Options

Festival Vs Show

se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
edited February 2008 in The Porch
how does seeing pearl jam at a fest differ from seeing them at a reqular show??? Is there less energy due to less hard core fans?? Just trying to get a feel
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    se7v7en wrote:
    how does seeing pearl jam at a fest differ from seeing them at a reqular show??? Is there less energy due to less hard core fans?? Just trying to get a feel
    ive been to quite a few shows....dozens...

the best time i had at a pearl jam concert????

lolla 07

a festival........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    se7v7en wrote:

that would be my reasoning for not going speedy. i would just rather go to a PJ show, then a fest. with a bunch of other bands i have little or no desire to see. and its not even the bands, moreso the fans of said bands.

its all good though.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,008

lolla 07

a festival........
    just out of curiosity, how many shows have you been to? go ahead and blow my mind!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Outdoor shows are my favorite.

But Lolla was fun.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812

lolla 07

a festival........

Yeah, but explain why ;)

We were with tons of great friends that made the show what it was - crowd surfing kick in the face fun! But from the original poster's standpoint, she/he may be asking more about the show itself rather than the overall show/experience

I'm not disagreeing with you, but maybe reminding we've been fortunate enough to get to the point of wanting the experience with the show as the icing on the cake. Different time line of attendance kinda thing..

Experiences.. Lolla & Randall's Island '96 & the Gorge were awesome..

Shows.. HoB and Grand Rapids were phenomenal :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    just out of curiosity, how many shows have you been to? go ahead and blow my mind!
    more than some.....less than others....

lets see if i can do this.....

chicago 94
    chicago 94
    chicago 98
    alpine 98
    alpine 98
    chicago 00
    alpine 03
    philly 03
    philly 03
    bridge 03
    bridge 03
    santa barbara 03
    toledo 04
    grand rapids 04
    kissimmee 04
    calgary 05
    london 05
    kitchener 05
    hamilton 05
    chicago 05
    chicago 06
    grand rapids o6
    cleveland 06
    philly 06
    philly 06
    cincy 06
    bridge 06
    bridge 06
    lolla 07

yeah....its a disease.....hehehehehehe
  • Options
    i thought the energy at lolla was incredible! granted, i was first row so i was surrounded by hardcore fans... but i heard from friends that were farther back that it was pretty sweet too...

you can tell the band was pumped to be playing in front of such a HUGE crowd so i think their energy was high too...

and they really didnt just play your standard "greatest hits" set like many people thought... maybe a lil more hesitant to throw in rarities, but you know that regardless of what they play its gonna be a great time...

my only bit of advice is that if youre gonna camp out all day to get first row definitely stay hydrated and try to sneak a sandwich or something in so you dont die by the end of the day
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    Yeah, but explain why ;)

We were with tons of great friends that made the show what it was - crowd surfing kick in the face fun! But from the original poster's standpoint, she/he may be asking more about the show itself rather than the overall show/experience

I'm not disagreeing with you, but maybe reminding we've been fortunate enough to get to the point of wanting the experience with the show as the icing on the cake. Different time line of attendance kinda thing..

Experiences.. Lolla & the Gorge were awesome..

Shows.. HoB and Grand Rapids were phenomenal :)
    well....

when we all go to the shows ......we are all sitting with are certain "friend" since we are only given the 2 ticket option......and thats fun....and its all about "the show"......

sitting at lolla with 10-15 people i have met/talked to here over the years ......and seeing everyones reaction to certain songs......sharing smokes...drinks...bongs...etc....during the show was fucking classic.........just being surrounded by 10-15 cool people was what made lolla the best time ive had......

it was a different experience.......

bonnaroo will be the same....
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    Outdoor shows are my favorite.

But Lolla was fun.

mine too. hot, cold, raining, snowing...i don't care.

just something about seeing the band outside that
    makes it more fun....more of an event.

i enjoy the festival atmosphere for the same reason.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    well....

when we all go to the shows ......we are all sitting with are certain "friend" since we are only given the 2 ticket option......and thats fun....and its all about "the show"......

sitting at lolla with 10-15 people i have met/talked to here over the years ......and seeing everyones reaction to certain songs......sharing smokes...drinks...bongs...etc....during the show was fucking classic.........just being surrounded by 10-15 cool people was what made lolla the best time ive had......

it was a different experience.......

bonnaroo will be the same....
    you were able to sneak a bong into lolla?!? they wouldnt even let me keep my PB&J!

• Options
    mine too. hot, cold, raining, snowing...i don't care.

just something about seeing the band outside that
    makes it more fun....more of an event.

i enjoy the festival atmosphere for the same reason.

The middle of the field was fun at Lolla. Glad I ran into a friend. It made the rest of the show better hanging out with someone. :D
  • Options
    i prefer festivals.

1. other great bands i love are there. (lolla had practically all my favorite bands, but even if there are only 3 or 4, i'm more than happy).

2. I can go with my non pj worshipping friends and have a good time.

3. not so many PJ cultists. :) kidding
  • Options
    more than some.....less than others....

lets see if i can do this.....

chicago 94
    chicago 94
    chicago 98
    alpine 98
    alpine 98
    chicago 00
    alpine 03
    philly 03
    philly 03
    bridge 03
    bridge 03
    santa barbara 03
    toledo 04
    grand rapids 04
    kissimmee 04
    calgary 05
    london 05
    kitchener 05
    hamilton 05
    chicago 05
    chicago 06
    grand rapids o6
    cleveland 06
    philly 06
    philly 06
    cincy 06
    bridge 06
    bridge 06
    lolla 07

yeah....its a disease.....hehehehehehe
    Ah.
    I see yours is as big as mine, my friend.
    ;)

Glad ya'll had fun at at Lolla.
    Not sure it would've been my cup of tea.
    Although, if Mop is correct, sounds like it was more about "family" than the show.

I know from the experiences in NL last year, that festivals are not my favorite place to actualy see the band. Not even close.

But if you are with a good group of compatriots, i'm sure it still kicks ass.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854

lolla 07

a festival........

completly agree,

I've been to 15, my fav was lolla, and ive been to irving the the vic.

Any GA show you get the most hard core fans waiting for the front (including me) and there's more enegry up front cuz of it. You might get more of a greatest hits setlist at festivals but you get more energy too. And you avoid the ppl complaining about the ppl in front at shows that just stand there.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj wrote:
    completly agree,

I've been to 15, my fav was lolla, and ive been to irving the the vic.

Any GA show you get the most hard core fans waiting for the front (including me) and there's more enegry up front cuz of it. You might get more of a greatest hits setlist at festivals but you get more energy too. And you avoid the ppl complaining about the ppl in front at shows that just stand there.
    i dont get how anyone could possibly just stand there with great seats... after 2 front row shows in one week last year (vic and lolla) i was blown away!!! i was making eye contact with my fuckin heroes and i think they could see how happy i was to be there and they were definitely acknowledging the insane amount of energy i had!!! i dont know how im ever gonna be able to go back to my regular 10C seats.... hopefully i can find some friends with good #s :D

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i dont get how anyone could possibly just stand there with great seats... after 2 front row shows in one week last year (vic and lolla) i was blown away!!! i was making eye contact with my fuckin heroes and i think they could see how happy i was to be there and they were definitely acknowledging the insane amount of energy i had!!! i dont know how im ever gonna be able to go back to my regular 10C seats.... hopefully i can find some friends with good #s :D

that's my plan too, my 10C seats aren't terrible but aren't great either usually 15-30 rows depending, Man i'm spoiled!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj wrote:
    that's my plan too, my 10C seats aren't terrible but aren't great either usually 15-30 rows depending, Man i'm spoiled!
    yah im 311xxx so im lucky to even get floor... get some pretty decent side seats sometimes that arent too far... but i was SOOOO CLOSE at the vic and lolla that i could actually make eye contact with everyone, catch pics, and catch matt's wristband! SO SPOILED! :D

i should just try going to some less popular venues to see how my # fairs...