Bass Guitar Advice

sensisensi Posts: 73
edited September 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello...I'm not new more of a returning previous poster...but I would like to ask for advice on bass guitars.

My youngest son is 16 next month and he's asked for a bass guitar...he's already got a bog standard electric guitar and a keyboard but he's decided he wants a bass now :roll: ...I don't have a clue where to start looking on the net or what to buy for a newbie...I don't want to spend a fortune because it could be a passing whim but it has to be sturdy enough to cope with being in a teenagers bedroom.

Any advice would be welcomed...I'm looking to spend about £100 - £120
It makes much more sense to live in the present tense
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chris32482chris32482 Posts: 213
    I'd start by checking out http://www.musiciansfriend.com
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'm thinking you can probably find a used Fender Precision Bass (commonly called a "P-Bass") that was made in Mexico. Not everyone ends up with a P-Bass as a bass player, but most people start out with them. I wish I could be more help, I'm not that familiar with the market for musical gear in Europe or the UK.

But I will say...

Better start saving for the drumset and recording studio that's in your future.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Depends how much you're willing to spend. I'd agree with the above poster on the 2nd hand P-bass. It'sa good place to start. There are some good quality basses out there for cheap though. My first bass was a Stingray copy and it still sounds good nearly 10 years on. It's a vintage (the company is called vintage, it's not from the 60's or anything :P) And it's served me well for years. As far as I can remember it was around £250, my memory isa little fuzzy though.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    A nice, lightly used, Mexican Fender (not Squire) P Bass is the way to go. You can find them on eBay CHEAP too. Just make sure the seller is reputable. If you buy new, you're gonna pay more than you would've a year or so ago at this time since Fender recently raised their prices on everything like 20% .
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    I used to hae a fender precission lyte bass I had set up on stage tuned drop d, but if I ever did a string, that was my back up - which i often did playing 5 nights a week and boiling the crap out of my rotasounds rather than buying new ones. They needed replacing when they broke - never before.

This is the P-Lyte

The bass was not ar pretty or classic looking as my tobaccoburst jass bass, but it was a fun and much easier bass to play. It sounded great, was nice and lite and very versitile. If you can find one, this would be a great bass to learn on and have in the kit.
  • I'm thinking you can probably find a used Fender Precision Bass (commonly called a "P-Bass") that was made in Mexico. Not everyone ends up with a P-Bass as a bass player, but most people start out with them. I wish I could be more help, I'm not that familiar with the market for musical gear in Europe or the UK.

But I will say...

Better start saving for the drumset and recording studio that's in your future.

Hold the phone, I'm not suppose to be playing a P-bass anymore? Crap I didn't get the memo! :D Just kidding.

Mexican P and J bass's used can be found for a really descent price. If not go find a Peavey. Honestly there is nothing wong with the old Milestone series.. Especially for a first bass
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Hold the phone, I'm not suppose to be playing a P-bass anymore? Crap I didn't get the memo! :D Just kidding.

Hey, Jeff has switched to playing his P-Bass more and more over the last 4 years, and I still think the P-Bass / SVT combo is the holy grail of bass tone. It's one of the reasons that recommending a P-Bass to start with is such a great idea. It may not be everyone's favorite, but if you're a bass player, you're going to encounter that tone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Hold the phone, I'm not suppose to be playing a P-bass anymore? Crap I didn't get the memo! :D Just kidding.

Hey, Jeff has switched to playing his P-Bass more and more over the last 4 years, and I still think the P-Bass / SVT combo is the holy grail of bass tone. It's one of the reasons that recommending a P-Bass to start with is such a great idea. It may not be everyone's favorite, but if you're a bass player, you're going to encounter that tone.

I was just joking with you. Jeff's P-bass SVT combo is perfect for sure. I totally agree a P-bass is a good place to start. I've spent lots of dollars buying other bass's, to only keep coming back to the P-bass no matter what.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Sean1987Sean1987 Posts: 24
    Ive been playing guitar for 8 years now but want to make the transition into bass i dont want to buy a shitty one based on my previous experience but i dont want to spend $1000 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time
  • Sean1987 wrote:
    Ive been playing guitar for 8 years now but want to make the transition into bass i dont want to buy a shitty one based on my previous experience but i dont want to spend $1000 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

It's really down to how much you really want to spend.

Well if you want an American made bass, you can get a used American Standard P Bass or a Jazz bass for $600 to $700 on the bay.

• Sean1987Sean1987 Posts: 24
    Sean1987 wrote:

It's really down to how much you really want to spend.

Well if you want an American made bass, you can get a used American Standard P Bass or a Jazz bass for $600 to $700 on the bay.

Thanks for the reply...appreciated
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I'd recommend 1 of the 3 basses from the "Classic Vibe" series of Squier.
    I have the 60 P bass and it's really great for the price (around 300 €).

have a look here:
    http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-cla ... sion-bass-’60s-bass-guitar-sonic-blue-rosewood-neck--54851
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    the P-Bass is the best place to start. Its sounds great, is durable, and isnt limited in what you play. Some basses only sound good on metal/nu-metal stuff, etc. The P-Bass is just straightforward, and you can find them everywhere. Go with that. Like the others, ive bought other basses and keep going back to my P-Bass all the time!
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    In the Backspacer sleeve it says 'jeff ament - p bass.'
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • DeLukin wrote:
    In the Backspacer sleeve it says 'jeff ament - p bass.'

"Enough Said"

• sensi wrote:
    Hello...I'm not new more of a returning previous poster...but I would like to ask for advice on bass guitars.

My youngest son is 16 next month and he's asked for a bass guitar...he's already got a bog standard electric guitar and a keyboard but he's decided he wants a bass now :roll: ...I don't have a clue where to start looking on the net or what to buy for a newbie...I don't want to spend a fortune because it could be a passing whim but it has to be sturdy enough to cope with being in a teenagers bedroom.

Any advice would be welcomed...I'm looking to spend about £100 - £120

the fender bronco may be a good bass for your son.http://www.squierguitars.com/products/i ... 0310902558
    PJ - Roskilde Festival - June 30th 2000
    PJ - Heineken Jammin' Festival - July 6 2010
    PJ - Oslo, Norway - July 9 2012
    SG - Oslo, Norway - October 17 1996