Options

Gonna See My Friend

Comments

• Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    MrSmith wrote:

Sounds like STP.........?

This album is going to have some very different songs. So far there isn't a single song that sounds anything alike.

My thoughts exactly! Like something off STP's no 4. Sounds great to me!

i thought that album was awesome....i liked it very much
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    HOLY MACAREL that sounds fuckin heavy!!
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    what is STP?!?!

P.S. love the snippet
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    what is STP?!?!

P.S. love the snippet
    Stone Temple Pilots.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    The Great CornholioThe Great Cornholio Posts: 157
    edited August 2009
    yep def does have that STP vibe to it and also a bit of a nirvana - bleach sound as well, i think. cool.
    ...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    what is STP?!?!

P.S. love the snippet
    A motor oil company.
  • Options
    ThecrownofthornsThecrownofthorns Posts: 319
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, definitely sounds like STP, but it is AMAZING

Edit: Didn't mean to say influenced!
    Post edited by Thecrownofthorns on
  • Options
    todd1974todd1974 Posts: 69
    Yeah, definitely influenced by STP, but it sounds AMAZING

To say it sounds like STP is one thing, but "influenced by STP" is another. I can't imagine Ed intentionally trying to sound like that guy...not to mention that when STP first came out, there were countless comparisons to pearl jam.

It's a coincidence at best. They have similar sounding voices.
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586

Impossible
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    yeah it wouldn't have been intentional the same type of sound. Great song but I hear more soundgarden or Nirvana than that horrid band STP anyway.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,840
    Zoso wrote:
    yeah it wouldn't have been intentional the same type of sound. Great song but I hear more soundgarden or Nirvana than that horrid band STP anyway.

I happen to love STP..........
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    lol

Used the wrong word to describe what I heard :P Re-edited my post to reflect it.
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    Tiny Music and Number 4 happen to be amazing records! STP is a really good band. I'd take them over Soundgarden.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    That sounds brilliant, and has caught my attention more than any other song yet.

I would hope that the album version of Got Some kicks the live versions ass....cos the live one was rusty and not as heavy as i thought it would sound.

gotta say Im loving the difference in all the songs so far....a lot of the Avocado stuff sounded alike to me...
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    Zoso wrote:
    Tiny Music and Number 4 happen to be amazing records! STP is a really good band. I'd take them over Soundgarden.

Yeah I like STP myself..but I don't think saying PJ was influenced by STP in any way is accurate. Whoever Nirvana and Alice in Chains were influenced by is more of a safe bet.
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Wow, that is VERY STP-ish....

wait . . . i thought STP was suppose to be very PJ-ish . . . so PJ is emulating STP who is emulating PJ who is emulating STP. Oh . . . this is one of those circular ideas ;-)
  • Options
    I see no problem at all with it sounding a bit STP-ish. Both STP and PJ are excellent bands. And this song, like the others, also sounds to have kick ass potential....

I hate when people overuse the word "grunge" to describe these guys, but man, this song sounds GRUNGE! Nothin' wrong with that either! ;)
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I prefer the rolling stone review of a more iggy pop type sound myself. I just thought the STP rode the coat tails of Pearl Jam and Nirvana but that's only my opinion. It does sound grungy in a way also.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    This will be a good song live. This album is shaping up superbly.
  • Options
    I'm holding off listening to the clip (don't want to spoil the album) but there's nothing wrong with sounding like STP. They went glammy and weird on their last couple albums but "Purple" and "Tiny Music" in particular are great rock records. DeLeo can shred and riff with the best of them.

Weren't those STP albums produced by BOB as well? It makes sense that a heavier song from PJ would sound similar then.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Zoso wrote:
    I prefer the rolling stone review of a more iggy pop type sound myself. I just thought the STP rode the coat tails of Pearl Jam and Nirvana but that's only my opinion. It does sound grungy in a way also.

I hear your point, but it sounds more like latter-day STP than the early stuff.
  • Options
    TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Hmmm...Had higher hopes going into this clip....Oh well its only 15 seconds maybe the toher two minutes will be better.... Unfortunatley the first backspacer clip that hasnt caught my attention.
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    todd1974 wrote:

To say it sounds like STP is one thing, but "influenced by STP" is another. I can't imagine Ed intentionally trying to sound like that guy...not to mention that when STP first came out, there were countless comparisons to pearl jam.

It's a coincidence at best. They have similar sounding voices.

In STP's video for Plush, Scott Weiland's making the old Eddie Vedder face.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    They did ride the coat tails to Pearl Jam and Nirvana at first. His vocals even imitated Eddie and he was accused of it, but unlike Scott Stapp of Creed, Scott Weiland admitted he was a big fan of Pearl Jam. Stone Temple Pilots music also evolved and they steared away from the grunge, hard rock sound. If you haven't heard Tiny Music, check it out! It came out about the same time No Code did or right before. No. 4 is a great album too!
  • Options
    chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213
    Zoso wrote:

Stone Temple Pilots own Nirvana.
  • Options
    chris32482 wrote:
    Zoso wrote:

Stone Temple Pilots own Nirvana.
    I agree. I never got into Nirvana, but was a huge STP, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden fan, but liked STP the best. They were my second favorite behind Pearl Jam... This thread has me listening to Tiny Music right now for the first time in about 10 years.. brilliant album!
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Zoso wrote:
    They did ride the coat tails to Pearl Jam and Nirvana at first. His vocals even imitated Eddie and he was accused of it, but unlike Scott Stapp of Creed, Scott Weiland admitted he was a big fan of Pearl Jam. Stone Temple Pilots music also evolved and they steared away from the grunge, hard rock sound. If you haven't heard Tiny Music, check it out! It came out about the same time No Code did or right before. No. 4 is a great album too!

Actually Weiland was singing like that before PJ came about. If you listen to the Mighty Joe Young demo, which pre-dates PJ, he sounds exactly the same - they were both influenced by Jim Morrison, I think that's where the similarity comes from. The fact is, STP were probably signed and promoted more because their sound beared a resemblance to PJ and the other 'grunge' bands.

I do agree though, Tiny Music is a wicked record!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    Haha, remember when they gave us a snippet of WorldWide Suicide, and everyone thought it sounded like the Offspring?

And it doesnt, when you hear the whole song.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Just gonna say... I called it.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Excellent point about The Offspring, I had forgotten how bothered I was thinking WWSsounded like that song of theirs, but it didn't after awhile. I hear Dumb Love by STP in this, but I think the quality of the clip leaves a lot to be desired, and it is just a clip. Sounds freakin' awesome though!