Need advice on a snoring spouse

dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Love my spouse but can't stand the snoring!! Ear plugs don't work, the couch is uncomfortable. What to do?
It's nice to be nice to the nice.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dasvidana wrote:
    Love my spouse but can't stand the snoring!! Ear plugs don't work, the couch is uncomfortable. What to do?
    Have your spouse take a sleep test and see if he/she can get a CPAP machine.
    NERDS!
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    The CPAP is the best thing to do. You could bring him to an ENT and they can laser off his uvula or shave his soft palate. Sometimes that works, but recovery can be painful for a few days. Also, he will have some swelling and may snore worse for a few weeks.
    Go the trusted true route, do a snoring evaluation and find out if he has sleep apnea. It's very common and a silent killer. Maybe he only snores and doesn't have apnea, but best to know anyway. Good luck!

I said "he" but I mean he or she :D
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    make them sleep in a vacuum.

no need to thank me.

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    When you find out let me know. Apparently I sound like a troll farting in a tunnel.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Yeah im a terrible snorer too. Id love to stop, but have never looked into how to do that!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    not sure if this applies to your husband but my friend's husband has a magic weight ... if he drops below 215 he doesn't snore ... if your husband is overweight - try and get him to lose some weight ...
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    Thanks for all the advice-I should have come to you all sooner!!

My husband has now asked for a referral for a sleep study (is that the same thing as a snoring study?).
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Tape a tennis ball to his back..simple, effective and cheap ;) ..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Oh how I sympathise :cry: :?

My beautiful heart sounds like a 747 taking off,the bed shakes with the sound rattling through his chest,then he goes deathly quiet and I think he has stopped breathing which completely freaks me out.
    I go from wanting to kick him out of bed to shaking him because I think he is dead :o:o

I usually shake him and tell him he's snoring and he rolls over,which eases it a bit,he used those nasal strip things too,breathright? not exactly a great look,and it hasn't totally stopped his 747 impression,but it has made my nights a little quieter.

The funny thing is that I miss his snoring so much when he's not here .... so really he can't win :lol:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    dasvidana wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice-I should have come to you all sooner!!

My husband has now asked for a referral for a sleep study (is that the same thing as a snoring study?).
    Sounds like the same thing. My husband went to the ENT and they are setting him up with the sleep study. Would love it if they could figure it out.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i used to bear hug my girl in my sleep..she would have preferred i just snored

my dad had a huge snoring problem so they burned off his uvula

worked perfect.. he really was awful before now nothing.
  • Just give 'em a karate chop to the breadbasket.

karate-monkey-conficker.jpg
  • This was me a while back. I did the sleep study, and had severe apnea. Instead of wearing a machine on my face for the rest of my life, i opted for the surgery.

It has helped immensely. Losing weight will also contribute to a decrease in snoring. I still breathe a bit funny but don't snore anymore. In the last 3 months I've snored less than 5 times (all due to excessive alchohol intake).

Coming out of surgery is not fun...the recovery took me about 2 weeks before I could swallow solid food without discomfort. I was back to work after 10 days. The liquid percocet was nice, but after a week it started to burn my throat so I had to switch to the pills. Not too bad.

My diet consisted of jello, ice chips, and yogurt. The medicine made me lose weight dramatically, and I never felt hungry. Again, this is what happened to me and it was very successful.
    I love to turn you on
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    The PureSleep mouthpiece works pretty well.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    polaris_x wrote:
    not sure if this applies to your husband but my friend's husband has a magic weight ... if he drops below 215 he doesn't snore ... if your husband is overweight - try and get him to lose some weight ...
    This helps immensely. The sleep number bed also worked for my hubby. He hasn't snored since we got it. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    In the old days when Grandparents were still alive my grandpa used to wake my grandma up and say Turn Over Mary. I hear her turning over to her side did the trick.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • My husband had a sleep study but his insurance wouldn't pay for a CPAP machine. Losing weight was out because he already looks like a string bean. So it's been frustrating.

To complicate things, I snore too. I'm thinking about having a sleep study because I want to be sure it isn't from sleep apnea.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    If the snoring wasn't so bad maybe the CPAP wasn't required?

F'n insurance sucks. Thats why everyone hates it. We won't pay for your sleeping machine because we have too much insurance fraud.....Really makes me mad.....fuckers.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Just give 'em a karate chop to the breadbasket.

karate-monkey-conficker.jpg

:)
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    honey? is that you?
  • I use a CPAP machine every night; can't sleep without it.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • I slept in the basement on an air mattress for 3 years because of my snoring. did a sleep study with all these fucking wires tangling me up all night. it found that I "didn't snore". BULLSHIT. Even I've woken myself up with my own snoring.

then I saw an ad for the Snore Guard. Took a chance, two years have gone by and I've been back in bed ever since.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i snore more when i drink
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • where u live??

at some states is legal to buy a ak-47.... :roll:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • 81 wrote:
    i snore more when i drink
    i think everyone as well
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    sew a tennis ball into his or her pajama bottom back pocket
  • rollings wrote:
    sew a tennis ball into his or her pajama bottom back pocket
    :lol: