Options

Pearl Jam vs Default...and why VirginFest isn't selling

Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
edited August 2009 in The Porch
There are two festivals happening in Calgary this weekend...
The 'other' one is a bunch of mainstream-rock Canadian bands, playing at the world waterski championships.
http://www.drenchedfest.com/

Check the daypass ticket prices...
Finger Eleven
Sloan (only band worth seeing imo)
Hedley
Gob

The stage is on the island in the middle of the waterski lake (I've never been there, looks cool tho)
I think people that are casual PJ fans, but also casual fans of any bands at this Drenched festival, are likely choosing this festival over Virgin Fest based on location, vibe, and cost...I mean...it's like Warped on Water vs a festival named after a corporation....and PJ vs CRTC-regulated-Canadian-rock-radio.
No wonder you can get PJ tickets for under face value online right now (I'm looking for one btw edit: found one :) )...
There will ikely be nothing but hardcore PJ fans at Vfest...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    http://www.calgarysun.com/entertainment ... 1-sun.html
    Seattle rock group Pearl Jam and Canadian punks Billy Talent will headline Calgary's second Virgin Festival.

"We really wanted Pearl Jam because they are one of the most influential bands of the modern era," Virgin Fest's Chris Baines told the Sun.

The second-annual Virgin Festival Alberta features a largely Canadian lineup, including Hamilton rockers Arkells, hip hop star K-OS, indie-electro bands Metric and Shout Out Out Out Out and Toronto's Tokyo Police Club, to name a few.

This year's V-Fest will be held at COP on Aug. 8 and 9.

About 35,000 people took in headlining sets by Stone Temple Pilots, The Flaming Lips and The Tragically Hip at last year's event at Fort Calgary.

Info at ticketmaster.ca and virginfestival.ca

This year's V-Fest coincides with the inaugural Drenched H20 Sport and Music Festival at the site of the Predator Bay Water Ski Club just south of Calgary.

In addition to hosting the 2009 World Water Ski Championships, Drenched Fest will also have two stages featuring such Canadian bands as Hedley, Finger Eleven, Sloan, Default, The Dudes, Gob, State of Shock and more.

"I think it's unfortunate that both events are happening on the same days," said Drenched event organizer Stephen Carter. "I don't think that was anybody's first choice.

"But we're very comfortable with our bands.

"We have a number of groups who have played Virgin in other cities.

"And I think our festival is going to be a lot more family friendly.

"I can't see a lot of kids wanting to see Pearl Jam."
    :shock:
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,927
    That sucks that both shows are going on at the same time, but I'm sure that anyone going to the V-fest will be blown away by PJ :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Sloan had to back out of this show, but Finger Eleven is still a good band.
  • Options
    meh...Finger Eleven is ok....I guess i shouldn't judge them as I've only heard the singles, and don't HATE them...tho I was SICK of Paralyzer pretty quickly. If Sloan is gone, that festival is super lame (oops, better be careful...first mentioning 'paralyzer', now using 'lame' in a deragatory manner ;) )....

also...promotion-wise, this Drenched Festival has had a lot of advertising going on even up in Edmonton...only mention I've heard at all of Vfest up here was a radio ticket giveaway.

We also have to remember that this is Calgary (small-ish - pop. about one mil)....plus, these people would typically rather be waterskiin' the Chattahoochi with Alan Jackson than rockin to PJ ;) But yes...if any casual fans decide to cough up $100 for V-fest, they will be blown away.

PJ has put on amazing shows in the strangest of places, at the most unexpected times....here's hopin this is one of 'em!
  • Options
    There is aslo a Blues festival happening this weekend that I have heard a lot of people are going to.

http://www.calgarybluesfest.com/

Still personally V fest has got my money
  • Options
    Well, then call it lame: http://www.sloanmusic.com/news/archive/ ... sinjuredin

Hope he's OK, he's a good guy.

And in my favourite Canadian band.

SLOOOOOO-OOOAAAAAANNNNN !!!!
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere...