Options

**The Official Tour The Southern United States Thread**

Comments

• Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    shep wrote:

Ok, so... Anyone here feel free to jump in and correct any mis-information i'm about to give...

Prior to Katrina (yes, I'm going way back) a lot of the less-wealthy people evacuated NOLA and moved to Houston as a temporary safe location. When Katrina went nuclear and destroyed 3/4ers of the city (insert when the levee breaks here), many of these individuals pocketed their FEMA money and decided to stay in Houston... never even went back to survey the damage. They all centered in low-rent neighborhoods here in Houston where FEMA had put them up "temporarily"... their are complete sections of suburbia around here you stay the fuck away from now as a result... but I'm getting off topic....

Anyway, from what I have been told by many of the Louisianians that I work with Metairie was one of the worst hit areas, with a lot of damage and a lot of abandoned housing that has never been restored... and is subject to a lot squatters, low-lifes, etc, etc even to this day, 8-years later....

Now this may all be hearsay, but every time I'm headed to NOLA I seem to always be given the advice to not stay in Metairie if I can avoid it....

I have ALWAYS heard to stay away from Metairie. I would never stay there, and as a female traveling alone, definitely NOT.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    its just gishits just gish San Antonio, TX Posts: 880
    shep wrote:

Ok, so... Anyone here feel free to jump in and correct any mis-information i'm about to give...

Prior to Katrina (yes, I'm going way back) a lot of the less-wealthy people evacuated NOLA and moved to Houston as a temporary safe location. When Katrina went nuclear and destroyed 3/4ers of the city (insert when the levee breaks here), many of these individuals pocketed their FEMA money and decided to stay in Houston... never even went back to survey the damage. They all centered in low-rent neighborhoods here in Houston where FEMA had put them up "temporarily"... their are complete sections of suburbia around here you stay the fuck away from now as a result... but I'm getting off topic....

Anyway, from what I have been told by many of the Louisianians that I work with Metairie was one of the worst hit areas, with a lot of damage and a lot of abandoned housing that has never been restored... and is subject to a lot squatters, low-lifes, etc, etc even to this day, 8-years later....

Now this may all be hearsay, but every time I'm headed to NOLA I seem to always be given the advice to not stay in Metairie if I can avoid it....

I have ALWAYS heard to stay away from Metairie. I would never stay there, and as a female traveling alone, definitely NOT.

I don't think I'd be going alone.. not sure on that one just yet.. But thanks for all of this. The one I was looking at is about 10 miles West of City Park off 10.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    shep wrote:

Rhinomagic could chime in here. I believe you're right though.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:

If I'm wrong, than someone is really trying to keep me out of NOLA... :lol:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    TX
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    charlotte-north-carolina-skyline_1.jpg

Charlotte
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    shep wrote:

If I'm wrong, than someone is really trying to keep me out of NOLA... :lol:

I just booked a random Holiday Inn with hotel points.. so free! But definitely not going alone. Too far, too big for that.
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    postcard-folder-phoenix-arizona.jpg
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    NAUjackfan wrote:
    postcard-folder-phoenix-arizona.jpg

Nice postcard. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    shep wrote:
    old+texas+map+from+1856.jpg
  • Options
    shep wrote:
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    ComeToTX wrote:
    shep wrote:
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Ready to kick off pre-Derby festivities!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTb0lmYWwJRq4BuQ9N6X06VorwfYGcKXA1Hf2CpDDMtW2WjGJvkLg
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    :wave:
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    looloolooloolooloo Posts: 378
    Just stay away from Metairie![/quote]

I should have texted you, this has me nervous! I'm using a slew of hotel points and some change so it's dirt cheap. What's wrong with that city?!![/quote]

Now this may all be hearsay, but every time I'm headed to NOLA I seem to always be given the advice to not stay in Metairie if I can avoid it....[/quote]

Hey to all y'all that are scared to go to Metairie, it's for the wrong reasons! Although there are unsafe neighborhood EVERYWHERE in the Greater New Orleans Area, the reasons locals will tell you to stay out of metairie has nothing to do with crime! Metairie is the Walmart as New Orleans is the Boutique store! Metairie has better crime rates, access to all your big box stores, convenient to the airport, and perfectly suitable for a tourist to stay in a major hotel! However, you cannot visit Metairie and really have any sort of New Orleans experience.

The hardest hit areas during Katrina were the lower ninth ward and Lakeview, both of which don't have any hotels to stay at anyway:)

Best crime safety tips that I can give you - travel in groups, have a buddy system so if you get too drunk to take care of yourself your friend will take care of you. Call a cab instead of hoofing it, and be aware of your surroundings!!!

If you have any names of hotels you are looking at, PM me and I'll be happy to give you any personal knowledge of them!
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    loolooloo wrote:

Hey to all y'all that are scared to go to Metairie, it's for the wrong reasons! Although there are unsafe neighborhood EVERYWHERE in the Greater New Orleans Area, the reasons locals will tell you to stay out of metairie has nothing to do with crime! Metairie is the Walmart as New Orleans is the Boutique store! Metairie has better crime rates, access to all your big box stores, convenient to the airport, and perfectly suitable for a tourist to stay in a major hotel! However, you cannot visit Metairie and really have any sort of New Orleans experience.

The hardest hit areas during Katrina were the lower ninth ward and Lakeview, both of which don't have any hotels to stay at anyway:)

Best crime safety tips that I can give you - travel in groups, have a buddy system so if you get too drunk to take care of yourself your friend will take care of you. Call a cab instead of hoofing it, and be aware of your surroundings!!!

If you have any names of hotels you are looking at, PM me and I'll be happy to give you any personal knowledge of them!

thanks for the heads up. I figured something like this would be the case.

Just like any major US city, there are pockets within every suburb that you just stay the hell away from...
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    HOUSTON!!!!!
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    loolooloo wrote:

Just like any major US city, there are pockets within every suburb that you just stay the hell away from...

That's what I'm assuming. I booked a refundable hotel so if all else, I can switch it.. but I'm excited!
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    loolooloo wrote:

From my experiences in Houston, New Orleans and other major cities, its more about the Hotel one picks than the neighborhood and if you go to a good quality hotel, they generally will not be in really bad place. Hampton always a safe bet.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    callen wrote:
    HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!

Yes please!
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    50-days-to-go.png

To the 10th anniversary of PJ's last show in Phoenix :cry:
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    callen wrote:
    HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!
    AUSTIN!!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    shep wrote:
    Yo Shep :wave: :wave:
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:

Spent soem child hood days at Fort Knox....so will throw some love to the Blue Grass State...love to go back and visit...Fort Knox military museum, Bowling Green vette plant....
  • Options
    slingbladewyattslingbladewyatt Tulsa Posts: 73
    TULSA! Everybody is doing it!
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    callen wrote:
    HOUSTON!!!!!!!!!!
    AUSTIN!!!!! :mrgreen:

Even better! Or both!