Options

To settle all these NYC hotel questions here is the cheapest way to stay

MrStyles420MrStyles420 Posts: 272
edited March 2008 in The Porch
hey anyone looking for a cheap place to stay in NYC should look into hostelling international new york. It's $29.00 a night per person. It's on 103rd and Amsterdam one block away from the 1 train which takes you right to msg.

the website is http://www.hinewyork.org/
'06- Irving Plaza (What a way to see my first PJ concert), Albany, Hartford, Camden I & II, East Rutherford I & II, Pittsburgh

'07- THE VIC!!!, Lollapalooza (Chicago)

'08- Virginia Beach, Camden I & II, Washington D.C., MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II,
EV NY I & II, Newark, DC I & II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bump
    '06- Irving Plaza (What a way to see my first PJ concert), Albany, Hartford, Camden I & II, East Rutherford I & II, Pittsburgh

'08- Virginia Beach, Camden I & II, Washington D.C., MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II,
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    just so you know, those are where the city puts its homless people up for the night in some cases-they are not safe.
  • Options
    svenstephysvenstephy Posts: 182
    Get_Right wrote:
    just so you know, those are where the city puts its homless people up for the night in some cases-they are not safe.
    that's not necessarily true...shelters and hostels are very different.

you have to pay for hostels and the one on 103 and amsterdam is actually really nice. i've never stayed there b/c i live here, but i've been inside and it's clean and safe.
    it's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

these are not homeless shelters they are privately own institutions specifically for travelers. even though there are many hostels in the city I mention this one because it has an outstanding reputation and is part of the "hostelling international" chain which has standards

• Options
    these are not homeless shelters they are privately own institutions specifically for travelers. even though there are many hostels in the city I mention this one because it has an outstanding reputation and is part of the "hostelling international" chain which has standards

no kidding and where do you think the city puts is homeless up when the shelters are full? The ritz carlton?
    Trust me hostels are not the way to go in NYC unless you have a larger group that can take over an entire room, and be wary of any hotel that does not have a website or a picture of its facade

its simple, NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world, do you really think that 29.00 gets you a comfortable, clean and safe space?

Your wrong, but id love to be wrong.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    the union square subway station has a low nightly rate
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    no kidding and where do you think the city puts is homeless up when the shelters are full? The ritz carlton?
    Trust me hostels are not the way to go in NYC unless you have a larger group that can take over an entire room, and be wary of any hotel that does not have a website or a picture of its facade

its simple, NYC is one of the most expensive cities in the world, do you really think that 29.00 gets you a comfortable, clean and safe space?

I second this. The city DOES use Hostels as overflow for Homeless shelters - I worked in a shelter for 2 years.

Facts is facts...you have to fork over some dough to stay in NYC. The Gershwin Hotel is on 27th Street and has shared rooms that are clean and safe. Check it out.

Also, The Pod has reasonable rates sometimes. And there is the Harlem Flophouse.

Also check Craigslist. People have rooms and apartments for rent all the time.

Good Luck!!
    Pearl Jam
    Houston, 9/5/92, Nacogdoches,11/20/93, Austin, 9/16/95, Dallas, 7/5/98, NYC MSG, 7/8/03, Letterman 10C fan show, 5/4/06, Irving plaza, 5/5/06, Camden 6/1/06, NYC MSG, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
    Mansfield, 6/28/08, Austin @ ACL 10/4/09, Newark 5/18/10, MSG 5/21/10, Austin @ ACL 2012

Eddie Vedder
    NYC United Palace Theatre, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, Washington DC, 8/16/08, NYC Beacon Theatre 6/21/2011
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:

My mistake if the city has doe this but the fact of the matter is with research you can find proper hostels which there are. All it takes is a phone call to find out and there are hostels where you do not have to be worried. There are many many hostels in NYC but this one in particular is extremely reputable. That combined with the fact 29 is the members rate otherwise its like 35 which is more then reasonable.

• Options
    EddieNJEddieNJ Posts: 23
    Your best bet is to stay in a Hotel in Secaucus,NJ. There are many hotels with good rates. Its only 5 minutes from the city and you can even drive into Hoboken or take a taxi (4 minute ride) and take the Path train right to MSG. Hoboken is filled with bars and the ride on the Path train is under 10 minutes. Thats what I would do if I didn't live so close. I'm gonna drive into Hoboken, park, hit up a bar and head on over on the train. Train fare is only about $1.50 each way. Keep in mind if you get caught drinking in driving in NYC, they inpound your car nomatter what.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I posted a link the other day to the NY Palace Hotel.....$550 per night, top of the line IMO....much nicer than this extremely Shitty Marriot Courtyard I am sitting in right now (Boston)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    Didn't you people see the movie Hostel?
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    Didn't you people see the movie Hostel?

I have just added "any Pearl Jam Fan" who stays at a Hostel before/after MSG show to my $200 buy in Dead Pool....Im a shoe in.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    EddieNJEddieNJ Posts: 23
    Hoboken is filled with alot of yuppies, you just need to know the right bars to go to. Stay away from the locals bars and you'll be fine. There are many bars for all types of people. The shows are during the week so the bars won't be to packed.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    October22 wrote:
    that's just my $.02 but seriously, staying in any town in NJ close to the PATH or NJ Transit is much better than cutting corners at a hostel in midtown NYC. also keep in mind that bars in jersey close at 2, bars in NY close at four. PATH and NJ Transit trains pretty much run all night but with limited service after 1:30am.

see you there!

I have done this quite a few times. I usually have kids with me so we don't go to bars, but the PATH train is very handy to Jersey City. I've even parked my car in Jersey, taken the PATH over to Manhattan with my bag and then subway to whatever hotel I'm staying it. Less hassle than trying to get through the Holland Tunnel on a bad traffic day.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Priceline.com is your friend.

A 3-star hotel for ~$120/night is doable.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    October22 wrote:
    that's very true, actually. plus it will still be early so hoboken would be one of the nicer places to pregame before the show.
    ok . . . I'm sold on hobroken. where can I go and not be accosted yuppies?
    can't escape from the common rule
    if you hate something, don't you do it too...
  • Options
    PJLuisPJLuis Posts: 385
    Cheaper?

I am staying at my uncle's home for the whole week.

;)
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    If anyone has a ticket to offer for face value, I have an extra room in Brooklyn.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    You can stay with me...I live close to MSG...I will offer you room, board, and transportation right to the show ... maybe you like to drink, or smoke pot ... it's on me ... first class all the way ... you want a chocolate on your pillow as you turn in?

This will only cost you 1 TEN CLUB ticket to EITHER MSG show ...

And, just in case you want to also catch one of the Camden shows, or maybe the Hartford shows ... I live close to those venues too ... that ticket will be FREE .. just get me into MSG either night ...

THINK ABOUT IT

Need a reference?

Ask anybody from the Touring Van group ... they'll vouch for me.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Hostelling in NYC.

I have stayed at the one on Amsterdam and 103rd many times. I have NEVER seen a homeless person there.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen it just has never happened on my watch. My guess is I was always visiting in the Summer.

Overflow situations with shelters is probably more of a winter thing.

Staying in a Hostel in NYC is the same as staying at a hostel anywhere. If you are looking to save money then I would guess you probably won't be storing your Rolex under the bed.

Again they are safe as long as you use your head just like you would anywhere in the world traveling on a budget or otherwise.

Now with that said, I hope at this juncture I never stay in another hostel in my life. Been there and done that. In my opinion it is a young persons game. I'm now 34 and have stayed in Hostels all over Europe and Asia.

I don't ever need to sleep in a room with 15 - 30 other people with at least 5-10 snoring Ogre's ever again.

The Hostel in NYC does have internet access and if you travel with upwards of 3 or more people you can often pay double and get a private room. I don't know if the one on 103rd has that option.

That way you get a private room for 1/3rd what it might cost otherwise.

Also I think you have to share or wait in line for showers.

Not a great way to go, but for the uber budget conscience it is NOT unsafe.

Have a great show!
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    Hostelling in NYC.

I have stayed at the one on Amsterdam and 103rd many times. I have NEVER seen a homeless person there.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen it just has never happened on my watch. My guess is I was always visiting in the Summer.

Overflow situations with shelters is probably more of a winter thing.

Staying in a Hostel in NYC is the same as staying at a hostel anywhere. If you are looking to save money then I would guess you probably won't be storing your Rolex under the bed.

Again they are safe as long as you use your head just like you would anywhere in the world traveling on a budget or otherwise.

Now with that said, I hope at this juncture I never stay in another hostel in my life. Been there and done that. In my opinion it is a young persons game. I'm now 34 and have stayed in Hostels all over Europe and Asia.

I don't ever need to sleep in a room with 15 - 30 other people with at least 5-10 snoring Ogre's ever again.

The Hostel in NYC does have internet access and if you travel with upwards of 3 or more people you can often pay double and get a private room. I don't know if the one on 103rd has that option.

That way you get a private room for 1/3rd what it might cost otherwise.

Also I think you have to share or wait in line for showers.

Not a great way to go, but for the uber budget conscience it is NOT unsafe.

Have a great show!

If this doesnt convince people to pony up for a nice hotel, then its a lost cause. Come on people, you bought tickets for MSG and you know that NYC is not like traveling to Topeka......grab a few friends and split a nice room at a top hotel, no need to live like slobs.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    EddieNJ wrote:
    Hoboken is filled with alot of yuppies, you just need to know the right bars to go to. Stay away from the locals bars and you'll be fine. There are many bars for all types of people. The shows are during the week so the bars won't be to packed.
    Aren't most PJ fans yuppies?
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    one word about the path trains and hoboken
    I believe the paths run very infrequently after 12 am or so.

If I were looking for a place to stay in NYC, think holiday inn, quality inn, clarion, days inn, hampton inn, (i.e budget chains) I think they all have hotels in NYC and rooms should be around $200

those are the cheapest I know of

there is also a hotel on the west side called the milburn, I know a bunch of buddies that stay there for beacon shows and its pretty reasonable
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Get_Right wrote:

this sounds accurate to me...

that was post 10,000
  • Options
    EddieNJ wrote:
    Your best bet is to stay in a Hotel in Secaucus,NJ. There are many hotels with good rates. Its only 5 minutes from the city and you can even drive into Hoboken or take a taxi (4 minute ride) and take the Path train right to MSG. Hoboken is filled with bars and the ride on the Path train is under 10 minutes. Thats what I would do if I didn't live so close. I'm gonna drive into Hoboken, park, hit up a bar and head on over on the train. Train fare is only about $1.50 each way. Keep in mind if you get caught drinking in driving in NYC, they inpound your car nomatter what.

Thanks for your advice. This helps alot!!!!!!!!!