Options

Brendon O'Brien producing next album?!?!!!

Comments

• Options
    dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    i would just like a new album..
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Options
    I haven't heard many things by brendan i disliked, his production on all the stone temple pilots albums is sick.
    He always gets my blind faith.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Aaaaaaaand.... "sick" is good? Bad?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    Be SoundBe Sound Posts: 199
    dirtyT wrote:
    i would just like a new album..

ditto :)
    Don't it make you smile
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yeah. some of the stuff on Springsteen's Magic sounds a little shitty.... but that's the norm in the industry today.. we had a thread on this a while ago. very compressed vocals and all the instruments sound like mush.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Let's remember folks....Adam Kasper did not write "Get Right" and Tchad Blake did not write Breakerfall and Evacuation.

Those two albums sucked because the band sucked. When I say "sucked", it is for Pearl Jam's standards, not other band standards
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Are you saying that Adam Kasper did write Help Help? lol :)

Good for him then! Help Help is one of the most adventurous and exciting songs on the record. I much prefer it over Ghost, LBC, Thumbing, Get Right, Arc, Bushleaguer and Green Disease.

I think it's safe to say the writing has lost a bit over the last couple. O'brien might be what it takes to get the band excited and focused in the studio again. I'm all for it

Who knows though. Just hope they really impress me on the new one, whenever they finally record/release it.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    Aaaaaaaand.... "sick" is good? Bad?

I be thinkin you just lost all your street cred with the kids round here.

I believe "Sick" is the new slang for "Cool"

just a guess though. According to http://www.urbandictionary.com

sick:

1)crazy, cool, insane
    2)what one is on a test day

1)man, that trick was sick yo
    2)i played sick on my big bio test da
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Options
    It won't make a difference to me who produces if the music is still as bad as on Avocado.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    It won't make a difference to me who produces if the music is still as bad as on Avocado.

The songs are good.....

The production is awful.....very muddy and Ed is buried in the sound.....unlike Vitalogy and Yield.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    After thinking about this for a while, I think I like Brendan's take better. It seems like he better focuses the emotion of the song. He might encourage the band to use Matt's skills better, too. More time signature changes and such.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    How About someone completely new, as a completley new sound would be too fun and overdue! :)
  • Options
    i dont think i can get excited about a new album until O'Brien comes back.

was their ever a reason given why he isnt their producer?
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    How About someone completely new, as a completley new sound would be too fun and overdue! :)

I nominate Rick Ruben!!

LOL!!!!
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Didn't they try and bring back Brendan for "Pearl Jam"...but he was already working on something?

Brendon brings out the best in the boys... IMO. They are at a point in their career where they are trying to stay relevant for as long as they can. Going back to Brendan would be a step in the right direction.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Im pretty sure he produced "Love Reign Over Me"...and that was excellent
  • Options
    I hope it's Brendan O' Brian... if not... well... what the fuck can you do about it!??????????? ... I meann what the &*(#^&$%&^ can you do about it???

the boys can actually produce it by themselves... anyway..
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Im pretty sure he produced "Love Reign Over Me"...and that was excellent

Yes he did...and it WAS excellent!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    that wld be cool but i would also like if a woman produce the album
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    that wld be cool but i would also like if a woman produce the album

I don't even know of any women producers.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I don't even know of any women producers.

me too only the ex -vocalist of the 4none blondes
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    in terms of sound quality riot act and yield are standouts imo, especially riot act.

but, a change is as good as a holiday, it'll be interesting to see Brendon's take on the next offering.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Nigel Godrich ?? (that would be very interesting)

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Yeah, Obrien's done some good work lately...
    Splinter - The Offspring (2003)
    The Thorns - The Thorns (2003)
    A Crow Left of the Murder - Incubus (2004)
    Alive at Red Rocks - Incubus (2004)
    Drive - Graham Colton Band (2004)
    Welcome to the North - The Music (2004)
    Devils and Dust - Bruce Springsteen (2005)
    Rebel, Sweetheart - The Wallflowers (2005)
    All the Stars and Boulevards - Augustana (2005)
    Shine - Trey Anastasio (2005)
    For Me, It's You - Train (2006)
    Revelations - Audioslave (2006)
    Light Grenades - Incubus (2006)
    One Man Revolution - The Nightwatchman (2007)
    The Sun and the Moon - The Bravery (2007)
    Libertad - Velvet Revolver (2007)
    Magic - Bruce Springsteen (2007)
    Sweat It Out - The Pink Spiders (2008)

Take out the Springsteen albums and there's not a good one on the list!! I really don't like O'Brien's work, and the fact that you guys do scares me.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:

Take out the Springsteen albums and there's not a good one on the list!! I really don't like O'Brien's work, and the fact that you guys do scares me.

except for Springsteen, that really is a terrible list.

• Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    except for Springsteen, that really is a terrible list.

yeah but its not like Brenden O' Brien wrote the music/lyrics for those albums!! Don't hold him responsible for the quality of the work there, he's the man producing...

besides, the Incubus records have amazing sound as does revelations.

Heck, go listen to A Crow left of The Murder by Incubus, amazing sound, and overall an excellent 'production'!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    yeah but its not like Brenden O' Brien wrote the music/lyrics for those albums!! Don't hold him responsible for the quality of the work there, he's the man producing...

besides, the Incubus records have amazing sound as does revelations.

Heck, go listen to A Crow left of The Murder by Incubus, amazing sound, and overall an excellent 'production'!

i'm not denouncing O'Brien; some of my favorite PJ saw his brush. Just a pity he doesn't work with more "off beat" artists.

• Options
    I haven't bothered to memorise the name of the guy who produced Avocado because the production on that album was 'dead' to me. Obrien's return would be welcomed..
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    smithnic wrote:

I was expecting to see that you are 14 and were trying to be cool with the "you guys scare me" thing. I haven't heard many of these albums but I know that The Nightwatchman's album sounds fantastic. Similar to No Code it has depth and layering. I love the way Brendan records guitars and vocals.
    Has Ed sounded better than he does on Vs. -> Yield and on Love Reign O'er Me? Just because you don't like Incubus, doesn't mean Brendan didn't produce their album well.

I think Adam Kasper did Into the Wild and I was happy with what he did on S/T, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was asked to do the next one. We shall see.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    I'm happy to see that some people noticed the same thing: We need O'brien back!!!! Avocado production was sooo bad!!! I'm pretty Comatose would sound a million time better if O'brien was there. And the new Springsteen proved that O'brien can do the job!
    "You're not what you own"
    Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

Wasn't there: Mtl 1998/08/20, Mtl 2000/10/04, T.O. 2003/06/28, Mtl 2003/06/29, Boston 2004/09/28, Mtl 2005/09/15, Ott 2005/09/16, T.O. 2005/09/19, T.O. 2006/05/10