Options

Edge 102 in Toronto hosting 'Backspacer' listening party

uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
edited August 2009 in The Porch
This Friday at a secret location prior to the concert...

if anyone gets in lets hope they post a review.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    ????

How do you get in on this?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,198
    BeerBaron wrote:
    ????

• Options
    mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    Just wait....only 30 days away......

ITS GOOD, BUT NOT THAT GOOD!
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:

How many Backspacer spins have you had the pleasure of having? Just one?
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    uglybabouglybabo Posts: 518
    BeerBaron wrote:
    ????

They're giving tickets to the concert away all week and if you win you get to go to the listening party as well.
  • Options
    uglybabo wrote:
    They're giving tickets to the concert away all week and if you win you get to go to the listening party as well.

That's pretty cool of the edge.
  • Options
    mach271 wrote:

Mach, how would you rank 'Backspacer' among the rest of their catalogue? And, would you also be willing to give us some little bits of information to wet our appetites? Thanks :D

And if any board member gets to be a part of this listening party--it is their duty to report back! ;)
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • Options
    tacettacet Posts: 323
    demetrios wrote:
    uglybabo wrote:

That's pretty cool of the edge.

The station still sucks donkey testicles.
    If it meant Todd the turd or Dean Buffoon are going to be there then I'd pass.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,323
    Pearl Jam is also holding a listening party in Toronto that day.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    Ryan_WFC wrote:
    :?:
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

At the Amphitheatre, I believe he means.
  • Options
    SS25454 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Ryan_WFC wrote:

But you only get to hear 2 of the new songs at that one :)
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I bet we get a third in the encores. Just a feeling
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    SS25454 wrote:
    BeerBaron wrote:

But you only get to hear 2 of the new songs at that one :)

Hopefully it'll be 3 or 4 tracks from the new record!
    Fuck it! The whole Backspacer will be played from start to finish!

:ugeek:
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

Hopefully it'll be 3 or 4 tracks from the new record!
    Fuck it! The whole Backspacer will be played from start to finish!

:ugeek:

Sure, why not?
    It's only about the length of an encore or 2.
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    HTZ FM in St. Catherines is doing the same thing except you can watch the show from the American Express zone which is on the side of the stage
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    edited August 2009
    So.... I've been listening to the Edge at work and even though I have 10C tix, I thought I'd give it a shot to hook someone else up (and because I like a PJ challenge).
    About an hour ago they played a mash of 5 PJ songs in about 2 seconds. They were "Corduroy", "Alive", "Animal", "Better Man" & "Black." I tried calling for about 10 minutes and wasn't getting through so I decided to get back to work. About 10 minutes later the DJ said no one has won yet.
    I conveniently work across the street from the Edge and decided to take 5 and try to win in person. I walked in and the guy told me I could definitely give it a shot in person. I did and he told me he didn't think my answer was correct. I then told him he's wrong and he laughed and said he'll check with the DJ when he gets off the phone with the caller. Unfortunately, the caller that was on the phone when I walked in answered correctly and when they went to break I asked the DJ if I was right and I was... They laughed. I cried.
    Post edited by DB41 on
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Deebs41 wrote:
    So.... I've been listening to the Edge at work and even though I have 10C tix, I thought I'd give it a shot to hook someone else up (and because I like a PJ challenge).
    About an hour ago they played a mash of 5 PJ songs in about 2 seconds. They were "Corduroy", "Alive", "Animal", "Better Man" & "Black." I tried calling for about 10 minutes and wasn't getting through so I decided to get back to work. About 10 minutes later the DJ said no one has one yet.
    I conveniently work across the street from the Edge and decided to take 5 and try to win in person. I walked in and the guy told me I could definitely give it a shot in person. I did and he told me he didn't think my answer was correct. I then told him he's wrong and he laughed and said he'll check with the DJ when he gets off the phone with the caller. Unfortunately, the caller that was on the phone when I walked in answered correctly and when they went to break I asked the DJ if I was right and I was... They laughed. I cried.
    Ahhhh crap. I work within a 5 minute walk too....Better start listening
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:
    About an hour ago they played a mash of 5 PJ songs in about 2 seconds. They were "Corduroy", "Alive", "Animal", "Better Man" & "Black." I tried calling for about 10 minutes and wasn't getting through so I decided to get back to work. About 10 minutes later the DJ said no one has won yet.
    Ahhhh crap. I work within a 5 minute walk too....Better start listening

Good luck tomorrow! I won't be in the office.
    Maybe Wednesday we can go in together!
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:

Sorry man! :( But wow! I can't believe they laughed at ya. If I was part of Pearl Jam management and heard about this, I would so not let The Edge even in on Backspacer leaks or prizes. It's funny, their DJ's @ The Edge got the power cause they got live mic skills; but they laugh @ their fans behind closed mics. Great job there guy's! :roll:
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

Sorry man! :( But wow! I can't believe they laughed at ya. If I was part of Pearl Jam management and heard about this, I would so not let The Edge even in on Backspacer leaks or prizes. It's funny, their DJ's @ The Edge got the power cause they got live mic skills; but they laugh @ their fans behind closed mics. Great job there guy's! :roll:

I took no offense. It was all in good fun.
    But if I do win this week, I think you may have an extra 10C pair to auction off if you'd like (assuming permission is granted... and I win, of course).
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

But if I do win this week, I think you may have an extra 10C pair to auction off if you'd like (assuming permission is granted... and I win, of course).

Don't think there will be a problem, if you are auctioning them off for charity. There shouldn't be. If so, let them contact me.

Here's wishing you good luck tomorrow & Wednesday! :)
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Don't think there will be a problem, if you are auctioning them off for charity. There shouldn't be. If so, let them contact me.

Thanks!
    Won't be in the office tomorrow. So I have Wed-Fri to give it my best.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,953
    Deebs41 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

Thanks!
    Did they mention where the seats are? If I (long shot, I know) win, I'll get my 10C tickets early (noon or one) and come deliver them to be auctioned off for charity as well.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,006
    Deebs41 wrote:

I tried calling in too. When I finally did get through I could hear the DJ talking to the guy who won. I think the DJ was mistaken though. The order clearly was:

1. Corduroy
    2. Alive
    3. Animal
    4. Better Man
    5. Black

The guy that called in said them in that order and the DJ hesitated for a second and said that he mixed up Animal and Better man but would give him the tickets anyways since he was so close. I wonder if you said them in the correct order but the DJ/Producer were mistaken. I had it on tape and am 100 percent certain of the order but the DJ said it was Better man and then Animal.
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:

*gives Deebs41 luck for a wednesday, thursday, friday win! :D
  • Options
    I am just as pissed Deebs...i got through after the first 2 clips were played.......I had heard 4 out of the 5 song clips but couldnt make out the 2nd one which was Alive......when i was talking to him on the phone i had asked him if he could play it again and he said he would be playing it again when they got back from commercial......I had corduroy,then he made me take a guess at the 2nd one and i said Daughter which was wrong so i proceeded to name the other 3 and he was amazed because i was the first caller that came that close right away.Anwyay when he played it again after the commercial i finally heard that it was Alive and tried calling in again with no luck.Oh well,try again tomorrow
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Did they mention where the seats are? If I (long shot, I know) win, I'll get my 10C tickets early (noon or one) and come deliver them to be auctioned off for charity as well.

The seats will probably be 300s or 400s I would think. I like how they geared the contest towards hardcore fans. Only sickos like us will be able to figure this shit out, it's just a matter of getting through.
    Good on you for trying as well!
    Hawk123 wrote:
    I tried calling in too. When I finally did get through I could hear the DJ talking to the guy who won. I think the DJ was mistaken though. The order clearly was:

1. Corduroy
    2. Alive
    3. Animal
    4. Better Man
    5. Black

The guy that called in said them in that order and the DJ hesitated for a second and said that he mixed up Animal and Better man but would give him the tickets anyways since he was so close. I wonder if you said them in the correct order but the DJ/Producer were mistaken. I had it on tape and am 100 percent certain of the order but the DJ said it was Better man and then Animal.
    I was standing right there when this was going on. I had the right order, but they already were giving the tix to the guy that mixed them up. One of us should be able to win at least one of the days. If anyone else is in the area, you can run in! Today it took almost half an hour for someone to win and it was some popular songs, it can only get harder, so better chance for us.
    demetrios wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

*gives Deebs41 luck for a wednesday, thursday, friday win! :D
    Thanks you, sir!
  • Options
    satanmansatanman Posts: 295
    I like the contest too. I tried calling for like 20 mins but couldnt get through. When did you guys call to get through?

D do you still need those foamcore boards? if so how many do you need?
  • Options
    satanman wrote:
    D do you still need those foamcore boards? if so how many do you need?

3 would be great! thank you! :)