Options

Really?? Dog custody battle

Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
edited August 2009 in A Moving Train
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32240294/?GT1=43001

TODAY staff and wire
updated 10:42 a.m. CT, Sun., Aug 2, 2009

Three years ago, Doreen Houseman and her fiancé, Eric Dare, broke up. Though they’ve settled many issues from their life together, a big question remains: Who gets their pug, Dexter?

This question may be changing New Jersey law.

On Wednesday, the former couple faced each other in court for the third time, both hoping to get permanent custody of the now 6-year-old pug.

The fight began after an agreement to share custody of Dexter soured when Houseman started dating again, and Dare, a Williamstown, N.J., police officer, refused to let her see the dog, according to WCAU in Philadelphia.

So Houseman took him to court in what would be a years-long battle that would cost each party $20,000 in attorneys' fees.

In 2007, Judge John Tomasello ruled that Dare, 36, would get to keep the dog and would pay Houseman $1,500, the cost of the pug. This decision may have come from the fact that Dare purchased the dog, paid the veterinary bills and was in possession of Dexter, WCAU reported.

"Dogs are chairs; they're furniture; they're automobiles, they're pensions. They're not kids," Tomasello said.

Houseman, 35, filed an appeal and was victorious in March, when three appeals judges disagreed with Tomasello’s ruling. Tomasello "should not have treated Dexter like another piece of furniture" and should have considered the subjective value, the judges stated.

It was a "landmark decision" regarding pet custody cases, said Gina Calogero, Houseman's lawyer.

The case went back to Tomasello.

Both parties deliveried their testimony before Tomasello on Wednesday. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the judge appeared annoyed at times, rolling his eyes and cutting short answers.

After hearing from the former couple, Tomasello ruled that Dexter was joint property because the couple had lived together and cared for him together, according to the Inquirer. But he did not decide the big issue — who would get Dexter.

The judge asked attorneys for both to file additional briefs and said he wanted to hear ideas on who should get the pug, the Inquirer reported.

"You both love the dog enough, and I look forward to hearing" suggestions, the judge said.

The Philadelphia Inquirer and WCAU in Philadelphia contributed to this report.

Ok, maybe I don't get it, seeing as how it's been 13+ years since I've had a pet. But seriously?? Spending that much money over the custody of a dog?? They must REALLY dislike each other now, and thank goodness they didn't have any REAL....AKA Human children.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    While we have 2 dogs, and my wife and I have jokingly said things about who gets the dogs if we split, I agree, I can't see spending thousands of dollars on legal fees. Basically, we've "decided" (albeit jokingly), that whomever's fault the divorce is, that person doesn't get the dogs :)

I don't doubt that each of these people love the dog, but I wonder how much of it is that and how much of it is just trying to stick it to the other person after a bad breakup.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    On a side note, maybe it's just my ignorance and lack of experience with the court system, but when an appeals court overturns a lower court decision, does the case usually go back to the same judge?

That just seems strange to me... a judge makes a decision, and then a higher court basically says that his decision was wrong and sends it back to him to hear the arguments again.

Soulsinging, maybe you're the person to ask, is this who it usually works?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Basically, we've "decided" (albeit jokingly), that whomever's fault the divorce is, that person doesn't get the dogs :)

Yep, and I'm sure you with both agree on who's at fault.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Basically, we've "decided" (albeit jokingly), that whomever's fault the divorce is, that person doesn't get the dogs :)

Yep, and I'm sure you with both agree on who's at fault.

hehe... yes, one of those things that sound better in theory :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    "Dogs are chairs; they're furniture; they're automobiles, they're pensions. They're not kids," Tomasello said.

ouch.
    yes, i get it...dogs are 'property' but still, ouch.

my husband actually pointed out this case to me. we are both avid dog lovers and have 2. our youngest dog, igby, is also a pug. i have always joked that if we ever split i could take EVERY dollar and possession we own, as long i let my husband keep igby. he agreed. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

ouch.
    yes, i get it...dogs are 'property' but still, ouch.

that Tomasello guy should be given his own chat show on prime time and a Purple Heart while we're at it. 8-)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.