Lost a friend to suicide a month ago today.

BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
edited August 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
July 11th I lost a very close friend to suicide. I went to high school with him and then after high school we moved into a house together. He was one of the most kind hearted, loving souls you could ever have met. Accepting of everyone and easy going fun loving guy. Over the past eight months or so he became extremely depressed pushing all of his friends and a good portion of his family away. We were all worried about him but never expected him to do what he did. I know and understand now the friend that went through with suicide was not the friend I new, loved and grew up with. He was in a very bad place. I just wish I could have let him know how much we all loved and cared about him one last time.

The reason I'm bringing this up is to let everyone know that it is very important to let those near and dear to you know you love them. It's easy to do. Keep them close and support them in their time of need if possible.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read this.

Matthew I love you and think about you every day. We wish you were still here drinking a beer with us. Thanks for all the great memories. I miss you buddy.
Shows:
San Diego 2003
Grand Rapids 2004
Grand Rapids 2006
Detroit 2006
Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm very sorry to hear that. I can't fathom what a person is going through when they are in such a dark place. On July 11th, I was celebrating my father's 70th birthday. To know somewhere on this day that this happened is unimaginable. Rest in Peace, Matthew.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Hey pal,
    Suicide is never easy. Lost my sister over two years ago to suicide. Just wanted to keep it short and simple, but also wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you, and Matthew. His struggles and dark days may be behind him now, but dealing with the loss is never an easy task.

Love endlessly,
    care as much as it takes,
    keep everyone close, and mourn as long as you need to, my friend.

We're all here for the support. I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm open ear. Stay strong, for your friends sake. :)

Be well,
    Dave
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    lost one of my best friends to suicide 2 years ago. i was actually the last person to see him.

i know what you are going through and it is not easy. time heals.

be strong.
  • BinGnarly wrote:
    July 11th I lost a very close friend to suicide. I went to high school with him and then after high school we moved into a house together. He was one of the most kind hearted, loving souls you could ever have met. Accepting of everyone and easy going fun loving guy. Over the past eight months or so he became extremely depressed pushing all of his friends and a good portion of his family away. We were all worried about him but never expected him to do what he did. I know and understand now the friend that went through with suicide was not the friend I new, loved and grew up with. He was in a very bad place. I just wish I could have let him know how much we all loved and cared about him one last time.

The reason I'm bringing this up is to let everyone know that it is very important to let those near and dear to you know you love them. It's easy to do. Keep them close and support them in their time of need if possible.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to read this.

Matthew I love you and think about you every day. We wish you were still here drinking a beer with us. Thanks for all the great memories. I miss you buddy.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure Matthew knows you miss him and that you love and care about him. Sometimes depression just takes over and without therapy or medication it just becomes a downward spiral. Know that he is in a better place with God now.

I've known a few people who have either attempted suicide or have commited suicide. One of my kids friends(what a sweet kid he was), an old friend of ours killed himself years ago and someone that is very close to me attempted it but was saved.
    Unfortunately, no matter how much you let them know that you love and care about them, there are things going on in their heads that they can't get past without therapy. I was very lucky that a friend of hers saved her in her attempt. No one knew she was having the thoughts about it only that she started talking about how she was afraid to be alone. All I can say is if look for the warning signs if there are any. Mood changes, depression,talking about dying or even joking around about killing themselves. Our old friend used to say it all the time jokingly "I'm gonna kill myself" and then he did.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Suicide is tough...I've lost a couple of close friends.
    Time will help. I know it's cliche, but it's true.
    Keep your head up & again, I'm sorry for your loss.
    RIP, Matthew.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Very sorry to hear about your friend. You can never quite know truly what someone is feeling inside unfortunately.
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    I am so sorry to all of you who have lost a friend or family member to suicide. Major depression is a serious medical illness that can be fatal, just like cancer can be fatal. But just like cancer, it can also be treated. If anyone reading this thread is suffering from major depression, please find a psychiatrist who specializes in psychopharmacology. There is hope.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • just wanted to say that I'm sorry for this..but I'm glad that you got to know Matthew as the kind and loving person that he was...I hope you can think of the positive things to help get you through.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    edited August 2009
    I'm so sorry for this.. One of my friend's I've lost touch with through constant fights tried to kill herself three months ago... Reading this makes me wanna call her up.

Rest in Peace Matthew.
    Post edited by keeponrockin on
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    I too want to add my condolences to those who have lost a friend or a family member to suicide.

May they find peace they were searching for . . .

R.I.P Matthew
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Sorry for your loss, RIP Matthew.
    My friends friend took his life 2 years ago, on new years day, pretty much soon after the clock ticked over to 12am.
    Whilst we were out celebrating he took his life, now every new year is a painful reminder to his friends and family.
    My friends took it hard as you would expect, painful for all.
    Depression is an asshole.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Thanks for all the kind words. And if anyone going though the same thing needs to talk. I'm here.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Very sorry to hear about your loss. I can relate to what you are going through...an acquaintance of mine (knew him through mutual friends) committed suicide a month before your friend, on June 11.

The weird part is me, him and our mutual friend all hung out like a week or two before his death. We were hanging out smoking a joint in the woods. Everything was totally cool, he didn't seem depressed or anything and then not even two weeks after he hung himself in his basement of the house he shared with his eldest brother.

I didn't make it to the funeral but I went to the viewing a few days' prior and it was rough to see his body lying in a casket, void of life. It was pretty emotional and affected me strongly.
  • tyltyl Posts: 20
    I lost my older brother last thursday. He was my hero when I was younger. Past couple of years were difficult for him, and I feel guilty for not being more there for him. If I could change parts with him, I would immediately. I feel so bad for my mom, dad and my other brother, and the family he left behind.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    tyl wrote:
    I lost my older brother last thursday. He was my hero when I was younger. Past couple of years were difficult for him, and I feel guilty for not being more there for him. If I could change parts with him, I would immediately. I feel so bad for my mom, dad and my other brother, and the family he left behind.

My deepest condolences to you & your family .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    tyl wrote:
    im so sorry about that....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    tyl wrote:
    So sorry to hear.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • shermsherm Posts: 708
    tyl wrote:

I am so sorry for your loss. A couple of months ago my 19 year old nephew / godson shot himself. He spent 2 weeks in ICU but miraculously pulled out of it and it looks like he is going to make a full recovery. I felt so sick for my sister. It was such a shock to everyone. It's just such a hard thing to wrap your mind around. My prayers go out to you and your family.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18