's pole, that is something you may want to install
    in the bedroom so you and the Mrs. can have some fun while the chillens are in the
    treehouse.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Tree houses rule. What a great dad you are.
  • SS25454 wrote:
    Very cool that you're doing this just remember safety first.
    As for the fireman's pole, that is something you may want to install
    in the bedroom so you and the Mrs. can have some fun while the chillens are in the
    treehouse.

Done!
  • I wave to all my friends.......
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Up here in my tree, yeah
    Newspapers matter not to me, yeah
    No more crowbars to my head, yeah
    I'm trading stories with the leaves instead, yeah

Wave to all my friends, yeah
    They don't seem to notice me, no
    All their eyes trained on the street, yo, oh
    Sidewalk cigarettes and scenes, (tem-pted)
    Up here so high I start to shake
    Up here so high the sky I scrape
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest
    Just like innocence

(Eddie's down in his home)
    (Oh, the blue sky it's his home)
    (Eddie's blue sky home)
    (Oh, the blue sky it's his home)

I remember when, yeah
    I swore I knew everything, oh yeah
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah
    It's growing up just like me, yeah
    I'm so light the wind he shakes
    I'm so high the sky I scrape
    I'm so light I hold just one breath and go back to my nest
    Sleep with innocence...

Up here so high the boughs they break
    Up here so high the sky I scrape
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
    Baby got it, still got it

I couldn't resist, sorry. I was just listening to that while riding my bike.

That's really cool. I had a tree fort growing up and we had a sun roof that you could pop your head through that was fun. Kinda like a terrace. You could always make it a theme that you both like, such as baseball, Pearl Jam, Nascar, Pearl Jam or even Pearl Jam. Keep a weekly log on this as I think a lot of us are interested in the progress.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    the wolf wrote:
    that is awesome that you are doing this for your kids.

they could grow in this :D

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... %26hl%3Den

Forget a mortgage! ;)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • updated some pics of the treehouse on my original post. My family are the good looking ones. I'm the dork in the Target PJ shirt :)
  • Awesome....

Just awesome..........................................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Wow!!! I'm impressed! I wasn't expecting something that good at all!!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Holy Shit Bro ! that is looking good !!

Awesome Job ! Awesome dad !

keep up the good work, in both !

-steve
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • very ambitious
  • Looks like the kiddies are gonna love it. Great job! :D
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    You're the coolest dad ever!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    updated some pics of the treehouse on my original post. My family are the good looking ones. I'm the dork in the Target PJ shirt :)

don't think that's a treehouse, mate.

looks more like a treemansion. :D

very cool indeed! I always wanted a treehouse, but there was never really anyplace to build one. :| but I still turned out alright.

way to do mr Cool-Dad! 8-)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    My whole life I have wanted nothing more than to live in a bad ass tree house in a redwood forest somewhere, hehe. I have no advice for you, only envy for your children :)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Sweeeeeet....just the DirecTV and all is well 8-) :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • So among teaching, working on my Masters, and generally enjoying my family I have started to build my kids a treehouse (turns out it"s very therapeutic). I have a couple of ideas but am definitely a novice in the field. I would love some creative ideas on things to incorporate. Right now my boy is about 4 but he's pretty excited about what I have so far...I want it to be something he can grow up with... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here are some pics of the progress so far. It's coming along slowly but I've found that a hammer, a saw, and backspacer in the background to be very therapeutic. I couldn't really figure out how to embed the photos in this link so hopefully this method works.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/maddock.scott/TreeHouse?feat=directlink

wow, i am already deeply impressed!
    a bi-level treehouse!
    sure, i've seen those fantastical treehouses in books/magazines, but one made by an 'average family guy'.....yea, good going! i am also equally impressed by wherever the hell you live, quite backyard! 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Here are the pics of the tree house being painted.

http://picasaweb.google.com/maddock.scott/TreeHouse#
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    very cool treehouse...I'm sure your kids are having a blast playing in it
  • Dude that is awesome.

I have 2 boys, 7 & 5, they so want a treehouse.

I think the time has come!

We are fortunate like you to have woods in the backyard.

Excellent work. Since my boys are a bit older in my plans is a zip line.

Time to research.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Nice work!! You're a great dad!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • Dude that is awesome.

I have 2 boys, 7 & 5, they so want a treehouse.

I think the time has come!

We are fortunate like you to have woods in the backyard.

Excellent work. Since my boys are a bit older in my plans is a zip line.

Time to research.

The zip line idea is great! I would love to do one eventually.... my wife won't let me just yet. Have fun. I have had so much fun with my kids coming up with ideas on what to do next.