Josh Modell (critic) CRAZY!

WickedJeremyWickedJeremy Posts: 229
edited August 2009 in The Porch
http://www.spin.com/node/53240

Josh Modell of Spin must have a nutjob perspective. He talks about PJ as if they have been belly up on some muddy floor wallowing for creatvity or something. I thought this review was very naive. Seems like he is judging them based on radio play as if that means anything in today music scene!

-Jeremy
-Jeremy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LOITERINGLOITERING Posts: 120
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the post. However, I didn't think the review was that bad at all, and to each there own anyways.

Full text below:

Pearl Jam, 'Backspacer' (Monkeywrench)
    Ed Ved and the crew crank up the carpe diem to 11.

Conventional wisdom marks 2006’s Pearl Jam as the grunge outfit’s reignition point after years without a spark. If that’s true, then the first three songs on their ninth full-length are the explosion at the end of an extremely long fuse. The band hasn’t put together a trifecta this energized and from-the-gut in a decade, and though the rest of Backspacer doesn’t match that opening salvo, it has a terrific time trying.

“Gonna See My Friend,” “Got Some,” and “The Fixer” nearly upend each other rushing out the gate, exploiting Pearl Jam’s leanest, punkest tendencies. And those traits carry through the album’s 36 minutes. No time to waste and Obama in the White House mean no political bellyaching, so when Eddie Vedder pulls out that indignant yet inclusive snarl and proclaims, “When something’s gone, I wanna fight to get it back again,” you can probably assume “it” is his band’s mojo.

Even the requisite restrained ballads feel renewed: “The End” finds Vedder channeling Cat Stevens, backed by a string and brass ensemble. Then there’s the towering anthem “Amongst the Waves,” which could bring “Alive” fans back to the fold. It even expands on that song’s theme, moving from grudging survival to jubilant exuberance (“I’ve put away my early grave”). For the first time in years, Pearl Jam are seizing the moment rather than wallowing in it.

By Josh Modell
    Post edited by LOITERING on
    10/02/04 - Toledo, OH
    09/12/05 - London, ON
    05/19/06 - Grand Rapids, MI
    06/27/08 - Hartford, CT; 06/28/08 - Mansfield, MA
    08/21/08 - Chicago, IL (EV); 08/22/08 - Chicago, IL (EV)
    10/07/09 - Los Angeles, CA; 10/09/09 - San Diego, CA
    05/06/10 - Columbus, OH; 05/07/10 - Noblesville, IN
    06/26/11 - Detroit, MI (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/14 - Detroit, MI
    08/20/16 - Chicago, IL; 08/22/16 - Chicago, IL
    08/13/18 - Missoula, MT

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724

Josh Modell of Spin must have a nutjob perspective. He talks about PJ as if they have been belly up on some muddy floor wallowing for creatvity or something. I thought this review was very naive. Seems like he is judging them based on radio play as if that means anything in today music scene!

-Jeremy

what the hell are you talking about?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213

-Jeremy

what the hell are you talking about?
    LOITERING wrote:

Conventional wisdom marks 2006’s Pearl Jam as the grunge outfit’s reignition point after years without a spark.

By Josh Modell

Sounds like the reviewer is saying everything they did between Yield and S/T sucked.
  • LOITERINGLOITERING Posts: 120
    chris32482 wrote:
    Sounds like the reviewer is saying everything they did between Yield and S/T sucked.

I think some of the members on the board might be under the same impression. But everyone has their own opinion.
    10/02/04 - Toledo, OH
    09/12/05 - London, ON
    05/19/06 - Grand Rapids, MI
    06/27/08 - Hartford, CT; 06/28/08 - Mansfield, MA
    08/21/08 - Chicago, IL (EV); 08/22/08 - Chicago, IL (EV)
    10/07/09 - Los Angeles, CA; 10/09/09 - San Diego, CA
    05/06/10 - Columbus, OH; 05/07/10 - Noblesville, IN
    06/26/11 - Detroit, MI (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/14 - Detroit, MI
    08/20/16 - Chicago, IL; 08/22/16 - Chicago, IL
    08/13/18 - Missoula, MT

• chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213
    LOITERING wrote:
    chris32482 wrote:

I think some of the members on the board might be under the same impression. But everyone has their own opinion.

:lol: Yeah I've noticed that. Riot Act consistently ranks at the bottom of most album order lists. Personally I love all their albums equally-- including RA and Binaural. I could never rank them. My favorite changes from day to day.
  • I think, and I am being very general here, that most pj fans who were fans before Binaural and Riot Act came out, so pre-2000, see the albums since Yield as not as strong.

Anyways, it is just a stupid talking point that reviewers use.
  • I just cannot find musicians who put so much poetry and intelligence in such a masterful way as Pearl Jam does. I rank them on par with Zeppelin and consider Binarual one of the best albums ever written far exceeding their previous work and then to read words like this guy wrote, well, it just blew me away. He seemed completely out of the loop to me.

Riot Act may be "weak" in comparison to other PJ albums, but it still shines brightly. It reflected the mood of the era appropriately. There is so much more to this band that I think many people can realize. I.e. the way a trailing vocal melody will complement the approaching riffs and movements. It is a mathematical and tidal work of art that has not been found to be missing since the first track of Ten.

I respect the idea of it being the critics opinion. But I expect a critic to have a good, well-informed opinion.

"Conventional wisdom marks 2006’s Pearl Jam as the grunge outfit’s reignition point after years without a spark". After years without a spark?! This is not opinion, this is meant to be fact. If he is defining "spark" as radio recognition, then I'll give him that. But radio means next to nothing in today's musical world. It has become a formulated cash machine pumping out clone music. And, as stated above, you cannot call what PJ is doing sparkless.

He sums up with "For the first time in years, Pearl Jam are seizing the moment rather than wallowing in it." What in the heck does that mean? In what way has Pearl Jam wallowed in the moment and why do we need to resurrect Alive fans? This was music from PJ's infancy. These fans were the light when PJ were but stones and their light made them stars. I just don't understand how they could be taken away but days just disappear.

His review in general was fine, I'm not his every word is crazy. But it is obvious he hasn't been on the PJ wagon all this time to truely know what is going on, that's all.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    -Jeremy
  • Then again, I hang on every song and one could say I have biases toward Pearl Jam (I see that as a good thing though ;) FOR ME, each song is miles above almost any other song I hear (within a broad genre scope, of course, but still within a catagorizable and dynamic, comparable spectrum). You see what I mean! LOL!

Chicago, two nights just around the bend! YEAH!!!

-Jeremy
    -Jeremy
  • Didn't think this was bad review at all.

Much more interesting to hear what someone who is objective has to say over someone who tends to be just another passionate fanboy.
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    Long story short, this review does not offend me.

Riot Act and Binaural are my 2 favorite PJ albums to listen to from beginning to end. They don't necessarily have the memorable anthemic individual songs that their earlier works had, but, to me, there is something about the atmosphere/mood created by both albums that flows throughout them that none of the other studio albums have...

With that being said, Riot Act and Binaural are also probably the 2 hardest PJ albums to get into, so I can understand what the reviewer is saying. Most of their other albums hit you over the head and then kick your ass right from the get go. They demand your attention, and, in doing so, come across as user friendly. These 2 albums are different. They both took me many listens to really appreciate the quality of music. To expect everyone, especially occasional listeners, to appreciate 2 of the band's most anti-casual-fan albums as works of art is silly.

As for the people on this board, the casual fans, or the reviewers who think Riot Act and, to a lesser degree Binaural, suck, I say to each their own. They're both kind of hard to access albums with a different sound that seem to divide even the most rabid fans. The reviewer doesn't seem to think Binaural and Riot Act were very good. He's certainly not alone in that opinion. I think he's off base, but again, to each their own.
    Glorified version of a pelican